Elizabeth City Area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone near Elizabeth City, NC? I tried this several months ago and got nothing, but thought I'd give it another try.
#2 of 14 Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

There are not a lot of people in the Elizabeth City area here on Mothering. I live on the Outer Banks.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#3 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hello! Well that's kinda close and more of a response than I got last time! Do you have a selective vax and AP friendly ped. at the beach? What about any alternatives to hospital births? I'd like to have a homebirth next time but from what I have read that is kinda hard to do in North Carolina b/c the midwife has to be affiliated with a dr. and hospital and there is no one like that in this area.
#4 of 14 Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM

I thought i had heard of someone down near Swan's Quarter. Evergreen, I see you are due at end of May. Jodibug?? I think we chatted, but I do not recall when your due time is?
#5 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I am not currently pregnant, but planning to TTC in the coming months. I am currently weaning off of domperidone, which I used to increase my low supply due to breast reduction, and as soon as my fertility returns we will start. It may take a while as I am still nursing. I just like to be prepared!
#6 of 14 Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodibug View Post
Hello! Well that's kinda close and more of a response than I got last time! Do you have a selective vax and AP friendly ped. at the beach? What about any alternatives to hospital births? I'd like to have a homebirth next time but from what I have read that is kinda hard to do in North Carolina b/c the midwife has to be affiliated with a dr. and hospital and there is no one like that in this area.
Most peds here are pretty AP friendly. Vax is kind of different. I vaccinate, but I do delay and have used two practices neither of which gave me a problem. There is one particular doctor I didn't like at my old practice (I actually forget their name) but it's possible to avoid her.

There are few alternatives to hospital birth unfortunately. People just don't understand how remote we are here. They think, "Ohhh, there's all sorts of midwives in the Triangle or Asheville areas!" When in actuality the ones in the Triangle are so busy that they won't drive 3 hours do attend a birth around here. And Asheville is 9 hours away! VA midwives used to come here but now that they're licensed none will risk their licenses to attend an NC birth. If you've had a home birth with a particular midwife before she may be willing to accommodate you for subsequent births but if not it is hard to find someone. I am lucky to be using a midwife I used with one of my other children. She is technically retired but due to unforeseen circumstances last time where I was unable to home birth she is going to try to attend so I can get the experience. I am doing prenatal care with an OB though to minimize the drive to appointments.

There is a birth center in Norfolk called DePaul that I have heard good things about. It might be worth checking out for you.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 PM

I am in E City. I am pregnant now and have been searching for midwives but havent found much. Im really bummed because I am scared out of my mind to have a hospital birth here.

I have went to Coastal Peds once and they made no comment about our vax status. We dont do regular dr. visits but I just set my kids up with Dr. Madren in VA Beach because I heard from someone who doesnt vax that he is the best dr. to have. Still have yet to go see him though.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#8 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo, someone else in EC! Do you already have another LO or is this your first?
#9 of 14 Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 PM

This is my third

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#10 of 14 Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Hey!  I don't check mothering forums that often, so I'm just now seeing this.  We are in Gates County -- about 45 min. from EC.  We are using a CPM in Garner for our homebirth coming up in about 4 weeks or so.  If you'd like, I can send you her cell by private message.  I don't know how far Garner is from EC, but it takes about 2 hrs. for us to get to her office. 

#11 of 14 Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

I think Garner is about 3 hours away, but I'd be interested in getting her information from you.  If she were not willing to travel that far perhaps she could put me in touch with someone else who is.  Thanks so much.

#12 of 14 Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm in Fayetteville, about 30-45 minutes away from you.  Have you checked out Monarch Midwifery?  http://www.monarchmidwifery.com/  I don't know if she'll drive all the way out to EC, but I know my midwife, who was out of Garner (and wonderful!), drove a little over an hour to get to my birth.

Monica - single mama to DS nono02.gifand DD blowkiss.gif

#13 of 14 Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk_maker View Post

I'm in Fayetteville, about 30-45 minutes away from you.  Have you checked out Monarch Midwifery?  http://www.monarchmidwifery.com/  I don't know if she'll drive all the way out to EC, but I know my midwife, who was out of Garner (and wonderful!), drove a little over an hour to get to my birth.

:(  Fayetteville is about 3.5 hours ( 206 miles) from Elizabeth City.

#14 of 14 Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Jodibug--I know it's been months since you posted this, but if you're still in Elizabeth City, you're not alone! I live here with my husband and two girls, ages 5 and 3, and know several AP, cloth diapering, crunchy granola moms here in town! We'd love to meet another mom! I'm not on here a lot, but you can e-mail me at juliemgwin@gmail.com.

--Julie 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page