Moved to Upstate SC and need EV ERYTHING : Ob/Gyn, pediatrician, hospital (whew!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  We just moved to Spartanburg county and have a laundry list of things we need and hope someone might help!  (I saw the older thread on pediatricians but am throwing it in here anyway...).

1.  An experienced OB/GYN, a who can handle natural childbirth and working with a doula....

2.  A pediatrician (prefer female, with children of her own) who is respectful of delayed vax.

3.  Any opinions/personal experiences on Spartanburg Regional vs Mary Black hospitals for birthing...again, looking for a natural childbirth experience, with a doula, as well as guarantee of private room... am leaning toward MB just because I don't like some general things about Regional, but want to make an educated decision.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

1. and 2. are both Dr. Stafford. He is in greer which isn't too far of a drive from Spartanburg. There are no female peds that I know of that are ok with no/selective/delayed vax.

3. Go to Greer Memorial. Miles better than either SR and MB. I've birthed all my children in SR while not ideal, because I had to have a c/s with my last two, it was the better option.

There is a birth center in town if you are interested.  And let me know if you need a doula...I am one and know many more in town...

#3 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Oh, and anything else you need to know about Spartanburg, let me know. 

#4 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Hello and welcome!!! I'm in Spartanburg, too, have a five year-old and a three year-old-hope you love it here!!!

We see Dr. Sheri Byrd at Byrd Medical associates in Reidville. She is an awesome doctor, very warm and friendly with kids AND parents. We delay vaccinations, and she has always been very supportive of that choice. Her husband is the GP in their practice, we see him when we have an emergency and Dr. Sheri isn't available. He is more austere than Dr. Sheri, not as outgoing, but also very kind and caring toward my children, and we like him a lot, too.I had both of my children at Spartanburg Regional, and had no complaints; my first child ended up being a C-section (she got her head stuck), my second a successful VBAC. I did my prenatal care with my second pregnancy with the midwives at Regional OB/Gyn, and also had no complaints; they were very supportive throughout my entire pregnancy, my choices were encouraged, my questions were answered, in full and with total respect for my status as a thinking, intelligent woman. When I needed tests, they were explained, and I was given the choice to decline with no repercussions. SRMC IS a hospital, and like all other hospitals in the area, their staff are limited by certain rules and regs-I wasn't allowed to eat during my labor, for example-but I have no complaints about their treatment of me. They respected my wishes during labor as far as, and sometimes beyond, what they are allowed to do, everything was explained to me in detail, and at no time did I feel that I was being pressured to make decisions or accept procedures that I did not need or want. My doula was treated as a member of my family, there were never any complaints about her presence, she was totally accepted and respected. My son was delivered by a doctor-the MW's are on rotation, just like the docs, and mine weren't on call that night-but the doctor was great, also very supportive of me and my choices, and I give her full marks. I, as a person experienced with their facility and their care, would stay as far away from the Mary Black as possible.  

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#5 of 10 Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM

Dr. Byrd is VERY pro-circ. however.

#6 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 AM

My boy is intact, and neither Dr. Sheri, nor Dr. Ed has ever said anything about it.

Eva, Tired Single Mama of Hurricane Bella~3/06 and Boy Bug Silas~7/08 fencing.gif

delayedvax.gifintactlact.gifcd.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM

Well, good! I'm friends with Ed, actually-we used to cook together.

Maybe she changed her attitude-but she told my friend that she was irresponsible for not circing at birth and bullied her in to it...

#8 of 10 Old 09-04-2011, 05:06 PM

Welcome to Spartanburg!

I second the suggestion of looking into our birth center--Labors of Love.

I've  consistently heard good things about Dr. Stafford, although I've never met him myself.

Let me know if you are looking for a chiropractor--I know the best in town and he also happens to be my dh :)

#9 of 10 Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 AM

Hi, Carrie!

Oh, and if you need a massage therapist-I am friends with a million of them.

#10 of 10 Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Just came across this thread searching for pediatricians in Spartanburg.  While I am here and this seems like a "natural" type of post...does anyone who answered this thread know of any pediatricians who are friendly to the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle?  Seems that someone who is supportive of delaying vaccines would be open minded to support someone who is vegan. So maybe we can search together?

I am due in November and am planning a natural delivery in a hospital setting.  I go to Premiere Women's Care in Greenville which is a practice of 4 women who are great.  I love it there.  So we will actually be delivering at Greenville Memorial.  I have been told that the nurses there are very open to natural delivery and do everything they can to make it possible.  My last appointment I was encouraged to work on my birth plan so my docs know what I want.  We do live on the west side of spartanburg, so going to greenville is not so bad.

User Tag List