Favorite NC Beach? - Mothering Forums
North and South Carolina and Tennessee > Favorite NC Beach?
sere234's Avatar sere234 02:16 PM 04-27-2011

We're planning a trip to NC mid May and are trying to figure out what beach we want to visit. Mothering seems to be my first go to in all research I do and I thought I'd try here for my vacation as well!

Any suggestions for specific beaches you love? We'd probably want to rent a condo as well...

TIA!!

Amy M's Avatar Amy M 11:26 AM 04-28-2011

Hi- My first time on these forums  :)  There are lots of beaches in NC so it depends on what you are looking for.  I live near Topsail beach and LOVE it.  It is not as built up as Wrightsville Beach but still has some fun family things.  You are also within 2 hours of Myrtle Beach and Raleigh (if you want to go to the big city).  We always take the kids to Topsail because we can find parking and walk to the water without stepping over millions of people.   Here is the website: http://www.topsailbeach.org/ 

Good luck on your trip :)

~Amy

MamaEli's Avatar MamaEli 03:31 PM 04-28-2011

We like Kure Beach. But really, we went to Myrtle in SC for the first time last summer, and it is a gorgeous place. Perfect beach, perfect water. It is very commercial, so you have to zone all that out. We also have spent time at Wrightsville Beach (OK) and rented a place at Kitty Hawk last Memorial Day. Kitty Hawk is very pebbley, so it you're looking for great swimming that's not it. However, we had fun at the Wright Brothers memorial there, stopped in Roanoake for some history, visited the aquarium, and drove up and down the two lane highway there. Overall, Kitty Hawk/Nags Head was a lot to fun, but my feet were too torn up from the rocks to say it was great on the beach--beautiful though!  If you're looking for nice sand and waves, go to North Myrtle. Kure is a nice inbetween--a little more natural, but still a decent place to swim.

WednesdayO's Avatar WednesdayO 01:05 PM 04-29-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy M View PostYou are also within 2 hours of Myrtle Beach and Raleigh (if you want to go to the big city).

Amy M, that made me giggle. I don't see Raleigh (or the Triangle area) as "big city" at all, just a busy spread-out one.

Anyway, I always enjoyed Topsail as a kid. My aunt and uncle used to have a small vacation/mobile home there. It was flooded years ago after a hurricane I think. All I remember is a lot of people fishing... it's been a while.

More recently, my in-laws used to have a timeshare in Duck, and we spent time every spring in Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Manteo, Kill Devil Hills... I really like that whole area, but I don't think it's price-friendly when you have to rent. I'm sure other people know more about that. On the beach in Duck, we spent our time playing in the sand and flying kites. We always swam in the pool. That is all I have visited of NC beaches in ages.

Amy M's Avatar Amy M 02:10 PM 04-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

;Quote:

Amy M, that made me giggle. I don't see Raleigh (or the Triangle area) as "big city" at all, just a busy spread-out one.

It takes me 10 minutes to get to the local piggly wiggly and my neighbors are cows.  To me Raleigh is the "big city:  :)    I grew up in Northern VA so  I know it's not really big but around here it's all relative.  

I know nothing about the northern NC beaches but I do believe the Pender or Brunswick county beaches are cheaper. 

WednesdayO's Avatar WednesdayO 12:15 PM 04-30-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy M View PostIt takes me 10 minutes to get to the local piggly wiggly and my neighbors are cows.  To me Raleigh is the "big city:  :)    I grew up in Northern VA so  I know it's not really big but around here it's all relative. 

I hear ya! I grew up with nothing but cows as neighbors, and Rocky Mount or Wilson were my cities from 1977 up until 2001. ROTFLMAO.gif We lived in Locust Grove, VA and DH worked at Quantico for a while... I don't miss that kind of busyness (wow, looked it up and that's a real word!) around Fredericksburg at all. Living and VA Beach and driving through the bridge-tunnels to Newport News was worse though.

Anyway.... I digress from the topic of this post! I apologize, sere234. Good luck finding the info you're looking for!

creillysheehan's Avatar creillysheehan 07:49 PM 05-01-2011

We love the Outer Banks.  In May, though, you'll want to stay in the southern part of OBX if you want warm(ish) ocean water!  We often go south almost to Hatteras in early June--the water is really nice then.  Also, much of the Outer Banks is a national seashore, so there are stretches of totally undeveloped shore.  So, if you like nature, minimal commercialization, and not too crowded beaches, then Hatteras or the area around Buxton/Avon/Frisco is perfect.  Also, May is before the high season, so rentals are likely still available and are discounted.  Have a wonderful time!

hippiemommaof4's Avatar hippiemommaof4 12:37 AM 06-01-2011

hey to those of you near wilmington, we're relocating there in a few months! any recs on  peds there...my kids need a non vax pushing wholistic type of ped

beckybird's Avatar beckybird 02:30 PM 06-07-2011

Love love love Topsail Beach and the Outer Banks (Nags Head). They are the only 2 beaches in NC I've been to, but they are my favorites! My mother was even married at Topsail Beach, and we just stayed at the Jolly Roger's Hotel this past May. It's a great, laid-back, non-crowded beach.

We've been going to the Outer Banks off and on since, oh, 1998? I love it there too. If you just want to go see the ocean, and not be over crowded with people stumbling all over each other (like Virginia Beach lol) then Topsail or Nags Head are great.

cinderella08's Avatar cinderella08 08:03 PM 06-07-2011

We are partial to Kure Beach!

sarahmsquared's Avatar sarahmsquared 09:13 PM 06-08-2011

We absolutely love Ocracoke Island, especially for camping (in a camper -- the mosquitoes are fierce)!  However, if you go up an island to Hatteras you can find property that right on the beach to rent and that seems to work out better for families.  Both islands are laid back and not overrun with traditional tourist town attractions.  Just simple, awesome family vacation time. 

Have fun!

Up