Moving to Asheville Area - Search for Land - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-01-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there! My family and I will be moving to Asheville from Oregon sometime next spring or summer. We are currently on the search for some land. We are looking for about an acre or two which we could do some full time yurt living on. I am wondering if anyone could suggest some areas that would be nice to live within a 20 minute drive of Asheville. I would love an area that has its own community while still being far enough from Asheville to make land a bit more affordable. Thanks in advance! So looking forward to joining your community!

Postpartum Doula mama to one beautiful boy, born 10/12/2009. Check out my blog at www.TheBreastfeedingBlog.com
#2 of 9 Old 05-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Hi! You might want to check out around Black Mountain-it's a small cute little town with some nice mountain views-less than 20 min from Asheville-- around Brevard is also nice--Welcome to Asheville!!! I hope you love it here as much as my family does! Where do you live in Oregon? My husband lived in Eugene for seven years.

Mommy to Jubilee Marbelle born 3/26/12sticky.gif and Violet Chloe Age 5dust.gifMarried for Seven Years partners.gif  Work as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor bfinfant.gif

#3 of 9 Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 PM

You may want to check out land around Candler and Swannanoa. Land will probably be a little cheaper there, too. There is a community of natural living folks somewhere south of Black Mtn. I cannot remember the name of the community or if it still there. This was about 16 yrs. ago that I did a birth there in that community.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

#4 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthTender View Post

There is a community of natural living folks somewhere south of Black Mtn. I cannot remember the name of the community or if it still there. This was about 16 yrs. ago that I did a birth there in that community.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

Karen, are you thinking of Earthaven?

Earthaven Ecovillage, an intentional communty, and educational programs on building a sustainable future.

Michelle --- AMAzing Mama to DD1 (04.07) & DD2 (05.10)    
#5 of 9 Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Michelle,

That does sound familiar.

Thanks

#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate all of the suggestions! Sorry I have my MDC account hooked up to an email that I rarely check so I didn't realise anyone had responded. We do have a few properties in Black mountain that we are watching.....there are also a few in Canton that look promising...how is it there?

Brianna - I live just SW of Portland in the Willamette Valley. I love it here but we are ready for a change...can't wait to become part of the community in Asheville!  Is the birth community pretty developed out there? I am a postpartum doula and am in the process of becoming an IBCLC. I would love to begin connecting with others in the area!

Postpartum Doula mama to one beautiful boy, born 10/12/2009. Check out my blog at www.TheBreastfeedingBlog.com
#7 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Some folks really dig Canton bc of cheap housing and land but I would prob not want to live there-There is a big paper mill in the heart of town-and it really stinks! The town itself is a nice working class town but not too much in the way of good places to eat -or cute shops,etc I think Blk Mtn area is a better bet for a cool vibe. Asheville has a good Birth network-There are several homebirth midwives and hospital birth midwives--Lots of Doulas around town! Mission Hospital the major hospital in town just earned their baby friendly status last year--I work as a breastfeeeding counselor for the WIC program-Buncombe county has one of the highest Breastfeeding rates in the state-nowhere near Oregan's bfding rates but hey we are working on it:)

Mommy to Jubilee Marbelle born 3/26/12sticky.gif and Violet Chloe Age 5dust.gifMarried for Seven Years partners.gif  Work as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor bfinfant.gif

#8 of 9 Old 06-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Brevard is more than a 20 minute drive, closer to 45 min.

Towns you should look at: Fairview, Candler, Swannanoa/Black Mountain, Marshall and Leicester

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Hi! We just relocated to Asheville from Bend last September...there seem to be quite a few of us here.   :)

We're on the lookout for land as well, so I'd love to learn of anything you've unearthed in your research. We're currently visiting some intentional communities with hopes to eventually start our own "tribe" after finding a small piece of land and a few like-minded families. We currently live in the North Asheville/Woodfin/Weaverville area and really enjoy it. We are considering looking at thes surrounding areas of Marshall, Hot Springs, Barnardsville, Mars Hill, etc.

Feel free to email me off-list if you have any questions about the area.

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Doula Services
Birth, Postpartum, Hypno
Doula & Midwifery Assistant

703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page