Triangle Book Club First Meeting Date - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: When should we have our first book club meeting?
Sunday, October 10 4 36.36%
Sunday, October 17 5 45.45%
I don't care 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

1 2 
North and South Carolina and Tennessee > Triangle Book Club First Meeting Date
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 10:02 AM 10-01-2010
Let's decide when to have an initial meeting to choose books!

rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:13 AM 10-01-2010
I'll be out of town for my dad's birthday on the 17th. But if that works for more people, go for it, I'm sure I'll like whatever book you choose. Carhootel knows what i like.
Biscuits & Gravy 08:27 PM 10-01-2010
I can't make it to either date. Can we get a list together ahead of time so I can vote?
TCA2008's Avatar TCA2008 12:03 AM 10-02-2010
where would we meet? I'm wondering geographically.....
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 12:27 AM 10-02-2010
In the other thread, someone suggested the barnes and noble at southpoint mall. Works for me.
Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 05:27 PM 10-03-2010
I like the idea of getting a list together in advance. Should we start a thread where everyone can nominate books?

Do we want to aim for books that none of us have read yet? In that case, would we want to work from a list of recommended books and eliminate the ones that some of us have already read?
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 09:24 PM 10-03-2010
Another option is simply to take turns choosing books. It can be hard to reach consensus on what to read, but if we just all take turns, it's easier.
Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 10:19 PM 10-03-2010
It wouldn't be hard to get me to agree. I can't imagine being resistant to any particular book. I'd like to be exposed to something I wouldn't necessarily choose for myself.
Carhootel's Avatar Carhootel 10:49 PM 10-03-2010
I can be at either one! I'm good with us getting a list together ahead of time too. I agree that with April that we probably won't find a consensus on a book but maybe if we do vote, then we'll end up with the books that the majority of us are interested in, opposed to the possibility of just one of us being interested in a book and choosing that for everyone. KWIM? Maybe we can switch over to using FB or something since I think everyone that's interested is a playgroup regular (and FB friends with each other) right? That way we can chat back and forth more about book recommendations...
Biscuits & Gravy 08:49 AM 10-04-2010
In the book club I was in before the books were chosen by individuals, not voted on. It worked well. We read things we normally may have skipped over, and everyone got a chance to choose.

What if we each submit a title we'd like to read, put them in a hat and draw?

Most of the books my last book club did were in the genres of fiction and memoirs. That seemed to work for everyone. We could start there, and branch out if there is something that we really want to read. Thoughts?
Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 10:32 AM 10-04-2010
Charlotte, I don't know if I am FB friends yet with everyone.

Everyone add me! I am easy to find! The only Leigh Kornishev on the whole of FB.
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:36 AM 10-04-2010
Thanks to my recent facebook thread, I have lots of ideas!
maotmsmi's Avatar maotmsmi 03:29 PM 10-04-2010

Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 04:33 PM 10-04-2010
I can't think of any particular book, so I am up for anything you guys suggest.
Somemyrrh's Avatar Somemyrrh 11:31 PM 10-04-2010
Hi, y'all,
I just joined the forums, but I live in Durham and would love to join the triangle group. Is it okay to bring our infant? My daughter is still in her fourth trimester, so I'd have to bring her to a meeting.
-Summer
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:14 AM 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somemyrrh View Post
Hi, y'all,
I just joined the forums, but I live in Durham and would love to join the triangle group. Is it okay to bring our infant? My daughter is still in her fourth trimester, so I'd have to bring her to a meeting.
-Summer
I'll be bringing my 6 month old (seriously, can you guys believe she's six months old on Friday?!?!!?)! I'm thinking the general thought is that babies who you don't have to chase around the room are okay.

And, YAY for another Durhamite!
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 12:50 PM 10-05-2010
What time are we thinking of? I just realized I have a green moms' group at 11:00 am on Sunday (incidentally, you're all always invited to that!). If we do it this sunday, that is.
ncbelle's Avatar ncbelle 04:00 PM 10-05-2010
I'd be interested in playing but I don't think I can do this Sunday...but I'm not picky on what to read.
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 07:15 PM 10-05-2010

Since we have some people who are interested in the club, but can't do Sundays, could we rotate the day? Maybe a Sunday afternoon one time, then a Saturday, then a weeknight? Or would that be too much of a scheduling nightmare?

As far as time on Sunday... would 1 or 2 work ok? Anytime in the afternoon is ok with me, but not morning.

Since no one has suggested any titles, let me toss out this list as a possible starting point:
http://www.wakegov.com/libraries/rea..._club_kits.htm

These are titles for which the Wake County libraries offer a book club kit. With the kit, the library gathers enough copies of the book for your club. You get to check them out for longer than the normal checkout time (up to 7 weeks!) and you get a discussion guide with questions for your club meeting. One person picks up the kit with copies of the book for everyone and distributes the books to the club members. It's pretty convenient for book clubs.

Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 08:15 PM 10-05-2010
I've only read 6 of the ones on the fiction list. Though for some of them, I've seen the movies made from them.
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:01 PM 10-05-2010
Oh, I'd love to read Big Fish. I LOVE that movie.

I think tomorrow while I should be working I'm going to get all OCD/ADD and print out the list and highlight the ones I've read and liked, read and didn't like as much, and haven't read but want to.

Actually, why don't we all make a list of books we haven't read but would like to, and books we've read and liked enough to read again. Then we can easily compare on Sunday!
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 10:06 PM 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
Actually, why don't we all make a list of books we haven't read but would like to, and books we've read and liked enough to read again. Then we can easily compare on Sunday!
I like this idea! And for those of you who want to be part of the club, but can't make it this Sunday, please PM or email me any things you'd like to read, and I will take those suggestions to the club. Maybe on Sunday we can work on narrowing down the suggestions to maybe 8 titles or so, and then we can vote on those top choices here or by email, rather than finalizing the choices on Sunday (again, so that everyone can be a part of the process of choosing).
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:42 PM 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Dawn View Post
I like this idea! And for those of you who want to be part of the club, but can't make it this Sunday, please PM or email me any things you'd like to read, and I will take those suggestions to the club. Maybe on Sunday we can work on narrowing down the suggestions to maybe 8 titles or so, and then we can vote on those top choices here or by email, rather than finalizing the choices on Sunday (again, so that everyone can be a part of the process of choosing).
That sounds good!

Man, some of my very very favorite books are on that list. Carhootel is going to love it, too.
ncbelle's Avatar ncbelle 10:42 PM 10-05-2010
If everyone is on Facebook, it might make sense to set up a group page - that would be easier than email as far as picking a book, setting meeting times, etc.

Or maybe I'm just a Facebook junkie
rhiOrion's Avatar rhiOrion 10:48 PM 10-05-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbelle View Post
If everyone is on Facebook, it might make sense to set up a group page - that would be easier than email as far as picking a book, setting meeting times, etc.

Or maybe I'm just a Facebook junkie
That sounds good, too. But, can you set up a poll on a facebook group? That might be one advantage that MDC has.
MJoKirk's Avatar MJoKirk 11:47 PM 10-05-2010
I just needed to sub. Ill do my best to be there whenever (if its on a sunday, it shouldnt be too hard), and I can enjoy just about any book.
Lady Lilya's Avatar Lady Lilya 12:43 PM 10-06-2010
I have no objection to any of those books. I'd prefer to read something new, but I wouldn't mind rereading one I've read before, since you get more out of them when you discuss them.

I can't say whether or not I would like to read any of them, until I have read them to see. Without advance knowledge, they are all equally interesting to me. So if any of you feel strongly that you would like or dislike any of them, I'm content to let you be the choosers.

So perhaps we need to make a master list and then start eliminating ones that someone wouldn't want to read to whittle it down.
ncbelle's Avatar ncbelle 03:17 PM 10-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
That sounds good, too. But, can you set up a poll on a facebook group? That might be one advantage that MDC has.
I've seen it done but I'm not sure how - there must be some app that you can use?
Zoeanne's Avatar Zoeanne 03:26 PM 10-06-2010
I'd like to possibly join...southpoint is very near my house, and I do love to read! This Sunday, dh is working, so I won't be able to come that day.
April Dawn's Avatar April Dawn 10:34 PM 10-08-2010
OK, so no one else suggested another time or place, so... I guess this Sunday, 2 pm, Southpoint Barnes and Noble works?

For those who want to participate but can't make it this weekend, please send me suggested titles. Email, PM through mothering, or Facebook message all work.

I guess we will try to whittle down the suggestions to maybe 8 or so books on Sunday, and then I will create a new thread here with a poll so everyone can vote. See you Sunday!
1 2 

Up