Looking for a Knoxville pediatrician - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can any one recommend a pediatrician in Knoxville?  We are in West Knoxville, but open to any one in the area.  We do vaccinate on schedule but I want someone who isn't going to try to talk to me about sleep training, bed sharing, extended breast feeding, etc.  Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 AM

I haven't had much luck finding a "crunchy" pediatrician in Knoxville. My co-parent and I are divorced, and we ended up going with a family practice at which his sister (the kids' aunt) works. In general they are pretty mainstream, but because we educate ourselves and come armed and ready to advocate for alternatives, it has worked for us. It's called UT Family Physicians. The doctors and staff are very friendly and nice, and some of the docs are more open to family bed type of things. There are signs for breastfeeding in every room. But it's definitely mainstream (see my post about issues with my intact son, where I was called a "minimalist" for not wanting to surgically widen his foreskin, ha ha ha).

If you're on facebook, you can look up a great local midwife, Lisa Coomer, who might have good recommendations for docs.

Good luck!

Agrippina

Agrippina

Craving simplicity! (Also, craving samosas.)

Mom to two whimsical vegetarian kiddie ninjas, 9yo DSfencing.gifand 6yo DD dust.gif

ribbonjigsaw.gifkid.gifgoorganic.jpgwool.gif

"Our real choice is between holy and unholy madness: open your eyes and look around you -- madness is in the saddle anyhow."  ---Norman Brown, philosopher

#3 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM

We  use Trinity Medical Associates, in W. Knoxville (at Ft. Sanders West).  Our kids see Dr. McColl who is a family doc and also board certified in pediatrics.  He is definitely a "vax on schedule" advocate, but he hasn't given us any grief about the delayed schedule I want to use.  I don't recall him ever advising me about sleep training, extending breast feeding, etc. (unless I asked a specific question about the topic).  we've been with the practice for about 3.5 years and I'm very happy with them.

#4 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information!

#5 of 9 Old 08-03-2011, 10:07 AM

I am in West Knoxville too. :)

We see Dr. Green at Trinity Medical at Ft. Sanders West. He has always been very respectful of our parenting decisions and he knows proper intact penis care (leave it alone!). I rarely discuss stuff like co-sleeping and other "crunchy" things with him, just because I don't really feel a need to do so. But the important thing is that he is good with the kids and has never ever made me feel uncomfortable.

Dr. McColl was not happy at all with our decision to not vaccinate and we ended up in a heated argument. Good to see that he tolerates delayed vax. :)

If you are ever in a situation where you need specific breastfeeding help, you would be much better off making an appointment to see one of the lactation consultants at Lisa Ross. They have a breastfeeding center there. 

I 2nd the recommendation for Lisa Coomer as a great local midwife. Love her.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#6 of 9 Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post

Dr. McColl was not happy at all with our decision to not vaccinate and we ended up in a heated argument. Good to see that he tolerates delayed vax. :)

Well, he isn't real thrilled about it.  And we have had a few intense discussions.  LOL.  I mostly avoid the topic now by simply delaying visits until I'm ready to give my child the vaccine.  Overall, I do like Dr. McColl.  I think that he listens to my concerns and doesn't talk down to me (which was a problem with our previous doctor).  So I can live with his vaccine stance.  I do understand where his viewpoint is coming from. 

I second the suggestion for the Breastfeeding Center at LRBC.  I had baby #3 at the birth center and then had some breastfeeding issues during the first month.  The LCs are awesome.

#7 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Pediatric Consultants at UT. Dr McKeethren or Jaime (NP). Both were extended BFers, are open to no vaxing or delayed/selective vaxing, neither has much interest in giving you parenting advice, just good medical care.

#8 of 9 Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm interested in this thread. We go to Knoxville Pediactric Consultants West.  The main Dr. there is Dr. Rhea.  I've been mostly pleased since they suggest the delayed vax schedule but are ok w/ us having our son totally unvax as of now.  My problem though is that in the evenings you can only speak with a nurse on call.  You cannot speak with a Dr. so you cannot have anything done with Rx issues or anything until the next day.  My son was recently sick with his first sickness and I asked at our last appt about needing help in the evening and they said it's basically an answering service and they'll help you decide if you need to go to the ER or not.  I'm not a fan of that at all.  Is this the norm?  What do your offices do in the evening hours to help?  Is there a Dr. on call? 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a family practice Dr in our Knoxville area they can suggest?  

#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLane View Post

I'm interested in this thread. We go to Knoxville Pediactric Consultants West.  The main Dr. there is Dr. Rhea.  I've been mostly pleased since they suggest the delayed vax schedule but are ok w/ us having our son totally unvax as of now.  My problem though is that in the evenings you can only speak with a nurse on call.  You cannot speak with a Dr. so you cannot have anything done with Rx issues or anything until the next day.  My son was recently sick with his first sickness and I asked at our last appt about needing help in the evening and they said it's basically an answering service and they'll help you decide if you need to go to the ER or not.  I'm not a fan of that at all.  Is this the norm?  What do your offices do in the evening hours to help?  Is there a Dr. on call? 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a family practice Dr in our Knoxville area they can suggest?  

I've talked to a doctor on call before or had the nurse talk to the doctor/NP and then tell me what the doctor/NP recommended. I've been told that these offices are not related, although they used to be, so their call is different. IDK. I do know that the nurses on call are fantastic. I was told that they have a protocol developed by their doctors that they follow and so the advice they give is what your doctor would give. Pediatric Consultants at UT has an after hours clinic too. I've taken my kids in on Saturdays and in the evenings to be seen for urgent care type stuff. IDK if they do it year round, but they have had it for the last couple of winters that my kids have been seen there. It's nice to not have to go to the ER for everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page