K12 and other Virtual Charter Schools - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone attending them and can offer the advice/opinions. I just enrolled my 2 little ones (3rd and 1st graders)

Thanks

Michelle

#2 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

crashing here...but, I did HS an aspie boy who used the K12 model...They are very good at helping kids work with their specific strengths and weaknesses. I actually loved the program. We had bi monthly meetings with his "teacher" and those were great. She was wonderful and helpful. I spoke to her many times on the phone. 

This boy was in the 8th grade though so it was a little different but I just wanted to say I really liked the K12 style overall.

#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM

I am considering using the K12 school here is SC for my DD next year.  She will be in kindergarten.  She has multiple food allergies, making a traditional school a hard choice.  My son goes to a charter school in the Charleston area for middle school.  Several of his classmates used the K12 program for elementary school and do quite well at school.

#4 of 6 Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 AM

We are also considering the K12 model for our children who will be 4th and 6th grade this coming school year. We are in SC and I am not happy with the schools here at all. Can you share more info about the K12 program?

Juliet married to Justin, Mom to Savannah 19, Kyla forever 4, Braelyn 11, Jack 8, and 3 wonderful pups!
#5 of 6 Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietd View Post

We are also considering the K12 model for our children who will be 4th and 6th grade this coming school year. We are in SC and I am not happy with the schools here at all. Can you share more info about the K12 program?

have you checked out their website? They give a pretty good idea of what it is like there...

Basically you get all your textbooks/supplies (which in our case included things like a microscope, art supples etc as well as a list of things to buy) and they are complimented by what you do online. You get your daily classes you can take and here is what I LOVE about k12...

If you want to spend an entire day doing just science lessons, that is perfectly fine you just go ahead and do them. The schedule for the year (which you can alter as much as you want for vacations etc) updates constantly and shows your progress in multiple ways. So you do your day of science lessons and then you can do another day of all math or half a day of lit and art or just do all the subjects in a day. It gives you so much flexibility if your kid gets really into one particular lesson and wants to carry it on...This worked really well for me and the aspie boy I was working with because he WOULD get fascinated with one topic and then want to spend half a day on it...

Honestly, and no I do not work for K12, I think it is a really great program and really caters to SN kids as well. It just gives you so much flexibility and there is so much less pressure to just "get it done" and move on to the next topic. The only issue we really ran into was they wanted to keep you on somewhat of a schedule as far as the school "year" goes. However they were VERY accomodating of the little boys SNs and didn't mind that it took us longer to get the school year done than they might have preferred.

#6 of 6 Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 AM

JuiletD, Go to the SCVCS website and look for events.  They are having year-end events around the state next week and are welcoming those of us interested in learning more about the school.  I went to an event in April and met a mom who was able to share with me what my DD's kindergarten experience would be like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page