Natural birthing options in Franklin, TN area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mamas!

We are considering relocating to Franklin, TN from Atlanta. I am about 18 weeks with baby #4 and wanted to find out what the birthing climate was like over there. We visited over Thanksgiving with family that lives there, however they don't have any children (yet!) so they had no clue.

I would love to know what hospitals are natural birth friendly. Also any midwives/practices and doulas that are known to be mother supportive and not pushy. My oldest and twins were born naturally, so I am know what I am capable of - LOL. Just need to make sure I surround myself with supportive care providers.

Thanks!!! love.gif

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#2 of 4 Old 12-09-2010, 08:23 AM

The Farm (Ina Mae) is about an hour south of Franklin. You can check out the Tennesse Midwive's Association too. http://www.tnmidwives.org/

I don't know too much about hospitals although Vanderbilt has midwives that can attend births in the hospital. I don't really know too much about other places. You might check out the nashville birth network on yahoo.

Welcome!
Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#3 of 4 Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 AM

The climate here is pretty good. I'm a doula and am almost a CPM. Centennial Women's Hospital is the most natural birth and doula friendly if you go the OB route (I personally rec. Dr. John Wilters; midwives taught him to catch babies). Williamson Medical Center (in Franklin) is NOT a great hospital. If you use the Vandy midwives, then Vanderbilt is ok as well.

If you're interested in a homebirth, Tender Beginnings Birth Services is in Franklin. Mary Anne, the owner, is also a doula. I'm expecting my first baby late summer and I'm using Mary Anne for my midwife. She's very experienced and is also an RN.

I hope this help you some!

#4 of 4 Old 01-22-2011, 07:08 PM

I moved here in May and gave birth in July of last year. Although I gave birth naturally, I traveled back to Indiana to deliver since I didn't have time to really get settled in here with a midwife.

Since then, though, I've talked with other mom's in the area and have heard great things about this area. Mary Anne Richardson, I heard is excellent in her practice. I've also heard of a few others including the Vanderbilt midwives. There are ALOT of midwives in the area. MANA held their annual conference here back in October (in Franklin) and I met many area midwives and doulas. I would definitely say that this is a very natural birthing friendly area! And the Farm is so close!

Pricing is reasonable here... generally around $3500 (that includes prenatal care) and many midwives take insurance. If you are moving here, it would be best to find a midwife ASAP. I called around at 32 weeks and it was too late to get in with anyone at that point. (Hence, my traveling 3 hours to give birth)

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page