Family Practice Dr. in Knoxville? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted in the other thread about pediatricians but thought I'd start a new one too asking my specific questions.  Does anyone know of a family practice Dr in our area?  My son currently sees Dr. Rhea at Knoxville Ped Consultants West but I haven't been completely thrilled with everything there.  I'm not ready to leave them for sure but just researching my options (if there are any)!   

I definitely need it to be someone that's OK w/ being unvax or at least a delayed vax schedule.  My son is almost 9 months and is totally unvax.  I'd also like to be able to reach someone in the office in the evening hours in case anything happens that I need advice on. Any advice is appreciated!!  Thanks mamas!! 

#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 AM

I hated Dr. Rhea's office!  Long waits and I never would see the same person on follow-up so I'd have to  go through the whole story all over again.  I wish I'd seen your posts sooner, Dr. Shults is in the same area but only takes babies 6 months and younger, she might be worth a call though, just in case.  I don't know how she is with non-vax, but we do delayed vax, and she's totally cool, in fact she signed off on my son for pre-school even with delayed/selective vaxing!  And she does Saturday office hours and in the evening she or one of her NPs (there are 2 and both are great) has a cell phone and takes calls.  I even called her last year on Thanksgiving day and spoke to her!!

For a while I personally saw Dr. Todd Peters in the Summit Medical Group's Norwood Family Practice office.  I'm not sure where you live, if that would work for you or not.  Dr. Peters is great, he's totally ok with not vaxing, he thinks it's a parent's right to choose and told me he knows doctors who don't vax their kids. I was always able to get an appointment with him the same day I called.  I never had to call after hours, so I don't know how that works.

I stopped going to him because I had a problem with his nurse and I had strep throat one time that the medication I got didn't clear it up and I had to come back in because the nurse didn't relay my 2 phone calls.  I just found communicating with her difficult, but otherwise adored Dr. Peters and his perspective, he's very gentle and quiet.  I kind of wish I still went to him, but mine is a complicated situation and I feel a little stuck in my current situation because my doctor is a friend of the family who took me on as a favor.  He may not even have that nurse anymore, it's been 2 years now.

Good luck to you!

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 3 Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 AM

I replied to your post in the other thread. But, I take my kids to UT Ped Consultants. They see Dr McKeethren or Jaime (NP). We delay vaxes and selectively vax, but I know that those two have no issues with no vaxing (or if they do, they don't belittle you for your choices). They are both really naturally minded. Dr McKeethren even recommended a naturopath to me at my last visit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page