Duke insurance--need prenatal care (preferably not Duke) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I know this has been asked (believe me, I've scoured the archives), but I am 6.5 weeks pregnant and covered by Duke Select insurance. I live in the Durham area.

Nearly every encounter I've had with Duke Health makes me want to cry--including their prenatal care. I can't choose to see any particular doctor; I have to see all of them because who knows which one will actually be at the delivery. I have to have all this mandatory STD testing (seriously??) and their prenatal packet gives out just plain wrong information (no soft cheese; no heartrate above 140). UGH.

Please, can someone help a mama out? Both my husband and I are job-hunting, partly as an excuse to get off this horrible insurance and out of the Duke Health system, but in the meantime I have to find someone to care for the pregnancy. For my last birth, I had a family doc who did the delivery himself; he was amazing and I don't understand why I can't seem to find that with Duke insurance.

Please, is there anyone even remotely crunchy, who will see the pregnancy through without forcing me to navigate 7 or 8 providers and a demeaning attitude from the clinic? Pretty please? (I'm afraid I already know the answer.)

Thanks for any help, mamas.

(edited to add line breaks)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-26-2012, 01:17 PM

You can see the midwives at Durham Women's Clinic and deliver at Durham Regional . . . I see them for my GYN care but opt for homebirth 

0****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****403rdtri.gif

#3 of 3 Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM

I'm not sure how Duke Select works. Can you only use Duke? Durham Regional has quite a few midwives on staff and I've heard good things. There's also the Women's Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill which is freestanding and run by midwives.

We're fighting with our insurance at the moment, too. I just got a letter saying they won't cover the BC as "in network" (even though it IS!) so unless I can get them to budge, we may be looking at alternatives, too. I've been trying to talk to my husband about homebirth but I think I'd have a little convincing to do.

Good luck, mama!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page