Moving to Spartanburg/Greenville area... need a pediatrician!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! In 2 weeks I'll be moving to Spartanburg, SC and need advice for a good pediatrician. I'm looking for suggestions on someone who is preferably female, supports extended breast feeding and is ok with delaying and selective vaccinations. Those are basically my only requirements. My DD is almost 6 months and hasn't been seen by a pediatrician since the 2 month check-up because the doctors in our local area wouldn't take us again since I'm delaying vaccinations.

I really want to find someone quickly and I hope that there is someone like this in the area. Thanks for any suggestions!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#2 of 15 Old 06-06-2011, 09:57 AM

The only peds that are ok with delaying vax are Dr. Shannon Webb in Roebuck (I know him personally, our dd's go to school together) and Dr. Keith Stafford in Greer who is my family dr. I prefer Dr. Stafford as his attitude regarding vax, feeding, etc. is "it's your kid, you do what you want." He's awesome.

#3 of 15 Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Oh, and welcome to the area! Where in Spartanburg are you moving to? I also live in Spartanburg. I've got the scoop on LLL in town if you are interested.

#4 of 15 Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome Earthy Mama! So much to do and so little time but we are moving near-ish Duncan park and Croft state park, I'm not sure what other landmarks are very nearby... I'm so nervous to find a good doctor for DD and myself because the people here were not very receptive to me having a homebirth and the things I believe in such as extended nursing and delaying vax. I'm glad there are a couple to choose from out there.

Also, I would love to hear more about the LLL in town. Do they meet often? The group here meets 2x a month and was a small group of about 4-7 people who would show up. I'm hoping Spartanburg/Greenville area has a bigger AP group in general than Springfield does!

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#5 of 15 Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM

I know exactly where that is. LLL meets once a month and we typically have 10-15 moms-sometimes less, sometimes more. It meets at the local birth center.http://www.scmidwife.com/

Greenville has a larger AP group than Spartanburg, but we are here. I go to Greenville for a babywearing group-would LOVE to get one started in Spartanburg (are you listening, Helga Toes?) but I don't know if there is enough interest.

Anything you need to know about Spartanburg, I'm your gal. I've lived here since 87, work at the Cultural Center, and know tons of people here. 

Oh, I have a 6month old too, so we'll have to get them together and let them "play"!

#6 of 15 Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great number of moms at the LLL meeting. I'm excited to visit and I'm so glad there's a birth center out there. The nearest one here was like 2 hours away. I would be very interested in a babywearing group because I still feel like I'm doing something wrong with my wrap!! The only carrier my DD likes is the mei tai but I would love to find other ways of carrying her! I have a ring sling and a regular long piece of fabric which I used when she was newborn (but can't get her comfy in it now). Not a big selection but I'm working on it.

Thanks so much for all your help! It would be so fun to get our little ones together for some play time. DD has had hardly any experience with other children and I know she'd love it! Even if she just sat and stared, haha! When we get out there and settled I'll definitely message to get more info about Spartanburg and the area!

#7 of 15 Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 AM

thumb.gif

#8 of 15 Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Hey if a babywearing group starts, let me know!  Just moved here and it dawned on me today how I've not seen anyone wearing a baby here (maybe it is just too hot right now!).  If I am the only one, so what? smile.gif  But kinda cool to know there are "others!"

#9 of 15 Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzurocks View Post

Hey if a babywearing group starts, let me know!  Just moved here and it dawned on me today how I've not seen anyone wearing a baby here (maybe it is just too hot right now!).  If I am the only one, so what? smile.gif  But kinda cool to know there are "others!"

In Spartanburg? We actually just had our first meeting. I'll PM you the info.

#10 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 11:00 AM

I know this post is a little old - but i'm in Duncan/Spartanburg for 3-6months months with my daughter (almost 5) and son (almost a year) and would love to get together with some local mothering mothers/kids for some playdates!  Maybe the new Tyger River park?? And I'd love to know about local mother's groups that get together. THanks! :) 

#11 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

GreenRose, not many playdates this time of year (at least not that I know of, haha) but you should come to babywearing or le leche league where there will be lots of moms with their kids! They both will be happening in the next couple of weeks!

#12 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM

I will try! And if anyone wants to come to the park, it's quite nice on the sunny and not-rainy days smile.gif then again, I'm used to 10-20degree cooler weather this time of year wink1.gif
#13 of 15 Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Great! They both are held at Labors of Love and you can probably find them on facebook as they have their own pages. Hope to see you there.

#14 of 15 Old 01-23-2013, 06:59 PM

Are the only pediatrician suggestions still Dr. Stafford and Dr. Webb?  I was recently told some of the bigger practices have become delayed/selective vax friendly.  I am looking for a ped in the Greenville area for my first child (due 5/31/13).  I want to find a ped who is very breastfeeding friendly, intact friendly (we aren't finding out gender, but regardless this is important to me), and delayed/selective vax friendly.  Suggestions more in the Greenville area would be appreciated!  I have seen several rec's for Dr. Stafford but feel a little gun-shy about him as I am currently recovering from a horrifying experience with a midwife who I know works with him.  

#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about Dr. Stafford, he is great. He listens to you and makes decisions with you, not for you. His practice is very accomodating. My toddler has a kidney disorder(usually outgrown with age) and they were very accomodating when I didn't want her cathed for a urinalysis. Not judgemental whatsoever about my decisions I have made.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page