Triangle NC Healthcare Provider Info - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#31 of 43 Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You aren't one of the few. After having a very very traumatic experience caused by midwife neglect there I've found quite a lot of women who had bad experiences with wbwc. Be glad you went elsewhere.

#32 of 43 Old 12-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemasita View Post

I agree with Pinky that it's very hard to tell how they will "manage" your birth from an office visit.

I've only worked with clients used Kamm, Mackenzie, et al a few times but they seemed to me to be a typical OB practice. Nothing much different than any other OB practice in the area.

One of my current clients called Wake Med Raleigh to inquire about the c-section rate there and it's 33%. Since Kamm, Mackenzie, et al does a vast majority of the deliveries at Wake Med Raleigh, I would say their c-section rate is about 33%. A few points above the national average. So assume that your chances of a c-section under their care is also 33%.

I think the birth center's c-section rate is much lower than the national average. Maybe less than 10%? Ask on the tour - they will tell you.

Sorry just read the last part about asking on the tour. I asked that exact question on the tour an the nurse said she didn't know the exact number off hand but that most birth centers were 10-15%. I found out later that their rate was much higher. I was very disappointed. I felt betrayed.

#33 of 43 Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena13 View Post

WBWC doesn't tell this up front but they're rate is no different. After a c-section and infection that followed a nurse there let it slip to her that their rate was over 30%.

I wasn't aware that facilities providing medical services could lie about their statistics?  At any rate, I don't see anywhere on their website that they advertise a "c-section rate"--only that they transfer approximately 12% of their patients to UNC for various reasons. That means that 88% of expecting mothers who plan on delivering there do, which means that 88% of their patients have the natural, unmedicated birth they expected.

Understandably, a free-standing birthing center isn't for everyone and shouldn't be.  They're as careful about accepting mothers as mothers should be about selecting them.  Though we were, unfortunately, in the 12% minority that were transferred, I feel really thankful for our experience and the support and care we received. 

everyday adventures of a CDing, BFing, co-sleeping, natural living, fiber artist mama
#34 of 43 Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM

I'm very sorry that Xena had such a bad experience.  But you're going to find *somebody* who had awful experiences with any practice.  And those people will obviously tell you not to go there!

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#35 of 43 Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM

I do wonder, though, if their transfer rate includes before-labor transfers like me.  I was an induction due to medical problems.

#36 of 43 Old 01-01-2011, 04:27 PM

I birthed with WBWC and I have mixed feelings about it- there were things I did and didn't like although I am feeling like I will still go there for my next babe. I ultimately ended up at UNC for my birth and had a great experience. Being in the midwives care at the hospital was the right thing for my birth but I'm not sure it would be again. Since my sons birth I have definitely heard a lot of bad experiences with WBWC where before I felt like I only heard the good stuff. I think no place is going to be perfect though and I'm glad I have done so much of my own research so I have a better grasp on what I want and can be very assertive with my heath care providers. 

I am really shocked that they turned you away Ashley for a history of depression! :hug I have a history of depression and was not only referred to a wonderful counselor through them but they also hooked me up with the UNC perinatal mood disorder clinic where I still go 2 years later.  I found them to be extremely accommodating with my mental health history! I was worried that they would refuse me for my BMI but they never mentioned it and then recently I heard about someone being turned away because of their weight. Maybe they're so popular now they can be more picky? I don't know, but the inconsistency is pretty disturbing. 

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#37 of 43 Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

My experience is that it depends a LOT on who you see.  Every midwife is different, and with so much subjectivity to these things, it could make or break your experience. 

#38 of 43 Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM

I just wanted to say that Kamm, McKenzie, etc. is not the place to go if you want a natural birth or personalized care.  Most of the doctors there push all kinds of intervention at you and are pretty c-section happy.  They are pretty nice, just not into natural childbirth.  I had my daughter with them via c-section, and 3 out of the 5 other people that I know who used this practice also had c-sections.  When I decide to have another baby, I will be looking for a natural childbirth friendly OB or midwife that is willing to help me have a successful VBAC.  Speaking of which....if anyone here knows a good one, please let me know. :)

As for WakeMed, I must say I had a pretty positive experience with the hospital itself.  I work there (and have worked in other area hospitals) and I would not want to have a baby at any hospital other than WakeMed Raleigh or Cary.  I had all great nurses except for one.  All of the staff was very kind and helpful.  Though it may seem biased, I really cannot say enough good things about WakeMed and its staff.

#39 of 43 Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 AM

I also loved my experience at WBWC and don't believe for one second that their c/s rate is 30%.  That's just ridiculous.  I have heard other things from local medical people (not affiliated with WBWC) about WBWC that turned out not to be true.  When I gave birth to my first son there in 2009, their c/s rate was 4%.  That was the number that was told to me.  They do automatically weed out some people that would be more likely to need a c/s--they don't take any high risk patients or twins and such.

I think a lot of a person's experience with any kind of provider depends on their expectations.  Some of the midwives at WBWC come across as more "medical" than others.  Some recommend homeopathic remedies and I have a feeling that others wouldn't.  So, again, there's going to be a difference in experience depending on the actual midwife you get care from.

You have to go with whatever situation will make you feel most comfortable.  I felt most comfortable in the less medical environment of the birth center.  I didn't want to birth at home, but I didn't want to birth at the hospital either.  After watching my sister give birth in the hospital, I can see how that choice would be the best choice for some people.  I still think it's not the best choice for me.

#40 of 43 Old 03-26-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to update this thread since I began it seeking help with a choice between a hospital birth with Kamm, McKenzie, etc or with Womens Birth and Wellness Center. I chose WBWC and I am so glad that I did. I am almost 3 months post partum and here is a a bit about my experience.

First of all, I asked about the 30% C-Section rate mentioned on the forum and a midwife told me this person was misinformed and gave me their % which was in the teens.

I think they must have a criteria for evaluating patients with depression history. I had a history of depression, but I had treatment and it has been gone for many years. I also had a therapist I could consult if necessary. During the later prenatal visits, home visit and 6 wk ck up they asked me many questions about how I was feeling emotionally and made sure my husband and I were aware of PPD symptoms/resources. I had already read a couple of pregnancy books and had my husband read chapters dedicated to PPD since having any depression history raises your risk for PPD. Thankfully, this was not an issue we experienced.

The prenatal care was great. I love their attention to your prenatal nutrition. I can echo from a previous poster that I felt supported, empowered and important. Every prenatal visit I had a list of various questions about pregnancy, about their practices and about my concerns. Every visit my questions were patiently answered and I was given really great info and referred to extra resources for info when necessary. I never felt like I didn't have a voice and when I had a different opinion about an issue I always felt heard. Most of the midwives were incredibly knowledgeable about every question I had. I never felt rushed. Each visit I felt like everyone at WBWC was glad to see me and it didn't feel clinical. I met and liked all the midwives, but I definitely had a favorite for whom I crossed my fingers to get during my delivery (and it worked:).

My birth experience was awesome. I was lucky to have 2 midwives in attendance, b/c a midwife in training was doing her clinicals. I met her during prenatal visits, liked her a lot and was really happy to see her when she arrived. This was my first birth so I was experiencing the unknown. I felt safe, respected and nurtured. The midwives worked very hard to make sure I was comfortable and had energy. I spent a long time laboring in the tub. The nurses were also very kind and accommodating. My beautiful son came into this world with a special  CD playing and we call it his soundtrack. My doula was also impressed with the care I was given. I had a cervical lip that wouldn't budge and the midwives carefully worked it open. My doula has had a few clients with this issue and I was the first that was able to give birth naturally, but I was also her first client at WBWC. There is a good chance that if I would have chosen the hospital setting I would not have been able to deliver naturally. My son was over 8 lbs and I didn't need any stitches. I attribute this to how they guided me through the process,as well as the fact that they basted me in olive oil. I didn't even feel the need for the ibuprofen the nurse offered after it was all said and done. I will always have a special affinity for the 2 midwives who guided us on that journey. My son was born at night, so my husband and I climbed into the bed together and took turns sleeping with our son chest to chest:) Heaven!!!

The nurse came to visit us at home just before the snow storm came. Our son ended up with some jaundice issues and WBWC was proactive to keep him healthy. They were very patient and empathetic with me during this process. We called the midwife on call several times during the first few weeks for other concerns and questions that turned out to be just fine. We were always contacted promptly with good info and kindness. Our six week visit was great and we were able to see our 2 midwives again! At that point, they usually refer you to your pediatrician with any more baby concerns, but they remain there for patient breast feeding issues. I ended up needing some help a couple of weeks later due to over supply of milk causing some spit up issues for my son. Funny thing is, I didn't realized it was due to over supply. The nurse recognized the symptoms based on the description in the message we left with the person answering the phone. She gave me some tips and also referred me to kellymom.com for some visual examples of alternate nursing positions.

Bottom line: WBWC embodies the notion of powerful womanhood and supportive sisterhood. The birth center environment is calm and homey.

I still like Kamm, McKenzie and I love Dr. Smith. I just needed what WBWC offers.

Thank you to each person who took the time to respond to my question. Your insights helped me make a really great decision. I hope this thread proves helpful to others:) I agree with Jayray. Every woman has different birth needs and it is important to figure out what is best for yourself and to respect what others choose for themselves.

neonectar likes this.

nocirc.gifdelayedvax.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed1.gifflowerkitty.gifVEGAN
#41 of 43 Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the great update! 

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#42 of 43 Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM

I just had my baby with WBWC 2 months ago and I don't think I would go back for the next one. For me the best part was the prenatal care-- they really sit and listen to all of your concerns and try to help. For a first-time mom, it's the best you are going to find I think. My birth ended up at UNC-- we transfered for "failure to progress" after I had been in labor for 30 hours. For the entire day I was at the birth center before the transfer, I relied mainly on my doula. The midwife who was there when I got there checked me and then suggested I take meds to sleep. She didn't notice/tell us that the baby had flipped posterior. I could have done some positioning right then and there to avoid so much back labor. My husband said that he felt we were somewhat neglected during the day. The midwife and nurses really only check in occasionally and you are pretty much let alone...so I strongly suggest a doula. I felt much more relaxed after we got to UNC. Their rooms are more "medical" but they are still very nice. They all have showers and tubs with jets (too small for water birth though). The nurses I had at UNC were very supportive of natural labor and were constantly checking to see if we needed anything. You still have the midwife from the birth center during your delivery (unless of course you need CS). I eventually needed an epidural for exhaustion, but my cervix finally opened after a couple hours of sleep. During delivery my midwife yelled at me to "PUSH," which I also thought they wouldn't do. I needed my asthma inhaler but couldn't ask for it and I really wish the midwife had read my chart to know I may not have enough air to hold my breath. I stayed at the hospital for 24 hours, which was perfect-- I can't imagine going home so soon from the birth center! Overall, I wouldn't say it was a terrible experience because I ended up with a beautiful baby and only one stitch, but I don't think that you will get 100% natural at the birth center any more than at UNC. Next time I think I will try the midwives at UNC. 

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#43 of 43 Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 AM

Make sure to include all your issues on the survey they give you! 

I think some midwives are better than others, and they need to know.  I had some issues with one of the midwives, so I included that- who knows if it did any good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page