Looking for midwife in Asheville area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI all! I have a dilemma...My husband and I are trying for our second. Our first child was born at Park Ridge Hospital we used New Dawn Midwifery. Overall it was a great experience. A beautiful water birth. A healthy baby girl. This time around we have a different insurance company(a very crappy one) There are no midwives in network..my deductible will be $5000 which I think is a complete rip off if I'm having a natural vaginal birth..So I'm considering a home birth and paying a midwife out of pocket..So the dilemma is I hemorrhaged after delivering my daughter.. I did not have to have a blood transfusion I didn't pass out or have any trouble after wards. My iron was low for awhile I took an iron suppl and at 6wks it was normal..I was given pitocin to stop the hemorrhage and responded well to it. New Dawn told me they would not consider me for a home birth in the future..So I'm asking if anyone knows of any midwives in the area that might consider me for home birth or if any of you had a home birth after hemorrhaging. thanx so much 

Mommy to Jubilee Marbelle born 3/26/12sticky.gif and Violet Chloe Age 5dust.gifMarried for Seven Years partners.gif  Work as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor bfinfant.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM

There are some homebirth midwives that deliver in Asheville area. You could check with them to see if they would be willing to work with you.

1.) Karen Benfield of Birth Tenders in Hickory

2.) Look under North Carolina and Marshall for Daycrest Midwifery

3.) You may want to check out http://www.knoxvillehomebirth.com/. I know this is in Knoxville, but this midwife may travel to Asheville.

#3 of 10 Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou so much! I just talked today to someone using daycrest it looks promising:)

Mommy to Jubilee Marbelle born 3/26/12sticky.gif and Violet Chloe Age 5dust.gifMarried for Seven Years partners.gif  Work as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor bfinfant.gif

#4 of 10 Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 AM

Brianna,

A hemorrhage during  a previous birth does not mean that it will happen again. It does warrant a watchfull eye during future  pregnancies and births and is not a reason for many homebirth practices to exclude you from being a canidate for an out of hospital birth. Also, most birth centers that I have worked in (4 so far) also would not exlcude you from an out of hospital birth.

#5 of 10 Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM

I just interviewed a lay midwife from Asheville yesterday. PM me if you would like her info.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#6 of 10 Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 PM

I know of a great midwife in that area.. Interested PM me your email and I will pass it along.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#7 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 PM

I am a homebirth CNM located near Hickory, and I serve the Asheville area. I see that someone has mentioned me to you, already. I am in contact with a backup doc in Asheville.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

#8 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 PM

wrong thread!

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM

Looking for a midwife in Ashville area that is experienced with breech and twin birth.  Please email me at mallierd@gmail.com if you know of someone.  Thank you.

#10 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
I'm sure you'll get many wonderful recommendations but just wanted to likewise mention that I am due at the end of the year and have been seeing Sara Rathbone at Maitri Midwifery whom I really like so far. I love her calm demeanour and I have since met several other women who birthed with her and had great experiences. She has a lot of experience and her fees are very reasonable. Oh and she rents out a birthing tub (will do the set up and dismantling) for much less than the other places I looked into.

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page