Homebirth Stories in NC?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping to have a homebirth with my next pregnancy and wanted to be encouraged by some homebirthing Mamas in North Carolina. I know homebirthing goes on alot in NC even though it is underground. I would just love to be encouraged by some other NC mamas. Thanks so much.

Marnita
#2 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Marnita,

I don't have any advice, but your post just got me thinking.

Are midwives not allowed to attend homebirths in NC? If so, then crap. DH and I are thinking of moving to Chapel Hill and I want to give birth to all of our babies at home.

I might be comfortable with a UC, but DH would most definitely, no way in hell, be comfortable with a UC.

Good luck. I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and a beautiful birth.
#3 of 17 Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM

CNMs can legally attend home births, though they must have a dr backup. CPMs cannot legally attend, though I believe that many people still use them illegally.

There are several CNMs in the triangle area who do attend home births.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#4 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Have you checked out nchomebirth.com? There is quite a few birth stories there. Also, there is a meetup group (meetup.com) which encourages future homebirthers to come so you can hear birth stories and ask questions etc.

SAHM to my DD 4/05 aka-chloequestionasker and TTC #2 this fall
#5 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I've been on the NChomebirth.com and I've read those stories but I thought I might get some more stories from some mothering friends in Charlotte, NC.

Walker67 - What meetup.com group are you talking about? I can't seem to find it. What's their name? When do they meet?
#6 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 05:20 PM

As a doula, I've attended two CPM attended births here in NC, and I'm planning a CNM attended one of my own in a month or so! The two births I attended as a doula were for two of my best friends and they were with different midwives and both just fabulous. The first was a 4th child, first homebirth, 3rd VBAC. Mom had a very long labor (about 36 hours...positioning issue with baby and a VERY thick sack that just would.not.break) but in the end, patience and support was all she needed to birth her daughter kneeling beside her bed. The second was THE most peaceful waterbirth I've ever seen...3rd baby, first homebirth, very private waterbirth in their bedroom attended by just mom, dad, myself and the midwife. Nice, quick 5 hour labor and a nearly silent entrance into the world.

I'm hoping my upcoming birth will be JUST like that one!

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#7 of 17 Old 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleigh23 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I've been on the NChomebirth.com and I've read those stories but I thought I might get some more stories from some mothering friends in Charlotte, NC.

Walker67 - What meetup.com group are you talking about? I can't seem to find it. What's their name? When do they meet?

So sorry. Did not know you were in Charlotte. There is a meetup in the Triangle area. OOps

SAHM to my DD 4/05 aka-chloequestionasker and TTC #2 this fall
#8 of 17 Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

just had a wonderful homebirth in August with a CPM. My first was born at a birth center which was wonderful as well. I would get in touch with Nancy Harman if I were you..she's a CNM and probably a bit closer to you.
#9 of 17 Old 05-20-2010, 10:56 PM

I had my last two kids at home with Nancy Harman, CMN - who is licensed and legal in NC. She is fabulous. Another CNM also recently opened a legal homebirth practice in the Triangle area - Deb O'Connell.

So there are some great legal options for homebirth in NC.
#10 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 PM

So no matter what, a CNM has to have a Dr who backs her up? What about if she opens a birth center? I'm sure it would be a challenge to find a Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCA2008 View Post
I had my last two kids at home with Nancy Harman, CMN - who is licensed and legal in NC. She is fabulous. Another CNM also recently opened a legal homebirth practice in the Triangle area - Deb O'Connell.

So there are some great legal options for homebirth in NC.
#11 of 17 Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewDoula View Post
So no matter what, a CNM has to have a Dr who backs her up? What about if she opens a birth center? I'm sure it would be a challenge to find a Dr.
Well, the birth center, for instance, uses drs at UNC as their backup. As a patient you never see them (unless they have to transfer care). Even though I delivered at UNC, I still only saw the midwives.

So there are definitely drs out there who will be consulting OBs. But yeah, I'm sure they're hard to find. I imagine that's why there are so few homebirth midwives practicing legally in NC.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#12 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM

I didn't have my kids in NC but I have lots of friends who have and I'm a homebirth midwife here so I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, homebirths are going on here all the time! You'll have options, for sure! We have DEMs, CPMs, and CNMs to choose from.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#13 of 17 Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
CPMs cannot legally attend, though I believe that many people still use them illegally.
Just to clarify, it is illegal for a CPM to attend a home birth, but it is the midwife who is breaking the law. It's my understanding that the mother can have anyone she wants attending and helping with her birth (most dads who catch their babies aren't CNMs). So, there are several CPMs in the area practicing under the table, but the moms who have them attend their births are not doing anything illegal. The midwives are taking all the risk.

Midwife mamas, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#14 of 17 Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Yes, Beanma, you're exactly right.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#15 of 17 Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 PM

I had both of my girls at home with a CPM attending (she was an LM at the time of the first birth). Both births were beautiful, wonderful experiences. There are many midwives that will attend homebirths in the Charlotte area. I have never had any problems with people questioning about the legality of a midwife attended homebirth or probing for more info on who my midwife was when getting my girls' birth certificates at social services or taking them to their first ped. visit.

There is also a new birthing center just outside of Charlotte, over the state line, in Fort Mill, SC. I think it's called Carolina Community Maternity Center.

Happy wife and blessed mama to three sweet girlies chicken3.gif

#16 of 17 Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 PM

There are plenty options here.. CNM's are the only ones "legal" to attend a birth but its your right to give birth where ever you choose..

I just had a beautiful home birth in April.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#17 of 17 Old 06-28-2010, 05:24 PM

HI, Marnita,
You can find stories from locals in the Hickory/Charlotte/Morganton areas by joining the meetup groups in the area. There is one that meets regularly in Hickory and Charlotte, and my homebirthed and homebirthing daughter is a member of the Hickory one. She is also my steady assistant.
Lovely days to everyone everywhere,
Karen of BirthTender

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page