Chapel Hill Schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I am a CPM, and might be moving to Chapel Hill next year. Currently, my children are attending a Waldorf school, but our tuition is so much cheaper than EMerson! Does anyone know how much of a tuition discount is available? How about public schools? If you are a Waldorfish family, what public school would be the best match? Any insight is appreciated!
#2 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't know much about the tuition assistance available at Emerson Waldorf, but I do know several folks who really love it. I'm not too Waldorfy, but there are a lot of Waldorf folks in this area.

We really have a great situation as far as schools go around here. We've got probably the best public school system in the state, great private schools (Waldorf, Carolina Friends, Community Independent School, Duke School, Montessori, Durham Academy, etc, etc) and a great homeschooling community, as well as a popular charter school in North Chatham county, Woods Charter.

I don't think one of the CH-Carrboro public schools is going to be more waldorf-leaning than any other. They're pretty academically focused. There are some dual language programs (Spanish and Mandarin) in some of the elementary schools so if that's of interest you might want to check out neighborhoods districted for those schools. How old are your kids?

You do know that CPMs are not legal to attend births in NC, right? There's a strong midwifery/homebirth movement working to get CPMs legal status and a great free-standing birth center run by CNMs as well as a few other CNMs who attend homebirths and hospital births, but the CPMs in the area have to practice under the table. Someone else on here can tell you more about that, probably. I had my last baby at the birth center and was pleased with my care there, but I know of lots of mamas who have had homebirths in the area with some of the CPMs. I can't speak to it any more than that, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 4 Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm NAK with a very cranky babe right now so I can't type allI want to say but, 3 of my kiddos are in CHCCS and so far its been a great for us.  As my kids have grown I've incorporated many Waldorf-inspired ideas into our home although my older boys went to Montessori preschool. Our experience hasn't been perfect but overall we are very happy with the public schools here. 

I'd be happy to chat with you more if you'd like.  I'm a midwife, too so I'm sure we'd have a lot talk about! wink1.gif

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#4 of 4 Old 01-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birthrootmidwife View Post

Currently, my children are attending a Waldorf school, but our tuition is so much cheaper than EMerson! Does anyone know how much of a tuition discount is available? How about public schools? If you are a Waldorfish family, what public school would be the best match?

Hi! We are currently at a Waldorf home nursery and are applying for grades. EWS uses TADS for their application process and financial aid based on income etc etc, but then they have a committee to actually sit down and work it out with families. The rule of thumb is that every family is expected pay at least 1/4 of the set fee. After that, I have no idea what to tell you! We're going to be struggling ourselves, but I'll be going back to work... mostly to pay for DD's tuition!

As for public schools that are Waldorfy... my guess would be Central Park School for Children. It's not in Chapel Hill, but all of the families I've known that started out Waldorf or wanted Waldorf and couldn't afford it opt for there. It's a charter though and there's a lottery of some kind to get in. I'm not familiar with anything other than that.

Good luck! Keep us posted about your move.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page