Memphis Area Mamas? - Mothering Forums
North and South Carolina and Tennessee > Memphis Area Mamas?
poetgoddess813's Avatar poetgoddess813 01:05 PM 06-15-2011

Hi guys!

I am a native Memphian (well, Tipton Countian) who just moved back down south after being in NYC and Scotland for the last several years. I am finding it really difficult to settle in a place that is so different from the sort of progressive, liberal, crunchier places I've been, and it can be kind of lonely at times. I have literally one friend with similar beliefs and philosophies, heh.

My husband and I have one homebirthed son and we recently decided to begin our TTC journey for number two. I was in the UK for the pregnancy and birth of my son, so attempting to navigate insurances, etc. here in the US is kind of overwhelming! I know there are at least two midwifery groups in Memphis, and I'll be contacting them as soon as we managed to get pregnant, but if anyone knows of any natural birth support in this area, I'd love recommendations!

I'm hoping to connect with other parents nearby who parent/live the same kind of way we do -- even if I can just be part of an online group, I will feel so much better knowing I'm not the only sane person in a 60 mile radius! wink1.gif

OTMomma's Avatar OTMomma 01:45 PM 06-17-2011

There are lots of sane people in the area!  :)  I've had 2 homebirths here with Trillium Woman Care, and they were great births!  If you are willing to make the drive- we've been attending the Neshoba Unitarian Universalist church in Cordova for the last few years.  We weren't UU before moving here, but found the other churches we tried to be too conservative- so we went with the group that was VERY liberal, and have loved it.  Summer is a weird time there though, the minister gets to take vacation, so service is often lead by members, which is cool- but different than when a regular minister is there. 

I will pm you with some more info about finding local mamas.  Interestingly there is a crunchy group of liberal people here, and once you know a few, you find the circle is more connected that one would imagine.

We are leaving this area very soon (moving to DC) or I'd suggest we do a play date.

Peace,

OdinsMommy0409's Avatar OdinsMommy0409 04:20 PM 06-17-2011

Welcome back to Memphis! I see you already found Alternamamas. You'll probably start meeting more like-minded parents in person now that you've come upon that group. Also, when it comes time to meet with a midwife, Trillium's contact info has changed and isn't updated on their website (unfortunately). However, many of the the Alternamamas have their info. Looking forward to getting to know you more via Alternamamas. 

poetgoddess813's Avatar poetgoddess813 06:27 PM 06-17-2011

Trillium was actually the first group I contacted! I hadn't heard anything back from them, but I see from the post below yours that they've changed their contact information, so maybe I'll be able to get in touch with them soon!

Thanks for the info on the UU church and also for the link to the FB group -- I am thrilled beyond words to have found a like-minded group of women! Sorry to hear you're leaving, though. :(

poetgoddess813's Avatar poetgoddess813 06:28 PM 06-17-2011

It would be so awesome to meet up with people in person! As I said, I have one friend here who "gets" me -- most of the rest just tolerate my crazy ways. ;-)

daileyjoy's Avatar daileyjoy 09:02 PM 06-30-2011

Hi, I am so excited to see this orngtongue.gif  I am a native Memphian as well and am returning after 3 years in Romania and 2 in a super crunchy area of SC. I am really upset about this move, I do not remember Memphis being very natural minded. I am defiantly looking to meet new people. I am 32 years old and have been with my husband since I was 13 and we have 3 children. Hannah is in 10th grade and I have been homeschooling her since pre-k ( except for our years in Romania ) and Abby is 10 and in the 5th grade. We also have Liam who is 2 and still co-sleeping and breastfeeding. I am a student midwife and CPST ( carseat tech ), I did have plans to enroll at a technical college in the fall here in SC but I am not sure about that now. My husband will be leaving soon and the children and I will follow in 40-60 days, so sometime in August. I am not on here very much, I am on cafemom and facebook more but my email is [email protected]

poetgoddess813's Avatar poetgoddess813 10:00 PM 06-30-2011

Oh, yay! I am going to email you right now!

Up