Please share your experiences giving birth on "The Farm" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-30-2009, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If any of you have given birth at The Farm, I would love to hear about it. I am strongly considering driving there from a few states away to give birth. I haven't heard very many stories about birth on the farm (just the old stories from spiritual midwifery) and I have no idea about the costs.

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 12 Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM

Back in early 2006, it was $3500 for a regular birth, $4000 for breech. Renting a house was $200 per week. I don't remember other expenses...

I loved the Farm! I switched to there at the very end of my pregnancy because my son was breech and my birth center couldn't attend the birth. We visited for the first time only three days before I went into labor, but I still felt comfortable there. This time around we're going for a homebirth at our own home rather than driving to the Farm, but I still recommend it highly.

Here's the birth story:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=589894
#3 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Harpersimon, that was a wonderful birth story! I bet it makes you happy every time you think about it. How empowering!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#4 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks! It really was great. I was really glad we found somewhere to go, since I was just about out of options at that point. Things would have been easier if I had known about Mothering then - there are homebirth midwives in our area who will attend breech, but no one mentioned them! That would have been an even bigger step for my husband, though, I think, and I'm very happy with how things went.
#5 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 AM

I haven't given birth at the Farm but Pam does my well woman care and did my first prenatal appointment back in October. The fee for me (I have a complicated medical history which may effect the price) was to be $4000 but they would file with my insurance company after the birth. I had to pay up front, of course, and then be reimbursed. I didn't try to negotiate or anything, I just accepted the price. The first appointment is $200. My well woman care was $60 plus the cost of the Pap.

I just can't say enough good things about the gentleness, the openness, the caring that is palpable there. I can't speak about the other midwives but the number I have for Pam is *her* number. When I call someone always answers--I've had several great conversations with Pam's husband. She is always quick to call me back.

It is definitely the right place for me to be cared for.
If you have any more specific questions please feel free to PM me...
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#6 of 12 Old 12-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Good luck with the insurance reimbursement. We had Blue Cross Blue Shield, and only got back $600 out of our $4000. You might want to talk with the midwife about splitting up the charge (into checkups, breastfeeding consultation, birth attendance, whatever), because ours was submitted as one lump sum, and I think that might have affected how little we got back.
#7 of 12 Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 AM

We had our oldest daughter there in July 1994 at the tower road house on The Farm. It was a great experience. Ina May, Pamela Hunt and Carol Nelson were all 3 at her birth plus an apprentice from Holland, but Carol was my primary midwife. We only had a couple months of prenatal care there before the birth (the rest was in New Mexico before we moved back to TN). It is a very down to earth place of course - feels kind of like summer camp. At prenatal appts, they never used an ultrasound or even an electric doppler (whatever that is called - heart monitor) - just the kind they press firmly onto your belly and listen. And in the clinic they told you if you went potty not to flush if it was just pee - they only flushed after several people would go to conserve water. There were always Amish ladies there for their prenatal appointments, so that was neat to see them in their traditional clothing. We had to bring our own birth kit or maybe part of it and we purchased the rest from them. After the birth, someone gave my hubby a bucket with the placenta in it and a shovel and directed him to go bury it in the woods! But anyone heading to the farm isn't going to balk at something like that I guess. We drove down from my parents farm where we were living - about a 2.5 hour drive, and I had our dd within 6 or 7 hours if I remember right. We stayed one night and then went home. I labored in the tub (just a regular bathtub - I didn't bring an inflatable pool or anything) and then got out and pushed for 20-30 minutes or so and she was born. Carol massaged my perenium with olive oil before my daughter was born and Ina May reminded me to keep my mouth round and loose and make low sounds instead of screeching (I was catterwalling a bit!) I mostly just chilled alone in the tub for the vast majority of the labor though, and they left me alone (I am a pretty solitary birther - can't stand to be touched for one thing except a cold cloth to my face) so my hubby was kind of just hanging with the ladies. My sister drove us down while I was laboring and was there to cook, make tea or whatever. Our daughter cried a lot her first night - it was absolute pitch dark there - there was no moon and no nightlight or anything in the cabin. I guess a newborn shouldnt care about darkness, that being what they are used to, but I guess it was just hard to tend to her in the pitch dark and then turning on the bathroom light was so bright in the little cabin, so maybe take a nightlight or something. And you have to take all your own supplies, linens, etc., so it was kind of like a homebirth where you pack up and take home with you. Part of why we went there is it was the only place we could find that I could have a real midwife (not one where a dr. still had to deliver the baby) that was covered by my insurance. My benefits would not cover homebirth but would cover a freestanding birth center, which the farm counts as. However, as someone else mentioned, the insurance wouldn't pay the full amount of their claim because it was more than the reasonable and customary charges for an uncomplicated vaginal delivery with no interventions. They literally did not intervention of any kind which could be counted as extra services and so the insurance didn't cover it all and we had to pay a thousand or two out of pocket. It was well worth it to me to pay extra for what we did NOT get! LOL! But I do think they could change their billing a little, like instead of just charging us separately for the accommodations, they should bill for the overnight stay and I am sure it would cost more than the minimal amount they charged us. Overall a unique and gentle birth!
#8 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM

Mine is here with a video:
http://wp.me/pbXEE-1h9

I birthed in June 2009 and paid $3500 for my first time uncomplicated delivery.
#9 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM

Guess what!
After $3500 for my June 2009 birth and 8 months of insurance company battle we are getting $2600 reimbursed from BCBS of Alabama... and midwives aren't even covered through our plan!

Pamela just submitted a itemized bill to the insurance company, most everything a midwife charges for is something the insurance company would cover at a hospital... After 8 months of resending the claim (because each time they mysteriously didn't receive it) we got notice that the claim actually was sent through the system and that a portion will be paid. Woot!

It's shady how the insurance agents kept telling us how the claim wouldn't be covered because of the midwife when we called to check the status, like they were trying to give us an "unoffical no" so we'd stop trying to submit the claim.

When the claim actually made it in to the system portions were paid, like the should be. Birth is birth and insurance sould cover it.

Don't give up hope over a possible insurance battle. If it's midwife birth you want you can always pay out of pocket and fight for reimbursement later. We did and are so glad.
#10 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i have a friend who just got back from one of their workshops for midwives. i am fascinated to hear what everyone says.

she fully enjoyed it.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#11 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM

I am having my 2nd baby there THIS month and live streaming the birth video for all to see. It is simply amazing there and I am so excited!

http://www.harvestofdailylife.com/about/updates-from-the-farm/

NW2SE likes this.
#12 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Hi, I am really considering birth on The Farm, because it seems wonderful but I have BCBS Georgia and they said they only cover OB's. So you just pushed the claim through and the finally covered some of it? That's good to know!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page