NC school vax exemption - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to know if anyone in the NC public or charter school system is like me Ivan received vaccines his first year of like and one at 18 months BEFORE I became religiously opposed to vaccination. Now is the time to start school enrollment. Have any of you all had any trouble with getting your partially vaccinated child into NC schools under the religious exemption? Thanks.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#2 of 27 Old 02-06-2010, 06:07 PM

It's all or nothing. You don't have to let them know you do have some shots. Just say we have NO shots. What they don't know wont hurt them.

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

#3 of 27 Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. But I read somewhere, maybe here, that the school nurses now have total access to all children's medical/shot records. Has anyone else heard this? For instance, I went to the dentist myself last year. All of the sudden, the hygienist pulled up my old x-rays on her computer. I did not sign anything or tell them my old dentist or anything. She said all records are online now. Also, I took Matilda to an urgent care last year. They had full access to all her medical records as well.

SAHM to Ivan 6/10/05 who says  signcirc1.gifand Matilda 1/31/08 who says saynovax.gif:::

#4 of 27 Old 02-06-2010, 11:52 PM

My understanding is that NC has a registry for vaccines administered. I don't believe it is accessible to school nurses, only the CDC. One can become "religiously exempt" and have prior vaccines administered. I would not provide any 'vaccine records', only the exemption. They are not legally able to ask you about your religious beliefs. Period.

I would not explain anything. I would reiterate the law only requires a religious exemption. I would not discuss it, as what you explain could create issues.

Wow, it is accessible to schools: http://www.immunizenc.com/AboutNCIB.htm#Registry

G.S.130A-157 - Religious Exemption

If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Part, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization.
(1957, c. 1357, s. 1; 1959, c. 177; 1965, c. 652; 1971, c. 191; 1979, c. 56, s. 1; 1983, c. 891, s. 2; 1985, c. 692, s. 2.)

http://www.immunizenc.com/Exemptions.htm

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 27 Old 02-06-2010, 11:56 PM

You are allowed to have a religious epiphany at any point in time. You just had yours after your child had some vaccines. As long as you don't plan on having anymore that might end up on the registry and blow your exemption, then the past is the past and you are now religiously opposed.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#6 of 27 Old 02-07-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! Yes, I had my religious epiphany at 18 months and he has had none since and his baby sister has had zero. That should present itself as clear if anyone digs. I printed out the nice neat exemption law/form combo

#7 of 27 Old 02-07-2010, 03:39 PM

#8 of 27 Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM

We had no trouble with our exemption form. DS was vax'd the first two years of life. I registered with the base school when the time came and simply submitted my letter with all the other paperwork. I did NOT submit or mention his partial record. Our base school staff did not bat a lash, just read the exemption quickly and filed it with the rest.

That was two years ago and now DS is in the middle of his Kindergarten year at a magnet school (not the base school). No questions at all. I was a little worried with the H1N1 hysteria but so far our school has been a) informing people of where/when to get the shot and b) to stay home with any signs of symptoms and give the child enough time to fully recuperate.

I've been boosting his immunity and ours with natural alternatives and so far, so good!

HTH
#9 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM

I just registered my oldest daughter at our base school last week. When she took my exemption letter she asked if it was for all vaccines. I wasn't exactly sure what she meant by that, but wasn't willing to take any chances, so just said yes. Similar to some of you, dd was fully vaccinated up until 2, nothing after and younger dd hasn't had any. She didn't say anything else, and filed the letter with everything else, so I guess we're good.

What magnet are you at luv2eatamango? I'm going to apply for Poe this week.
#10 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM

We are at AB Combs

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

#11 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM

We had no troubles either. I printed a standard religious form I got off this board and they never even mentioned it. You do still have to have a school physical though and they will ride you until you get that turned in.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#12 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminasmom View Post
It's all or nothing. You don't have to let them know you do have some shots. Just say we have NO shots. What they don't know wont hurt them.
I don't think that it is all or nothing. Some only have an objection to certain vaccines, ie those that contain aborted fetal tissue. I agree though that giving the school more information than they need is not necessary.

It is sad that NC does not allow you to opt out of the registry. In FL they did.

Mama to 3 wonderful children
intactlact.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.gifbfolderchild.gif

#13 of 27 Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the replies!

#14 of 27 Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Registered today. She took my form, smiled, and put it in his file.

#15 of 27 Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delaneymom View Post
What magnet are you at luv2eatamango?
We're having a good first year at Powell GT Magnet.
#16 of 27 Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminasmom View Post
We are at AB Combs
pm if you want (I don't want to hijack the thread), but are you having a good experience?
#17 of 27 Old 02-15-2010, 02:05 PM

My stepson was fully vaxed up until he came to live with us full-time (when he was four). We had some trouble with a nurse who was misinformed about vaccination laws (she said there were no exemptions for vaxes in nc ) and we had an attorney write up a letter explaining the laws. (Which IS that you can change your mind at any time concerning religious exemp) Everything worked out fine. Good luck!

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#18 of 27 Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Does it work for colleges as well? Just wondering
#19 of 27 Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthpartner View Post
Does it work for colleges as well? Just wondering
Any public schools, yes. Those which accept government funding in any way, per my understanding.

Pat

I have a blog.
#20 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Does anyone have any exact wording for state law regarding all or nothing? My 3 dd's are entirely unvaxed. Ex and new wife want to partially vax children now that they are almost 6 and 9. I informed them of the all or nothing thing and we do use a religious exemption for our public school. They had not heard of that and didn't realize that the girls would need the entire schedule. So I'm looking for some specific wording about not being able to use the religious exemption if you begin partially vaxxing. Thanks!

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
#21 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegrrl View Post
Does anyone have any exact wording for state law regarding all or nothing? My 3 dd's are entirely unvaxed. Ex and new wife want to partially vax children now that they are almost 6 and 9. I informed them of the all or nothing thing and we do use a religious exemption for our public school. They had not heard of that and didn't realize that the girls would need the entire schedule. So I'm looking for some specific wording about not being able to use the religious exemption if you begin partially vaxxing. Thanks!
There is no wording in the law about partial vaccination and not being able to claim exemption. Some people have religious objection to certain vaccinations and not others. However, if I partially vaxed, I would just sumbit the exemption, no records.

Here is the wording from the statute:'
§ 130A-157. Religious exemption.
If the bona fide religious beliefs of an adult or the parent, guardian or person in loco parentis of a child are contrary to the immunization requirements contained in this Chapter, the adult or the child shall be exempt from the requirements. Upon submission of a written statement of the bona fide religious beliefs and opposition to the immunization requirements, the person may attend the college, university, school or facility without presenting a certificate of immunization. (1957, c. 1357,

Mama to 3 wonderful children
intactlact.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.gifbfolderchild.gif

#22 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM

I think the issue is that now we have a registry and if we're using the exemption, begin to partially vax (which I'm 100% opposed to anyway) then someone checks the registry and sees that we've begun to vax after using the exemption but aren't entirely up on the schedule we would be forced to get the entire schedule. One of the issues with the ex is that they want proof of everything which is why I would like to find some sources of clarity on the use of the exemption. I haven't been fortunate to find any but am hoping someone knows something I can use.

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif
#23 of 27 Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM

Perhaps, offering information about the risk/benefits regarding specific vaccinations could help the ex? Which vaccines are they interested in vaxing? The easiest to skip, imo are the oldies which are "safer" than the live virus and brand new multidose vaccines. Polio, tetanus unnecessary. Also, depending upon age, there are fewer vaccines needed, which helps. Would they be vaxing in NC?

Also, the risks for different diseases decrease significantly beyond age 2. So, many vaccines are unnecessary exposures to toxins. Perhaps, providing information about the individual toxin exposure could help?

Here is a bunch of information with links which you could select bits to share, perhaps?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...p#post14023296

The other thing about sharing the law is the ex questioning your "religious" objection. I'm not so sure I'd open that can of worms. I'd almost rather they choose to vax "against your wishes" and state that to the school.

Pat

I have a blog.
#24 of 27 Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Does anyone have a sample/template of a religious exemption for NC?

#25 of 27 Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc3210 View Post

Does anyone have a sample/template of a religious exemption for NC?

Multiple options: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1030947/nc-vaccine-exemption-letter

Pat

I have a blog.
#26 of 27 Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM

I just read through this thread and am wondering if anyone knows if the NC registry is just for kids vaxed in NC.  What if I vaxed my kids in a different state (NY)...would the NC public schools still have access to the records?

I have a 27 month old and a 7 month old, both currently unvaxed, but we were considering starting a selective schedule with my toddler (and then my baby when she is older).  However, we also want to send him to public school and I know that can be a hassle when you partially vax.  We're currently in NY, and have an awesome ped who was helping us navigate everything here, but now we're moving to NC and the kids will, more than likely, start public school in NC.  I was thinking we may still have them partially vaxed by our NY ped when we come back to NY to visit.  Would NC schools have access to those records if I did not submit them?  I hope that all makes sense!

Jennie, mama to Wyatt (3/25/09) and Emma (11/22/10) novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg
#27 of 27 Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM

To all wanting to work out an exemption to vaccs. There is a natural practicing MD in Wilkesboro, who is also a chiropractor and naturopath, and he has two MDs working in his natural/holistic health clinic, too. He is very efficient at helping parents get their kids into school w/out vaccs. He & his wife did not vacs & all 4 of their kids have gone through the public school system. His name is Dr. Cohn & he owns/runs the Holistic Clinic of the Carolinas. he has clients/patients coming to see him as far away as Africa.

Karen Benfield, CNM & owner of BirthTender, a homebirthing, well woman, family planning nurse-midwifery practice,

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page