Looking for Asheville Connections - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK. So, we are planning on moving ot Asheville at the beginning of this coming summer.

I was planning on coming out once or twice to get a good feel for the area, as well as interview schools. (by the way, when does school end there?) But what I think I am going to do is come out a few weeks before we intend to move and stay until I find a home/school/neighborhood that will work for us. I will have 2 yr old ds, but dh and dd will stay behind until I can find a place on the other end. Then I can have our things arrive with dd and dh.

Has anyone done it this way?

Also, while I am in Asheville, I figured I would just rent a studio or something small and cheap for a month. But stared thinking it would be good to maybe stay with someone who has an extra room (or something). It would be nice to have a local who can give me some good direction while we are there. We don't really have any good connections in the area. Maybe it is a foolish thing to ask, but does anyone know anyone who would open their home up this way? I figure it is worth a shot to ask. I will be there with ds the first week in June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM

I, with my then-partner, and our 2 youngins stayed at the Arthaus hostel for much too long when we first came to asheville. I think it was a couple months... in a tent... in a postage stamp lot in downtown LOL! there's no wrong way to come to asheville I'd do it if I had any extra rooms in my house.

Not many asheville mamas represent on these mdc forums, we seem to pop in and out seldomly and randomly... so I don't think you'll get a good reply here. I'd try the craiglist "housing wanted" section, posting there, or the "temporary" section and see if any ad strikes your fancy There's tons of creative solutions - I opened a different house i lived in to be a camping hostel one summer here in asheville, because of a posting i saw on craigslist of a young family asking if they could do that anywhere in town.

good luck!
Julie
http://root-children.blogspot.com

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM

In addition to Craigslist, there is also IWanna. Just google that and you should find it. It was Craigslist before there was a Craigslist. I don't know if it's still thriving or if Craigslist has hurt it, but it used to be the best place to find rooms/houses for rent.

(I just realized that in the past 10 minutes I've posted on threads about the Triangle, the Triad, and Asheville... it's possible that I just need to pick a place to live and STAY THERE).

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#4 of 8 Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM

I would offer you a room if we had one. Def. try the temporary/short term listings on craigslist. We went through a bunch that way. Good luck and if you want to contact when you get here, feel free! Mary

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
#5 of 8 Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM

definitely craigslist - i found our house on craigslist FSBO!

also, there's a local yahoo group of asheville mamas that is VERY active, many posts every day.

it's pretty easy to sign up and then you can post there.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#6 of 8 Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM

I second joining the yahoo group and also found housing on Craigslist. I may be able to offer you a place to stay in June. I open my house to homebirthers who travel, so they get first priority, but message me and let's see what we can work out.

I'm hoping to be at midwifery clinic overseas during June so its possible you may be able to have the place to yourself.

<3 Nikki
#7 of 8 Old 03-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Where it stands, the last day of school (for Buncombe County - I live in east AVL) is June 10th this year due to all the "snow days" we've had. Our kids have already had to go to school one Saturday and have one more. I believe the normal release date is usually June 2nd. I could be wrong though.

We found our first house here through iWanna online before moving here in September 2004 from Oregon. The landlords were great and worked with us. Emailed us photos, driving directions once we got to AVL, gave us the phone numbers to get all our utilities lined-up. Just be forthcoming with everything in regard to the move, etc... and it should be alright.
#8 of 8 Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM

AshevilleMommies.com is a good resource. Lots of local moms on there and a good way to get connected!

I'm Kim... Coloradoan, nursing student, and devoted Momma to miracle baby Samuel (August 11, 2009)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page