Triangle Area Farmer's Markets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I overheard someone talking about farmer's markets the other day, so I was wondering if there are any farmer's markets in the Triangle area that are open in winter.... or when do the first ones start??  THANKS!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure the state farmer's market in Raleigh is open year round since it's a permanent structure. I know the Durham market is open because I was there just a couple weeks ago. I know the Carrboro market is open too, the Saturday market that is, not the Wednesday one. The Carrboro market did shift their hours though - opening at 9am and not the usual 7am. There's also a market in U.Mall in Chapel Hill so I bet they're still running through the winter too. Seems like you won't have trouble finding one open! We're so farmers market rich around here, I love it! 

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 AM

Yes the State Farmers Market is open, I was there yesterday.  lots of apples , collards, and sweet potatoes.

http://susanchegari.vibrantscents.com/

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM

I've only checked out the state farmers market in Raleigh.  

How is the parking at the other ones?  They seem to be located more in the center of things, so I was concerned about parking availability.  Do they have their own lots?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carhootel View Post

I'm pretty sure the state farmer's market in Raleigh is open year round since it's a permanent structure. I know the Durham market is open because I was there just a couple weeks ago. I know the Carrboro market is open too, the Saturday market that is, not the Wednesday one. The Carrboro market did shift their hours though - opening at 9am and not the usual 7am. There's also a market in U.Mall in Chapel Hill so I bet they're still running through the winter too. Seems like you won't have trouble finding one open! We're so farmers market rich around here, I love it! 

I knew that state farmer's market was always open, but I had no idea so many smaller ones were! We have shopped the state farmer's market back in warmer weather, but so many of those aren't really local to this area. I would like to support people closer to home, KWIM?

THANKS everyone!!!

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post

I've only checked out the state farmers market in Raleigh.  

How is the parking at the other ones?  They seem to be located more in the center of things, so I was concerned about parking availability.  Do they have their own lots?

The Durham one has good parking and is fairly close to you. Rhi and I should come meet you there some weekend!

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The Carrboro Market has been around 25+ yrs and has been instrumental in the local, organic food movement in this area from the get go. They only allow vendors from w/in 50 miles. They have a dedicated space adjacent to Carrboro town hall and do have a parking lot that gets very crowded in the summer months, but may be more open this time of year.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM

There is also the Western Wake Famers Market in Cary, near Apex.  That's actually the one I'm closest to, and tend to shop most, even though I'm in Durham.  One nice thing about it and the market in Carrboro is that you can use debit, credit, or EBT cards for most of the vendors.  They are open 9-12 in the winter. 

http://www.westernwakefarmersmarket.org/

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoeanne View Post

There is also the Western Wake Famers Market in Cary, near Apex. 

That's less than 5 miles from us and I've never been! Thanks for posting that... I'm glad they're open!

User Tag List