Military wife and Mama to be seeking home birth in Jacksonville nc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well the title pretty much sums it up but Im 20 yrs old, married to a marine and I am 15 weeks pregnant. I want to have a home water birth but cant seem to find a midwife in Jacksonville or any surrounding area that is willing to do a home birth. I have Tricare and Pregnancy Medicaid so insurance is of no issue plus Im whilling to pay for extra fees or costs.

I was an at home water birth and would love to bring my sweet child into the world the same way. Does anyone know of any Midwife who would do an at home water birth or even just at home? Male or female I have no preference.

Thank you thank you

mamaDobbs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 01:18 PM

hi and welcome to mothering.com!

although i can't directly help you with this issues other than to cheer you on in your search for the birth you want. i wanted to invite you to come ask this and anything else on our Military Family Life Group. here is the link   maybe your find other ladies that have been posted in that area that can help

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Hi, mamaDobbs!  Welcome to NC :) We're stationed in Jacksonville, too.  I'm having a hb with Olivia Marshburn (http://www.midwiferyservices.net/index.html).  She does not accept Tricare.  I am not sure about pregnancy medicaid, though.  I am 13w and have had one appt and one long interview with her.  And I seriously love her.  Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 AM

tnt1043 - are you a military wife or active duty military? I'm active duty and I'm trying to figure out a way to do this.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Hi, I just gave birth in Lejeune hospital 4 months ago. I am planning to have my second child in the tub. The water was the only thing that helped with the pain and helped me to open. They sent me 3 times home from Lejeune Hospital saying that is a false labor because I was only open 3 cm and I have to be open 4 cm in order to admit me to hospital. I went home which is 40 minutes from the hospital and stayed in bathtub. Unfortunately, I could not stay long there cause I felt I was going to give birth that night and I was scared cause this was my first birth. I had to go back to the hospital and I was all drugged up, which made me feel horrible. I wish I could give birth in that bathtub. Please let me know if you find midwife around here, so I can contact her. Thank you.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM

I also want to have a water birth at home. I cannot find a midwife anywhere. I was wondering if you found someone or did you just go to the hospital?

Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Olivia Marshburn, CNM is the only option in the Jacksonville area for a homebirth with a legal midwife. Sending you a private message, whitneeash!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1043 View Post

Hi, mamaDobbs!  Welcome to NC :) We're stationed in Jacksonville, too.  I'm having a hb with Olivia Marshburn (http://www.midwiferyservices.net/index.html).  She does not accept Tricare.  I am not sure about pregnancy medicaid, though.  I am 13w and have had one appt and one long interview with her.  And I seriously love her.  Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Olivia actually does now take clients with Tricare. :)

Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 AM

I just moved to NC - before I moved I researched and found home births attended by midwives are illegal? Is this not true? I'm not planning on having any more but in case I ever did, I was figuring out what I'd do because I would only have a home birth.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylingeyz View Post

I just moved to NC - before I moved I researched and found home births attended by midwives are illegal? Is this not true? I'm not planning on having any more but in case I ever did, I was figuring out what I'd do because I would only have a home birth.

It is not true. Here in North Carolina under the current legislation, only a CNM (certified nurse midwife) can legally attend homebirths. For the entire state of NC, only 4 CNMs are currently practicing in the homebirth setting: one in Asheville, one near the Triangle/Raleigh, one in Fayetteville, and another that covers Jacksonville. That practice is Midwifery Services, http://midwiferyservices.net. Some birthing in NC choose to hire a CPM (certified professional midwife) underground, but many CPMs are choosing to stop taking clients until the legislation changes. And finding a CPM here can be difficult, as info usually spreads word-of-mouth. Homebirth is legal in North Carolina. I just had one myself a few days ago. smile.gif But this state, sadly, is hostile towards birth options and supporting midwives. So many are working to make things change. Even if you aren't a pregnant mama, there are many ways to connect with other like-minded local mamas. If you'd like any info about what's around Jacksonville, I'll be happy to connect you with people/resources. smile.gif
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Hi! My name is Rebecca.   I just found out I am pregnant with my third child (happy surprise!).  I gave birth to my second child at home assisted by a lay midwife in Indiana and had a wonderful birth experience.  I moved to Emerald Isle, NC a year ago and have no idea how to find a midwife around here. Rebekah7, any help getting in touch with the local "natural/home birth community"  would be awesome!  Feel free to send a private message.  Thanks in advance to any one who can help me!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaharris214 View Post

Hi! My name is Rebecca.   I just found out I am pregnant with my third child (happy surprise!).  I gave birth to my second child at home assisted by a lay midwife in Indiana and had a wonderful birth experience.  I moved to Emerald Isle, NC a year ago and have no idea how to find a midwife around here. Rebekah7, any help getting in touch with the local "natural/home birth community"  would be awesome!  Feel free to send a private message.  Thanks in advance to any one who can help me!

Sure thing! Sending you a private message. smile.gif

User Tag List