Raw Milk in NC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm curious about raw milk, I've never had it but after reading about it here on MDC and through a few other sites I think I'd like to give it a try, but now I need to know where to find some. According to this site there is only this one company for the triangle area that brings raw milk in from out of state but I would love to find something locally - anyone know of anything in the area? Has anyone ever contacted Maple View Farms about raw milk before?

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#2 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM

unless you get your own cow, it's all coming from out of state since it's illegal to sell in NC. Not hard to find from SC, tho

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM

how funny because I was just coming here to post and ask about raw milk coops in Asheville area. I know there is an old post in the health threads but it's really really old and the woman who was doing a coop never responded in her forum and there haven't been any updates since last year

So are there any coops??? I did read about one place near Swannanoa and of course there is the low heat pasteurized that is brought into Fairview but I want real raw

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#4 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 PM

You all want to check about the amount of (GMO)grain the cows are being fed. It is hard to get 100% grass-fed raw milk, unfortunately. We get partially grain-fed raw milk from SC, but I always culture it.

You probably have a lot better chance finding nearly all grass-fed raw goat's milk locally. I'm thinking of going that route myself. Feeding grain is really unhealthy for cows (and their milk).

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 13 Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
You all want to check about the amount of (GMO)grain the cows are being fed. It is hard to get 100% grass-fed raw milk, unfortunately. We get partially grain-fed raw milk from SC, but I always culture it.

You probably have a lot better chance finding nearly all grass-fed raw goat's milk locally. I'm thinking of going that route myself. Feeding grain is really unhealthy for cows (and their milk).

Pat
I need to find out if Happy Cow supplements any grain. From their website it seems counterproductive to what he's trying to do with grassfed milk but we never know. Although it's not raw, it's as close as I can get if I can't get raw. I will have to check out the goat's milk, although I'm not a fan of goat's milk except for cheese

Where are you locate by the way?

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#6 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM

We're in Charlotte.

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm not in NC yet - but I have already checked this out. It's available you just need to join a herdshare. Check out the WAPF site.

http://www.westonaprice.org/chapters/index.php#nc
#8 of 13 Old 03-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaprints View Post
I'm not in NC yet - but I have already checked this out. It's available you just need to join a herdshare. Check out the WAPF site.

http://www.westonaprice.org/chapters/index.php#nc
I'm not sure about this. I recall a year or so ago, something legislative about wanting cowshares to be legal. Maybe it was approved for milk, or for beef? There was some issue about paying for the "service" of milking separately. I believe there were efforts to halt that loophole, unfortunately. I"m not up on the law, since we can get milk from SC "easily" (an hour's drive each way).

Yeah, I believe the linked resources in NC are for a "co-op" which does the milk run to SC, not for owning a portion of a cow.

Pat

I have a blog.
#9 of 13 Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM

I might be able to help if you send me a pm/email.
#10 of 13 Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM

My friend Billy can hook you up in N. Orange Co. Message me on facebook!!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#11 of 13 Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
IIRC, raw milk is available in NC only as "pet milk" (as in intended for your pet) and is not intended for human consumption. It's illegal to sell it for human consumption. Of course what you do with it once you get it is up to you. NC has cracked down at times, though so a lot of farmers don't wanna chance selling "pet milk" even.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#12 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 04:07 AM

#13 of 13 Old 04-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Fabulous articles! I just shared them on Facebook. Thanks for the links!

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page