Tell me about Jackson, TN - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dh has a job interview there, with Delta Faucet.

I see that it is somewhat close to Memphis -- I'd like to live as close to a big city as possible, but I think it's too far of a commute.

Thoughts on location, cost of living, crunchy areas nearby? etc?

Thanks. If they offer my dh more money and good benefits, we will probably move.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#2 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Bumping this, because we might be moving to Jackson for my DH's Masters program. This NorCal/Pacific Northwest gal is a bit scared and a lot excited about the possibility of moving to TN.

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM

I've heard that west TN is significantly less crunchy than east TN. One of my babysitters grew up in Jackson and she has nothing good to say about it. I've never been there to say for sure. I have been to Memphis and it's not an impressive city, good BBQ though.

However, TN overall has some good things going for it:
Midwives are professionally certified and all over
homeschooling is an option all over the state
you can legally claim religious objection to specific vaccines.
cost of living is low
no income tax

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lava mama View Post
Bumping this, because we might be moving to Jackson for my DH's Masters program. This NorCal/Pacific Northwest gal is a bit scared and a lot excited about the possibility of moving to TN.
I live in Memphis, and it is definitely lacking in the crunchy dept. However, I've met a fee crunchy moms here lately and found a natural learning school as well (if we don't homeschool/unschool).

West TN cannot be compared to the northwest IMO, and it's quite different than east TN. I've spent no time in Jackson except for a stop along the way to Nashville. Depending on traffic, it's a 45-1:15 commute from Memphis.

As koala mentioned, there are some good "general" things about the state. I know a lot of homeschoolers due to the state's extremely poor public education system. Cost of living is significantly lower, which is great for student families.

If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to answer.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM

My DH grew up north of Jackson and we now live outside of Nashville. Jackson has a mall. It also has lots of tornados. Dh said, "Who wants to know about Jackson? It's a terrible place. I wouldn't send anyone there you care about." BUT there are many small towns nearby plus Natchez Trace State Park, Mouse Landing State Park that I really like. I had a coworker who commuted between Jackson and Nashville but it is 132 miles. My guess is that Memphis is closer. There is a sizeable Amish/Menonite population and thus some natural minded local stands.

As a previous poster mentioned homeschooling and midwifery are all okay. No state income tax! Nashville has several homeschooling groups.

Best of luck!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#6 of 8 Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Ack! Now I'm super scared. LOL! I almost hope DH doesn't get into the program so we don't have to turn down an offer for the type of program he's been waiting 5+ years to get into. Not that he's been waiting to get into a program in Jackson, because we do have applications in around other parts of the country.

Thank you so much for your insight ladies! DH flew down to Jackson last week for the program interview and he said he wasn't too impressed based on his first impression. We shall see--we're playing the "hurry up and wait" game now.

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#7 of 8 Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM

Well, looks like we won't be going to TN afterall. There's a mixture of "yay" and "ah shucks" and a little bit of "phew! at least we can wait for something ELSE to work out" LOL.

#8 of 8 Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Im from Memphis well Cordova to be exact. And, Jackson is about 45 min max from me. I strongly recommend the commute verse living in Jackson. Im not a big small town gal though. I prefer to at least be close to a bigger city.

There are some places such as Arlington that would put you closer to 30-40 min commute to Jackson. It really is an easy drive. And, if you move there you would be only 15 min from me. A Like Minded Soon to be Mama. I have a full list of pediatricians/ midwives etc I can pass along in the Memphis area.

I love Cordova. I have been here for 20+ years. I just bought my moms house in fact. It is nice to be in a close community with space to breathe on your own. Traffic is minimal. And, we have fabulous Farmer's Markets.

Kirsie Mommy to Dylan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page