Durham neighborhoods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might be moving to Durham! We are looking at houses and trying to get the new homebuyer's credit, so we have to move fast. I don't know durham at all (we're renting in carrboro) so I would really appreciate any feedback about where to live! It seems so big! We are looking at a place in the Lakewood neighborhood tomorrow...pros/cons, safety, other families there?
Thanks!!!
#2 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Is there anything particular you'd like in a neighborhood? I'm in Chapel Hill, but I know a few folks in Durham so I have a rudimentary knowledge of a couple of neighborhoods. I'm sure some authentic Durhamites could give you more insider knowledge than I could, though.

Are you looking for newer construction? Lots of young kids? Older, established neighborhood? Close to anything in particular?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Let's see...our ideal would be a "walking neighborhood" We're in carrboro now and can walk to weaver street, farmer's market, etc, but I think those areas of durham are prob outside our price range (2 or 3 bed under 200K). But being in a nice area just to take walks, go to the park, would be great. We definitely prefer older neighborhoods, low crime rate, and lots of families. I'm hoping to be within 30 min of UNC. Thanks!
#4 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 08:44 AM

Northgate park. We just bought our 3 bedroom with basement and fenced in back yard for 157k. Walking distance to museum of life and science, a rec center, and Northgate Park. There are several houses for sale in the area!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM

I live in Parkwood (in SW Durham) and love it! Lots of kids running around and little trails that go through wooded areas of the neighborhood to playgrounds etc. It's a little bit further from downtown which is kind of a bummer, but it is closer to UNC if that's where you are commuting to.

We lived in Old West Durham when we were renting, but similarly could not find anything in our price range for a 3BR/2BA which was a dealbreaker. Good luck!
#6 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Oooh, Parkwood is another good one. We looked at a house there and loved that neighborhood.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#7 of 9 Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Lakewood is definitely kind of iffy crime-wise, depending on exactly where you are. And there's not going to be much to walk to, probably. But there are some great old houses. If you were looking seriously at a house there, I'd just be sure to do a drive/walk through at night and see how it feels to you.

I lived in N'gate park and really liked it, and I think you could find a house in your price range.
#8 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your responses! Can anyone comment on Watts-Hillandale, Rockwood, Duke Park, and Trinity Park? DH really wants to be IN the city but close to Chapel Hill. We're noticing a real lack of sidewalks...hmmm...anyone live in a neighborhood where people really walk around? Thanks!
#9 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 08:51 PM

We live in Watts-Hillandale. Love it. No sidewalks but definitely plenty of folks walking around. It may be hard to find something in your price range, but I'd try looking on the south side of Club--Englewood is really nice but tends to be a little less $$ than the north side of Club. (That neighborhood is also known as Old North Durham, which includes Ninth Street).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page