Asheville Schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2009, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started a thread a long while back talking about this, and it has since closed. I want to discuss this some more now as I am trying to get out to the Asheville area.

The private schools are very expensive, at least the ones I have looked into. So I am looking at some of the charter schools. Which ones are better than others? We are interested in schools both in Asheville and in the surrounding towns.

I really like the idea of children learning at their own pace and being encouraged to pursue their interests. I also like smaller classrooms, and learning with children of all ages, not just your 3rd graders, etc.

Can you help me? What are the really good schools?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Really? No good schools over there? We are interested in the Hendersonville area. And I am really liking Black Mountain! But any other areas would be good too.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Two of my kiddos go to Evergreen Community Charter School and we LOVE it..
I am an Unschooler at heart and this compromise (my kids wanted to go to a 'school') is the best i could have hoped for..
the school is an experiential learning school- based on the principles of Outward Bound
the classes are not mixed age BUT the classes interact in many ways- older kids reading buddies with younger kids, multi-age performances etc...
I checked many many schools around here and this was it for me.. the only one that resonated with our family and lifestyle..
there are others in the area but I cannot speak to them....
I live in Arden fyi- between asheville and fletcher/herndersonville-
the drive is 15 minutes...
good luck with your move-
let me know if you need anything else!!
Peace mama-
Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 PM

There is a Montessori in Black Mtn. We juuuust moved here and I've heard and read great things about Evergreen Charter, Artspace, Rainbow Mtn, and Odessey. And there are a lot of Montessori schools here also. Do you have a place to stay yet?

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't looked at this thread, as I have felt a little overwhelmed by the whole idea. But I know I need to get on it, because these next months are going to fly.

I have looked at Rainbow Mt, Odessey etc, but I do not think we could do all of that tuition.

Evergreen looks really interesting. Can you tell me about their academics programs? Or are they very unschooly altogether?

We do not have a place to live yet. We plan on moving in June (ish), and I think I will come out a month prior, rent a studio or something, interview some schools, and get aquainted with the area. But I know some schools take early applications, and I want to get my name on any lists of the schools we are interested in.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 AM

In general, the Asheville public schools are fine. Some of the elementary schools are better than others, but Claxton (fine arts focus), jones, and dickson all have wonderful reputations.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM

I live directly behind Evergreen School in east Asheville - and they play outside a lot. Especially in the Summer months - like all day with loud music blasting. I love it and it's awesome! Sure wish they did that at the elementary school my youngest attends - which is just down the road.

Keep in mind that Evergreen has a revolving wait list. When we moved here from the west coast in 2004 - the elementary school that our two older children went through (and now youngest currently attends) came highly recommended to us. I now know there are "better" ones in way of 'arts' but ours is highly - or highest ranked academically for the county. Friends of ours who moved here around the same time from the Bay Area actually pulled their daughter out of our school and put her in Claxton (AVL city school) for the Arts and more diversity if that tells you much or anything...

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
I live directly behind Evergreen School in east Asheville - and they play outside a lot. Especially in the Summer months - like all day with loud music blasting. I love it and it's awesome! Sure wish they did that at the elementary school my youngest attends - which is just down the road.

Keep in mind that Evergreen has a revolving wait list. When we moved here from the west coast in 2004 - the elementary school that our two older children went through (and now youngest currently attends) came highly recommended to us. I now know there are "better" ones in way of 'arts' but ours is highly - or highest ranked academically for the county. Friends of ours who moved here around the same time from the Bay Area actually pulled their daughter out of our school and put her in Claxton (AVL city school) for the Arts and more diversity if that tells you much or anything...

Hope this helps.
Thanks. This is good info to know. How is the neighborhood around Evergreen? Are there many parks?

My dd is in a public school right now, and academically, the school is fine. The classes are bigger than I'd like though, and I think it is important for the teachers to help kids out with social skills, as they are in a highly social environment for the day. My dd doesn't feel like she can go to her teachers when there is an issue, and I think there should be some good leasons on problem solving in relationships, emotional intelligence stuff. I help her as much as I can from the outside, but those teachers really KNOW the kids (at least they should) and I would think they could be such a good help.

I am not so concerned with the Arts, as encouraging dd in her interests, and helping her even get a good idea of them herself.

There is only one public school in this town, so I have never had the opportunity to make an active choice. I guess this is why an am so stressed about it.

Evergreen sounds great... and love all that outdoor time. I guess I should at least get my name on the list for now and see what other choices there are.

Anyone know much about the Francine Delaney Charter School?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking burp cloth View Post
How is the neighborhood around Evergreen? Are there many parks?
The neighborhood(s) around Everygreen are awesome and very park-like with no parks super close. The closest real park would be Haw Creek/east Asheville Library. It's about a 1.5 - 2 mile drive away from our home... as New Haw Creek Road is a busy Road (not walkable).

With that said, our neighborhood is situated off of that road and is very forest-like and open. It's also very mellow, quiet and low-key due to the fact that it's nestled back in a corner of east AVL with people really only heading back in our direction if they either live out here, attend/teach at one of the schools, or plan on hiking one of the many trails. We are up against The Blue Ridge Pkwy! I'd say at least 50% of the residents in our area are retirees. But our immediate two neighbors we are close with also have kids in the same county schools. So, they're like a pack and play outside a lot with one another. It's great.

Forgot to mention previously that on the opposite side of Evergreen (that faces New Haw Creek Road) there's The East Asheville Pool club (we belong to it - and cut through Evergreen to get there in the summer) and the baseball fields.

I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in AVL. We tried... but we came back to the east side because we missed it so much.

User Tag List