OB/GYN suggestions in Charlotte? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hoping some Charlotte mamas may be able to recommend a great OB/GYN in the area.  I'll be moving to the Plaza Midwood area in a few weeks, don't really know anyone there, and I'm a little nervous about finding a good doctor.  I tend to be a bit anxious with any doctor, but I just had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy a few weeks ago and that isn't making things any easier!  Any help you can offer is much appreciated.   

#2 of 17 Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm in the same boat as you..just moved down here in March and now I'm pregnant..and searching for an OB. I hear Presbyterian Hospital in Matthews is very good.

Kaitlyn - 21, single mother to an adorable baby girl born 1/18/2012 (:

#3 of 17 Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Have either of you considered a homebirth with a midwife?  Or perhaps birthing at the birth center in Ft Mill, SC (very close to charlotte)!  If you'd like more information I'd be happy to share more info!!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#4 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response- been traveling and finally just moved this week.  Thanks, Kaitlyn, for the word on Presbyterian.  Cinderella, would definitely like to look into a birthing center, but I've been told by several OBs that I should have a c-section since a myomectomy in 2008 to remove a large fibroid required a large incision in my uterus.  I have done some reading on VBAC, but have also found that myomectomies are different procedures.  Any thoughts on how to get the support that I have seen many friends get from birthing centers if my birth plan involves a c-section?  

#5 of 17 Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM

Oh, I see!!  That is different then of course!

I'd love to talk to you more.  I messaged you!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#6 of 17 Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM

I delivered at University and had a great experience with both DS 2 and 3.  I go to the Greater Carolinas Women's Center.  Dr. Mammano is who I normally see.

#7 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 AM

Hi everyone!  I just found out yesterday that I can't use the birth center because of insurance.  I want to go natural, no epidural, delayed cord clamping, etc.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I'm going to fight the insurance company, but that could take months and I need to get started with prenatal care. 

Cinderella I thought attended homebirth was illegal in NC?

Feel free to PM me with any recomendations.  I'm terrifed to birth in a hospital and this has really thrown me for a loop.  irked.gif

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**3rdtri.gif36***40**

#8 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokievol View Post

Hi everyone!  I just found out yesterday that I can't use the birth center because of insurance.  I want to go natural, no epidural, delayed cord clamping, etc.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I'm going to fight the insurance company, but that could take months and I need to get started with prenatal care. 

Cinderella I thought attended homebirth was illegal in NC?

Feel free to PM me with any recomendations.  I'm terrifed to birth in a hospital and this has really thrown me for a loop.  irked.gif

Homebirth with a CNM in North Carolina is 100% legal.  Homebirth with a CPM/DEM in NC is not regulated (not legal).  That being said, tons and tons of women in NC use DEM/CPMs and birth at home.  Some use CNMs.

Great links for NC homebirth options

http://www.ncfom.org/

http://www.ncmidwives.org/

I myself am planning an HBAC with a midwife in NC for our next baby

Also - do you have insurance?  CPM/DEM's can't take insurance in NC, but CNM's can - including medicaid!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#9 of 17 Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 AM

That's excellent information!  Can you point me in the direction of CNMs and/or CPMs who do homebirths in Charlotte? 

I do have insurance, and they will pay for CNMs.  They won't pay for free-standing birth centers or CPMs, which is why I can't go to the birth center like I wanted. 

A therapist (34) married an engineer (37) 10/10.  Expecting our first around the first of March 2012.   Mother to a 7yo dog2.gif, stepmomma to a 10yo awesome and hilarious girl.

#10 of 17 Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:

That's excellent information!  Can you point me in the direction of CNMs and/or CPMs who do homebirths in Charlotte? 

I do have insurance, and they will pay for CNMs.  They won't pay for free-standing birth centers or CPMs, which is why I can't go to the birth center like I wanted. 

Absolutely!  We are planning on using a CNM since our insurance will pay for it - it's an 'out of network provider' in our case, but insurance still pays 60% which is great!

Karen of BirthTender is located in Hickory and serves a 2hr radius from her home.  She happily delivers moms in Charlotte!  I live in SC, so I'll be crossing state line and actually birthing in a hotel in Charlotte probably!  

She's actually on MDC - http://www.mothering.com/community/user/birthtender

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#11 of 17 Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks so much!  I'll add her to my options list.  CCMC referred me to an OB and midwife pair in Mooresville who are opening a birth center in August/September.  I met with them today and really liked them.  Everyone was very encouraging of my natural birth plans, their c-section rate is nice and low, and at least one of their nurses is also a doula.  Big sigh of relief here, AND now an option for a homebirth.  I feel so much better.  happytears.gif

#12 of 17 Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 PM

To Hokievol,

Homebirthing for you the expectant woman/couple in NC  is legal. The legality issue, that is most likely confusing you about homebirthing in NC, is that the only legal attendants are doctors who practice OB & certified Nurse-Midwives. of which there are now 10 in NC.

Nurse-midwives are also covered by insurance and Medicaid,. if they've applied to be a provider. As far as I'm aware all but, maybe 4 of the current 10 nurse-midwives in NC, were doing homebirths previously as direct entry midwives, such as myself in other states, and/or did some of their clincal training with a homebirth CNM.

I am near Hickory & I cover the Charlotte area. I was also direct entry, in alegal or legal states, e.g. Massachusetts, Rhode Island,  and a nurse for many years, since 1985.

PM me if you wish.

Karen Benfield, CNM

Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, a soon coming, homebirth, well woman, GYN, family planning nurse-midwifery practice covering western/central NC

#13 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks so much!  I'll add her to my options list.  CCMC referred me to an OB and midwife pair in Mooresville who are opening a birth center in August/September.  I met with them today and really liked them.  Everyone was very encouraging of my natural birth plans, their c-section rate is nice and low, and at least one of their nurses is also a doula.  Big sigh of relief here, AND now an option for a homebirth.  I feel so much better.  happytears.gif

I think you are talking about Dr Roque and her CNM Marcia -- they are excellent and amazing and totally worth the trip to Mooresville if homebirth and the birth center aren't an option.  I would like to add (for others that are interested) that the birth center in Fort Mill has a really good success rate at getting insurances to pay out-of-network exceptions and are now getting in-network with many providers as well

Lora, Mommy to L & C and birth photographer extraodinaire ROTFLMAO.gif www.loradentonphotography.com

#14 of 17 Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Dr.Roque and her nurse-midwives are super. Dr. Roque has been a doctor back up for my doula clients and childbirth ed. students  for a long time. I think there are 2 CNMs working with her practice, now?

I hope to see them or Marcia at some upcoming state ACNM meetings.

Karen Benfield, CNM & owner of BirthTender, a soon coming, homebirth, well woman, family planning nurse-midwifery practice, Primary office near Hickory, covering western/central NC

#15 of 17 Old 08-13-2011, 04:48 PM

I got to tour Dr. Roque's birth center in Statesville on Friday and it is lovely.  They are currently in their temporary location and will be moving to a bigger space in the same complex around January.  Their section rate is nice and low, about 8% for Marcia and less than 20% for Dr. Roque (she gets the high risk patients in the practice and still stays much lower than the state average).  Their office is a bit chaotic right now, but I'm hopeful that those kinks will get worked out as they get more settled with the birth center.  

#16 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

lurk.gif Planning on moving to Charlotte in April '12, will be 19 weeks with my 1st.  Just want to tag this thread.  I haven't started making plans yet, but looks like there is some good info for when I start. 

twins.gif M & B loving life together with Q baby.gif born 8/25/12
#17 of 17 Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi Veritas Vitae,

Early welcome to the area, and safe and restful moving, as if moving can be restful. Srpingtime in the south is one of the most lovely times & places in my opinion.

Karen Benfield, CNM & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, well-woman, gyn, menopausal, primary medicine & Homebirthing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page