Anyone know where to find rural houses in eastern TN? Also.... racism? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're looking to relocate to the Smoky mountain area, either very small-town or straight-up rural. We are looking to spend between 100-120 K and have at least one acre but preferably more. We're not very picky about the house, but DH says it has to be brick or stone, or he's not buying it, and we have a Civic as our car so the access roads have to be decent enough. Other than that, we're wide open to location. But, we don't know the area too well (we've driven through it but don't know any specific towns we're looking at). How does one find a rural real estate agent? Does anyone know anyone? We don't know any locals.

Also... my husband is worried about racial discrimination. We are pretty nationality-neutral (I'm from Europe but moved here when I was young, DH is Hispanic but you wouldn't guess unless you knew our last name). We're also from the North, more or less. He's still afraid that if we move to a rural area in the South, people would pick up on our Hispanic last name and that could cause problems. Is he right?

coolshine.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Look into Blaine, TN!  It's right outside of Knoxville.  Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions because we now live in Charlotte, NC but all of my extended family is from there.  We visit several times a year and we love it. 

Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM

There is a very large hispanic comminity in TN. So I dont think that will be any problem at all. We live in Morgan Co about 40 m west of Knox. Its small, but has cheaper land and homes. My husband and I lived here during highschool and moved after gradutating. We just came back and love it. We arent the "norm" either, tattoos, piercings, dreads. But people have been so nice. There can be some ingorance about certain things, but usuallyt hey keep that to htemselves:)

User Tag List