Anyone given birth at NHRMC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm looking for anyone that has given birth at the new women and children's center at the hospital that would be willing to answer some question I have.  I've always wanted a home birth but considering a natural hospital birth.

Thanks!

partners.gif Amanda (27) and Julie (28) Married since April 19, 2010 and TTC since August 2011.
BFP November 7, 2011!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM

I have not yet given birth at NHRMC but I am planning on doing so.  EDD is June 1st.  I went on a tour last weekend so maybe I can answer a few questions for you.  I am delivering with the midwives and have a doula.  Planning on spending the majority of my birthing time at home and then heading to the hospital (goal is to get to the hospital shortly before pushing begins).

#3 of 6 Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks so much and congratulations!  Hopefully I won't bombard you with too many questions. 

Are your midwives with ones with University Physicians? 

Your birth plan seems like the one when I have a baby.  I have always wanted a home birth but now that I've read a few horror stories I'm leaning more toward a natural hospital delivery but doing most of the laboring at home with a doula.

I'm not really sure if you'll be able to answer my questions but I'm going to throw them out there.  If you're not able to answer them now maybe you can help me out after the birth of your little one. 

~Does the baby have to be removed from the mother's room if it is against the parent's wishes? (My mom said that when my sister gave birth they did a lot of the clean up and tests in the room but did take the baby to the nursery.  However, my sister was okay with that).

~Do they mandate the eye drops for newborns? (I would rather not have them or have them done as long after the birth as they allow).

~Are the nurses insistent upon an IV, blood pressure cuffs, and other monitoring devices. (I want to be able to be up and move around and possibly use a birthing tank).

I have some questions about how much of a participant my partner can be in the delivery but I'm guessing that depends on the midwife.

I would really like to hear about your experience once you've delivered at the hospital.

Thanks again for responding and good luck!

partners.gif Amanda (27) and Julie (28) Married since April 19, 2010 and TTC since August 2011.
BFP November 7, 2011!

#4 of 6 Old 05-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Hi Amanda!  You might consider attending a La Leche League meeting sometime.  One of the leaders is actually a labor & delivery nurse, and several of the leaders are active doulas.  They'll be able to fill you in on all the details!  

#5 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Hi - hope this isn't too late - I delivered at the new and old NHRMC, most recently my babe in June.  I had my dream birth this go round - all natural vbac!  The rn's were awesome, did not once offer drugs, let me go with intermittant monitoring, have food, drink and use the tub for labor (all of which I had been warned would not happen bc I was a vbac, but they let me do it all without batting an eye....) - I held her immediately after birth, was offered the placenta, asked about hep b, eye drops, etc. all of which I had option to deny/or use.  I had a doula and my husband, they did most of the supporting/intervening, I did not even know the mw and rn's were in there for the majority of labor, honestly, until the final pushes....

So - hands down, maybe just a lucky staff day, but I thought the staff, setting, everything was great, low intervention, respectful of my body my wishes - baby never left my side the entire time I was there - bath, tests, etc. were all done in the room, the rn said it was a new policy.  So I told her it was a great one. : )

In fact, as we did our walks, I only saw one baby in the nursery the entire time, and his mom was taking a break in the kitchen - her choice.

When I had my first in the old NHRMC, things were different, they pushed the epi, and wisked her away for tests and such (although I did have a csection that birth, so perhaps different bc of that?).

Best of luck to you - I had my birth plan ready to give each new staff that came in specifying all my wishes (which I would encourage you to also have) - but didn't need -

So my review is a great one!

#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Sandy,

Thanks so much for such a detailed review of your experience!  I am very relieved to see that I should be able to have the labor/delivery that I want. 

How was your experience with the tub? I keep reading so many positive things on water births and that it really helps with pain management. 

Who was your midwife and doula?

I had hoped to get pregnant this summer but a medical issue temporarily put our plans on hold.  Now that its taken care of we're hoping to conceive by March or April.

BFP November 7, 2011!

User Tag List