Homebirth midwife in Asheville? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas!  We are recent transplants to WNC and just found out that we'll be adding one more babe to our family; we are looking for a homebirth midwife in the Asheville area and I would love reviews and recommendations if you could share!  I'm currently considering Sarah Rathbone of Maitri Midwifery and the New Dawn midwives group; any input would be greatly appreciated!  

Jill

#2 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 AM

Hi Jill,

Welcome to WNC! I am a birth professional in the Asheville region and would be happy to speak with you in a private message regarding birthing options in our area. Due to the current midwifery laws, your "legal" options are limited. With that said, there are many alternate options that are not highly publicized. I have worked with or for many care providers and midwives and could give you some recommendations based on further details surrounding your vision for this labor and birth.

Also, on the off chance that you are not already aware of and/or a member of these groups, the following resources might provide excellent information for more specific questions you may have and may also assist you in meeting other mamas in our are.:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ashevillemamas/     (Online Mama forum; good for questions/requests but can get a little "catty")

http://www.wncmountainmamas.proboards.com/index.cgi    (Another online forum; they also have gatherings/playdates. This is the board I visit most frequently, as it tends to run a little "crunchier" and so do I)

http://www.ashevillemommies.com/index.php    (Yet another online forum that also has gatherings. they seem to be in a decline right now and this forum tends to run a little more mainstream)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ashevillelittleexplorers/  (Another group that regularly has events and outings)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111315408959537/  (this is a group I started over the summer where families can post/find last-minute plans. it has slowed down since the weather has turned cooler, but it was a great resource in the warmer months.)

There are also a few groups around town that you might enjoy after the birth of your next babe:
4th trimester's mama time  (
http://4thtrimesterfamily.com/)  and the y's mama and me class. Also, New Baby Asheville:

Lastly, Rebekah Alley hosts an attachment parenting group at 4th trimester. Email her for the next scheduled group.
rebekah@mysmarthands.com
www.mysmarthandsasheville.com
(828) 712-4587

Oh wait, you might also really love our Holistic Birth Collective!  https://www.facebook.com/avl.holistic.birth
Weekly meetings, monthly events and just some of my favorite, quirky, most genuine friends to hang with.

Also, please consider joining our campaign page...we are working to bring a free-standing birth center to Western North Carolina. www.facebook.com/WNCBirthCenter and www.wncbirthcenter.com

Please do feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way!
Blessings,
-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Birth Services
Doula & Midwifery Assistant
Placenta Prints & Encapsulation
Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga (2012)
703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.”
-Laura Stavoe Harm

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)
#3 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Stacey, my goodness, you're the bomb-diggety!  PM'ing you now - thank you!!!

Jill

#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM

I really love that you called me the "bomb-diggety"!!! I'm thinking maybe I need to add that to my business card...as a testimonial on my website in the least! Hahaha!

Just replied to your PM.

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)
#5 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 AM

HI! I am also considering Sarah Rathbone and the New Dawn group.... Meeting with Sarah next week and I've had 3-4 visits to New Dawn so far and haven't been extremely pleased. Do you have any input since you wrote last? Any experiences or stuff you've found out about either? I'm 13 weeks along, so I have some time, but still wanting to connect with other mamas around Asheville and since this is my first, to hear some different opinions and stories.

#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM

HI! I am also considering Sarah Rathbone and the New Dawn group.... Meeting with Sarah next week and I've had 3-4 visits to New Dawn so far and haven't been extremely pleased. Do you have any input since you wrote last? Any experiences or stuff you've found out about either? I'm 13 weeks along, so I have some time, but still wanting to connect with other mamas around Asheville and since this is my first, to hear some different opinions and stories.

#7 of 7 Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM

I love Sara Rathbone, although I am a bit biased...I currently assist her.  But she and her partner caught my third baby at home two and half years ago, and it was an amazing, empowering, and safe experience.   Sara has been practicing here in Asheville for over 9yrs and is well respected in the community.  She is competent, discreet, compassionate, humble, flexible, loving and above all dependable...VERY dependable.  

If you have any questions for me, don't hesitate!   I look forward to meeting if you do decide to choose Sara!  Blessings, congratulations and best wishes on your growing babe!

NW2SE likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page