Parents of preemies in Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Is there a mom & baby group in Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area for parents of preemies/ children with developmental delays, etc?

I feel so alone in this, as it sometimes seems like every other mom out there is carrying around a little Gerber baby. When I take LO out to baby-friendly places, I often have to deal with a lot of staring and (usually unintentional) insensitive remarks. It's often difficult to relate to other moms who never faced the challenges of caring for a preemie with a developmental delay.

While I'm all about inclusion for my LO, I feel like as a mom, I need face-to-face interactions with other preemie/ special needs parents. Anyone know of any such playgroups for babies/ toddlers?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#2 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel for you! We were in a backwards town without any others going through what we were dealing with when DD was born at 29 weeks. But... That was in another state, so I don't know of any specifically in this area. You could contact some of these local recommendations maybe and ask?? Good luck!!

Preemies & Associates

Family Support Network

March of Dimes - NC

Triangle Mothercare

preemieprincess likes this.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No suggestions for you, as we are new to this area, but I just wanted to say hug2.gif and I feel your pain!  My lo was born at 32 weeks, and those first few years were hard.  I'm happy to say that she's now a healthy, strong 6.5 yo, and I hope that your lo thrives with age as well!  Remember, your love and care are the best preemie medicine in the world!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page