Triangle Mothers: Book Club? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, a while ago some of us talked about having a book club. SeekingJoy even suggested a book (which I read and enjoyed). But it never panned out. I would really love to have a book club, though. (I'm already in one, but you can't read too much or spend too much time talking about books, IMO!)

Since we have so many new faces at playgroup these days, I thought it would be a great time to bring the idea up again. So, please post here if you're interested, what times would work for you, what you like to read, and any ideas about where to meet.

I'll start! I would prefer a weekend meeting, as I work many weekday evenings. If the preference is for a weeknight, though, I could just arrive late (I get off work at 8 pm). Sunday afternoons would be ideal for me. I am a fairly omnivorous reader and will give just about anything a try; for a book club I do prefer titles with plenty of depth to discuss. I read scifi/fantasy, historical fiction, general fiction, nonfiction, and the occasional mystery. I would be happy to host a meeting at my house. Or, if we want coffee, there's a Caribou at Cary Parkway and High House that I like because it's pretty spacious.

Anyone else interested?
#2 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 AM

I'm very much interested! I used to be in a great book club and I really miss it! A Sunday afternoon meeting time would be great for me and I think it would be good for all our working moms (I know Rhi would want to come )

for choosing a book why don't we compile a list of books we'd like to suggest (and we can add why if we want) and then we can 'vote' on the ones we want to read and the ones with the most votes, I dunno... the top 3 maybe could be our books for the next 3 months. Does that sound like a good system for choosing a book? That way we are reading stuff that most of us want to read. Another idea is for us to do that AT a meeting. Maybe we can meet once at the beginning (like this or next Sunday) and talk and suggest books and we can actually write out the list and pick the books.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#3 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM

I would be into it for sure! I've just finished a book and I've kind of being thinking about my next read. Sunday afternoons should be a fine time for me to meet.

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

#4 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM

I'm game! I might not be able to go to every meeting, since most of you live 30-40 minutes away and my time with L is already too limited. But I'd like to be a part, for sure! They could be literary MNOs.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I'm so glad some folks are interested. Would Sunday the 10th work for an initial meeting to choose books? Or should we go ahead and choose a book to read in this thread, and then wait until maybe the end of October to meet so we all have time to read it?

Also, I am perfectly fine with having meetings in Durham if that's more convenient. Is there a coffee shop or something that would work?
#6 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 02:53 PM

I vote for picking a book when we get together - would Southpoint work as a meeting point? There's a barnes and noble there with a starbucks in it

#7 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Southpoint works for me. For the initial meeting, would anyone have an issue if I brought L with me? It's not like we'd be having a discussion of the book itself.

#8 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I almost suggested in my last post that you bring L to regular meetings, since she's still too little for you to have to chase her around, but then I thought maybe you wanted a break and time to yourself, so I didn't post it. I think it'd be great if you brought her, though!
#9 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
Actually, I almost suggested in my last post that you bring L to regular meetings, since she's still too little for you to have to chase her around, but then I thought maybe you wanted a break and time to yourself, so I didn't post it. I think it'd be great if you brought her, though!
I'll come to almost all the meetings if she can come with me! I'd looove that. We'll see how it goes. If she is too distracting we'll change game plans. She's at an age right now where I can plop her down on the floor and give her some toys and she'll just sit there.

#10 of 27 Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM

I'm in. April, didn't you say before that there is a list through the library of book club kits or something? Maybe we could start from that list, suggest ones we like, and vote on those?
#11 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Ooh, I want to do it, too! Sundays in general work for me, but we'll be out of town on the 10th, so I won't be able to make it to the initial meeting.

joy.gifLoving life with   geek.gifDH   biggrinbounce.gifDS1 (5/7/09) and   babyboy.gifDS2 (7/23/11)

#12 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 PM

There is also the possibility of having the meetings in the form of an online chat. Then nobody has to travel, or get dressed, or brush their teeth.

With some of my friends we have used Chatzy for chats. One person sets one up and posts a link, and then anyone can pop in at any time. You input your name and select a color when you enter.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#13 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... I don't want to have a meeting on the 10th if it doesn't work for everyone who's interested! Is the 17th good for everyone?

I would personally prefer in person meetings. First of all, I like seeing everyone, and I don't mind driving (since I won't have Mr. Can't Stay Awake In the Car with me). Also, I think I'd have a hard time making sure I would get uninterrupted me time if I was just at home sitting on my computer! But I would consider the online meetings if everyone else prefers it.
#14 of 27 Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 PM

I dont have time to read the whole thread right now, but I am DEFINITELY interested, and will check out your ideas for when.

Marissa wife to Michael
mommy to Lorien 10/17/07 and Cyprian 6/5/10
#15 of 27 Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM

I would also prefer in-person meetings, would love to particiate in a book club, don't have a preference about what we read, and the 10th works for me, but not the 17th.

Is there a way to add a poll feature to this thread so we can see which date works for more people?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#16 of 27 Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

I went into the advanced editing for the original post and didn't see a way to add a poll after the fact. I will start a new thread with one.
#17 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM

so I saw some mentioning of meeting at the Barnes and Noble at Southpoint on Sundays - if so, I'd love to come. Not sure I'd really be able to fully read a book, but I'd love to try and would definitely enjoy getting together with some MDC moms in this area.
#18 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm not sure I am ambitious enough to try to join this. Will I be able to read the book at all? Will I be able to persuade DH to watch DS so I can go to the meetings? I can't see either of those happening. <sigh>

#19 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I would love to join, too; Southpoint may be a little too far for me (~30min - I'm in Apex), but if it's only like once a month or so, I could prob manage!

~Ashley, wife to high school sweetheart and best friend Courtney, and BFing, CDing, BWing, , vaxing SAHM to Liam, 4/29/10, and 2 furbabies: Buddy and Abbie
#20 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 02:57 PM

snowflakemama, I am also in Apex! Have you been to our Wednesday Triangle playgroup before?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#21 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
snowflakemama, I am also in Apex! Have you been to our Wednesday Triangle playgroup before?
Not yet! I've been hoping to, but a little shy, I guess Plus I have a 5mo little guy, so I don't know how much "playing" he would do! But I am so ready to get out and meet other mamas! Been feeling a little isolated... where and what time is the playgroup?

~Ashley, wife to high school sweetheart and best friend Courtney, and BFing, CDing, BWing, , vaxing SAHM to Liam, 4/29/10, and 2 furbabies: Buddy and Abbie
#22 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakemama View Post
Not yet! I've been hoping to, but a little shy, I guess Plus I have a 5mo little guy, so I don't know how much "playing" he would do! But I am so ready to get out and meet other mamas! Been feeling a little isolated... where and what time is the playgroup?
I took my now 6 month old, then 1-3 month old to a bunch of play dates. She didn't really "play" but rather just stayed in the carrier on me the whole time, while I got to talk to adults. Really, I had it easy since I didn't have to chase a toddler!!!

Also, you can just bring a blanket and chill out there with baby and mamas will come to you

#23 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Snowflakemama, it is important to know that our Wednesday playdates are really all about the mamas hanging out. We use getting the kids together to play as an excuse. Join us!!!
#24 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Yeah, it is absolutely for me. Rosti would be just as happy staying home.

#25 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Great! Sorry - I feel like I hijacked this thread... I will keep an eye out for the next wed group and try to come! Thanks so much

#26 of 27 Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflakemama View Post
Oh please join us! I admit that I skipped many playdates after my son was born because I was feeling too shy to meet up but I am SO glad I did. And when you meet me IRL you will laugh because I'm totally not shy!

#27 of 27 Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
I'm not sure I am ambitious enough to try to join this. Will I be able to read the book at all? Will I be able to persuade DH to watch DS so I can go to the meetings? I can't see either of those happening. <sigh>
BTW, DH says he is fine with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page