homeschooling in the triangle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are considering a move to Durham next month from Oregon. We are a homeschooling family, waldorf-inspired. I'm hoping to be able to connect up with other friendly, like-minded waldorfy families. I think Durham will suit in many ways - I'm excited - but I'm still concerned about the homeschooling community. We are not religious as such and so it wouldn't work to be around a non-secular homeschooling community if religion was a big thing, you know? Does anyone homeschool here and so is familiar with what's on? Also, I wonder roughly how many families homeschool in the triangle if anyone knows? Like a lot, or is the community fairly small?

Thanks so much.

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#2 of 9 Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Oh, lots and lots of families homeschool in the triangle area. There are tons!! And a fantastic, welcoming secular homeschooling community. The Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro region is especially great for homeschoolers IMO. There is a Waldorf school here (nursery thru high school) and many homeschoolers incorporate some aspects of Waldorf education in their approach. There are several groups of homeschoolers in the area including the Chapel Hill Homeschoolers (secular based, but tolerant of all, with many, many members from Durham) who organize a Friday Enrichment program in the fall and spring with classes for kids of all ages, and THEA (looser) who organize a weekly park day for fun (not classes) as well as some smaller co-ops. You should have no problem plugging in to a group of like-minded parents. And I'm not even a homeschooler, myself, but some of my best friends are!!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh good to know beanma. I am definitely more reassured about moving down. Thanks a lot for the reply. 

om.gif

#4 of 9 Old 09-20-2011, 05:10 AM

You might like to check out KatieBeth's Learning Garden which is a great new educational store run by a homeschooling family at our local small mall. (There's a big mall, too, but this is the small one.) At least one of the parents occasionally posts on MDC. They have a lot of events at the store, too, like a hand-work get together and movie nights, etc. Kids and families can also consign hand made items, too, and they carry some Waldorfy stuff as well as some educational items.

I think you would have no problem finding like minded parents. Most of my friends who homeschool have a hard time picking and choosing which activities to do because there's just too many!

There are also a lot of opportunities for classes for homeschoolers outside of the Chapel Hill Homeschoolers Friday Enrichment programs. The local ArtsCenter often offers classes for homeschoolers and Irvin Learning Farm has a great outdoor program for young homeschoolers and there are other opportunities like Clapping Hands Farm and Schoolhouse of Wonder plus lots of cooperative opportunities organized by families.

So, cross homeschooling off your list of things to worry about in our area!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#5 of 9 Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Such great extra info! I was quietly mourning having to move away from the outdoor education program here. I'm so glad the void can be filled! Wow and I love the look of that store 'cause It's always a hassle not being able to see homeschooling materials online before you buy, ya know?!

Well, I'm so tired right now as this move has been exhausting ie. getting the house ready for sale, moving into a rental with my LOs while we wait for the house to sell etc. But, you have reassured me even further that NC could work for us and for that I thank you beanma. We'll be moving to either Ashland (Oregon) or the triangle but we're heavily leaning towards NC, geez especially if it has a fairly active homeschool population. Ashland is gorgeous, the weather is great, but I just don't know where the homeschoolers are here and property prices are outrageous!

I'm so hoping to fall in love with NC, you know? Like how you hear mamas talk about Maine or upstate New York. I don't know how we'll go with the humidity and mosquitoes, but I s'pose we'll get used to it. It sounds like many progressive type things that are taken for granted in other liberal areas abound in the triangle. Thanks again beanma. Nothing like getting a prompt response to a question on MDC. smile.gif

We're ready to escape 6 months of gray skies and hope to move to a place with lots of natural wild areas for the kids to explore. I'm hoping NC will fit the bill. Oh, is there really going to be a referendum on light rail in November?! thumb.gif

om.gif

#6 of 9 Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritofthings View Post

I don't know how we'll go with the humidity and mosquitoes, but I s'pose we'll get used to it. It sounds like many progressive type things that are taken for granted in other liberal areas abound in the triangle. Thanks again beanma. Nothing like getting a prompt response to a question on MDC. smile.gif

We're ready to escape 6 months of gray skies and hope to move to a place with lots of natural wild areas for the kids to explore. I'm hoping NC will fit the bill. Oh, is there really going to be a referendum on light rail in November?! thumb.gif

Well, the heat and humidity and mosquitos and ticks may well be your big adjustment. Durham is a great city and is undergoing a vibrant revival of sorts. It has a pretty blue collar (tobacco) background contrasted with Duke Univ and NC Central (historically black college) and now a lot of creative types have moved in and are making their presence felt. Unfortunately not all of NC is so progressive and the legislature just voted to have a marriage amendment on the ballot in May. Ugh. As a state we're pretty polarized on the topic and politics in general. We went for Obama last election, but elected and re-elected Jesse Helms for many years. 

The triangle has lots of mild natural areas to explore, lazy rivers and woods, but the beach and the mountains are each about 2.5-3.5 hrs away for bigger wilderness experiences. 

There have been many proposals about light rail, but they always have trouble getting off the ground. Haven't heard about a referendum in Nov, but I may just be out of the loop.

#7 of 9 Old 09-22-2011, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it's hard to find a balance between weather and politics! Our third possibility for relocation is rural Connecticut due to it's proximity to NYC and Boston for work. But I don't know how I'd go with the winters. 

Ah swimmable beaches! A welcome change from the pacific coast which I found freeezing. DH's family are skiers who frequent Colorado. Western NC mountains might not be that, be DH is ready to take anything he can in that regard as he's a snowboarder. Well, we've finally booked tickets to check out Durham at the end of the month. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

om.gif

#8 of 9 Old 10-30-2011, 09:10 AM

we are Waldorf-inspired homeschoolers in D-town.  i haven't met many other homeschooling families that actually embrace the Waldorf philosophy but we have lots of homeschooling friends.  and, that works fine for us.  we do our Waldorfy thing and hang with friends and families that do their thing and feel super supported in our life. 

we have a Waldorf co-op that meets at our house for part of the year with a certified Waldorf teacher guiding us for one day a week.  it will start up, again in January for a mixed age Kindy (4-6 year olds).  We'll meet either on Monday or Friday.  There is a fee for the craft supplies, the vegan snack and the teacher's time and loving guidance.  Let me know if you want to join us.  And, it's not just open to people who identify themselves as "Waldorf" homeschoolers.  Last year, we had a variety of families from different approaches join us but we were all interested and respectful on some level for the Waldorf philosophy- maybe that's obvious or none of them would have joined.  ;)  Just be in touch!   

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 9 Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Durham and the surrounding area has a really vibrant secular homeschooling community.  More classes and activities and all sorts of stuff than you could ever fit into your schedule.  And I find that we run into homeschoolers all over the place--for example, at the dance studio where my kids take class, there are lots of homeschoolers.

My kids are currently involved in a computer class, girl scouts, a muscial theatre class, and a Shakespeare production--all just for homeschoolers.

We have also done a lot of the programming at Schoolhouse of Wonder and love it (only not doing it this year due to a scheduling conflict).

I definitely feel part of a community--I have my more tight-knit close circle of friends, and then a much larger circle of the homeschoolers that I cross paths with on a regular basis.

One of the things I love about living here is that it's a great place to homeschool!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page