Moving to Winston-Salem, NC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I am moving to Winston-Salem, NC this coming summer with my husband and our three young children (they will be 2, 4, and 6 when we move). Our children currently attend a Waldorf school in Pennsylvania and we trying to figure out what to do about school in Winston-Salem. Our oldest will be entering kindergarten and our neighborhood school will be Sherwood Forest, but we don't know much about it. Are there any alternative kindergarten programs? We are really looking for a kindergarten (and a preschool for the younger two) that values play in early childhood and where non commercialized toys/materials are used. Also, any suggestions for a pediatrician who is okay with delayed vaccinations and is open to homeopathy? Thank you!

#2 of 3 Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Hello, I'm looking at this area too.  I'll need a preschool for my 4 year old, a vax-flexible doc, and a homebirth midwife.  Any lick in your search?

#3 of 3 Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Welcome to Winston!

We vax, so I can't speak to that. In terms of homebirths, there is one CNM who does homebirths in Winston-Salem. Her name is Karen Benfield from Birthtender Midwifery. You can find her here or on Facebook.

In terms of preschools, there are lots of options located in churches that provide half-day programs, and then some places that are more like daycare centers that provide full-day care. We liked the program at Knollwood Baptist Church when we visited, though it's mornings only. (Also, we're a very liberal queer family, and felt comfortable there, if the religious aspect is of concern.) We ended up sending our daughter to the Montessori School of Winston Salem (which is actually one town over in Clemmons), which we love. No characters, no commercial toys, great curriculum, fabulous teachers. It's definitely pricier than the alternatives, though. Public options worth checking out for next year (it's too late to enter the lottery for the fall) are the Downtown School and Arts Based Elementary.

Good luck!

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page