Moving to Asheville Area - Search for Land - Mothering Forums
North and South Carolina and Tennessee > Moving to Asheville Area - Search for Land
oregonianmama's Avatar oregonianmama 09:35 AM 05-01-2011

Hi there! My family and I will be moving to Asheville from Oregon sometime next spring or summer. We are currently on the search for some land. We are looking for about an acre or two which we could do some full time yurt living on. I am wondering if anyone could suggest some areas that would be nice to live within a 20 minute drive of Asheville. I would love an area that has its own community while still being far enough from Asheville to make land a bit more affordable. Thanks in advance! So looking forward to joining your community!

BriannaLeigh's Avatar BriannaLeigh 02:29 PM 05-29-2011

Hi! You might want to check out around Black Mountain-it's a small cute little town with some nice mountain views-less than 20 min from Asheville-- around Brevard is also nice--Welcome to Asheville!!! I hope you love it here as much as my family does! Where do you live in Oregon? My husband lived in Eugene for seven years.

BirthTender's Avatar BirthTender 02:39 PM 05-29-2011

You may want to check out land around Candler and Swannanoa. Land will probably be a little cheaper there, too. There is a community of natural living folks somewhere south of Black Mtn. I cannot remember the name of the community or if it still there. This was about 16 yrs. ago that I did a birth there in that community.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

copperfox's Avatar copperfox 02:18 PM 05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthTender View Post

There is a community of natural living folks somewhere south of Black Mtn. I cannot remember the name of the community or if it still there. This was about 16 yrs. ago that I did a birth there in that community.

Karen Benfield, CNM and owner of BirthTender

Karen, are you thinking of Earthaven?

Earthaven Ecovillage, an intentional communty, and educational programs on building a sustainable future.

BirthTender's Avatar BirthTender 06:56 PM 05-30-2011

Michelle,

That does sound familiar.

Thanks

oregonianmama's Avatar oregonianmama 12:39 PM 06-06-2011

I appreciate all of the suggestions! Sorry I have my MDC account hooked up to an email that I rarely check so I didn't realise anyone had responded. We do have a few properties in Black mountain that we are watching.....there are also a few in Canton that look promising...how is it there?

Brianna - I live just SW of Portland in the Willamette Valley. I love it here but we are ready for a change...can't wait to become part of the community in Asheville!  Is the birth community pretty developed out there? I am a postpartum doula and am in the process of becoming an IBCLC. I would love to begin connecting with others in the area!

BriannaLeigh's Avatar BriannaLeigh 03:19 PM 06-07-2011

Some folks really dig Canton bc of cheap housing and land but I would prob not want to live there-There is a big paper mill in the heart of town-and it really stinks! The town itself is a nice working class town but not too much in the way of good places to eat -or cute shops,etc I think Blk Mtn area is a better bet for a cool vibe. Asheville has a good Birth network-There are several homebirth midwives and hospital birth midwives--Lots of Doulas around town! Mission Hospital the major hospital in town just earned their baby friendly status last year--I work as a breastfeeeding counselor for the WIC program-Buncombe county has one of the highest Breastfeeding rates in the state-nowhere near Oregan's bfding rates but hey we are working on it:)

root*children's Avatar root*children 04:35 PM 06-23-2011

Brevard is more than a 20 minute drive, closer to 45 min.

Towns you should look at: Fairview, Candler, Swannanoa/Black Mountain, Marshall and Leicester

NW2SE's Avatar NW2SE 12:24 PM 07-07-2011

Hi! We just relocated to Asheville from Bend last September...there seem to be quite a few of us here.   :)

We're on the lookout for land as well, so I'd love to learn of anything you've unearthed in your research. We're currently visiting some intentional communities with hopes to eventually start our own "tribe" after finding a small piece of land and a few like-minded families. We currently live in the North Asheville/Woodfin/Weaverville area and really enjoy it. We are considering looking at thes surrounding areas of Marshall, Hot Springs, Barnardsville, Mars Hill, etc.

Feel free to email me off-list if you have any questions about the area.

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Doula Services
Birth, Postpartum, Hypno
Doula & Midwifery Assistant

703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

Up