Young Family-friendly neighborhoods in Chapel Hill - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Right, it didn't actually start as a retirement community in the other part, either. It just kind of evolved like that and they capitalized on it.

Ah, I see. I can see why it would have been more attractive to retirees at that time rather than families. But things have changed in that area quite a bit. There's more out that way now, and I hear the elementary school is pretty good.

#32 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All the schools are good and the middle school is brand spanking new.
#33 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We have friends with kids in Fearrington, too, but they didn't like North Chatham Elementary for their daughter. Unless there's a particular draw for living in Fearrington I'd pick elsewhere personally just because you have to drive everywhere from Fearrington.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#34 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

Isn't that the case just about everywhere around here? Unless you're going to live somewhere like downtown carrboro, though, and sort of downtown Pittsboro.
#35 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanma View Post

We have friends with kids in Fearrington, too, but they didn't like North Chatham Elementary for their daughter.

Oh I didn't know Fearrington went to North Chatham Elementary. Scratch what I said earlier then about hearing the elementary was good since I know nothing about North Chatham Elementary. I thought it was Perry Harrison like Briar Chapel.

#36 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Here was just a round of redistributing so who knows.
#37 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM

I live in Chapel Hill and can walk to Foster's cafe, Flyleaf bookstore, Weaver Street Mkt (bit of a hike, but we like to do it on the weekends), can take the greenway to the mall and the library (do that on my bike usually, but can walk, too) and just got back from walking to our pool and park. I can walk downtown, but it's uphill. My DH walks to work at UNC daily. My dd2 will probably be able to walk to Northside Elementary if we get redistricted, but we're at Carrboro now and it's a smidge too far to walk unless it's a delayed opening day when we do it sometimes. I know a lot of people who live in Carrboro (not downtown) and walk or bike lots of places. They don't live in the mill houses, either. Some of them live in the neighborhoods behind the farmer's mkt and some live in all those neighborhoods down off of N Greensboro. 

I like to visit Fearrington, but I wouldn't want to live there, personally. If you're wanting that inclusive neighborhood (with shops, etc) I'd pick Southern Village over Fearrington. More stuff there and it's more accessible for the average joe. The Fearrington shops are a little more upscale rather than family-friendly. We do go out there for special events like the carved pumpkin display at Halloween, but it's just not a place that I would pick, personally. It definitely has appeal for some folks, though. For me if I'm going to live in the country I want to have a few acres and have a big garden, etc. If I'm going to live in a neighborhood I want to be in town so I can be close to stuff. A neighborhood in the country doesn't have a lot of draw for me, but YMMV.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#38 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

In fearrington you can walk to two restaurants, a cafe, a beer garden, a bookstore, as well as bike several other places, and there's a community pool. It's a misconception that fearrington is inaccessible. Particularly in the older sections the housing prices are very reasonable.
#39 of 47 Old 06-20-2012, 04:50 PM

BTW, HennaJen, there is a community of Farrington out south of Governer's Club on Farrington Rd near Jordan Lake, but it's not much more than a gas station/bait shop and a church and volunteer fire dept.  I imagine what you're seeing on the map is Fearrington Village.

#40 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks Ladies, this is very helpful input! 

Ok, another question then, what is west of Carrboro, anything?  I'm looking to rent at least for the first year, I think that'll give us time to explore and figure out where we want to be long term.  I like the location of Carrboro, though a friend told me that it's mostly students living there?  Misconception?  I'll be out there next week looking around so hopefully I can get a feel for all those areas!  Excited!!!

#41 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 PM

I vote misconception, there are a lot of students but professionals and families, too. But that's just my impression.

West of carborro is pretty rural.
#42 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Total misconception that mostly students live in Carrboro. Probably some of the bigger apartment complexes on Hwy 54 have a lot of students, but several of those large complexes house a lot of immigrant families, too. There is a large Latino population in Carrboro as well as a sizable Burmese (Karen) population.

In houses in Carrboro I think it's mostly families, with a few housemates-older-than-students in houses, and even fewer undergrads in houses. I think you'll probably find more undergrads living in houses in Chapel Hill closer to campus. 

I agree it's pretty rural west of Carrboro. What would you be looking at? Saxapahaw is a great little teeny town NW of Carrboro, but it's in Alamance county so different schools. Be aware that Chapel Hill and Carrboro share a school system w/in the two towns, but Orange county has a different school system. CHC schools are reputedly the best in the state so the school system is a big selling point for real estate.

http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/components/docmgr/default.php?sectiondetailid=50676

#43 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM

I vote misconception too. Like Beanma said, there are some apartment complexes full of students, but overall the town is not studenty at all. There are lots of great neighborhoods for families. 

#44 of 47 Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

In fearrington you can walk to two restaurants, a cafe, a beer garden, a bookstore, as well as bike several other places, and there's a community pool. It's a misconception that fearrington is inaccessible. Particularly in the older sections the housing prices are very reasonable.

Well, I think the food prices are pretty spendy. That's what I meant by "accessible for the average joe". I'm not a huge fan of Southern Village either (too pre-fab for me, but a lot of people love it), but you can get to more restaurants and shops, movie theater, etc, more easily and they're less expensive. Housing is more expensive, though, but probably more sellable, too. Our friends in Fearrington really wanted to sell and move into Chapel Hill/Carrboro and they just couldn't get their house to sell even after doing work on it. 

HennaJen, you said you were trying to decide between the Triangle and Charlotte. The Triangle is the Raleigh metro area (including Cary and other outlying areas), Durham, and Chapel Hill (and Carrboro). It's a pretty big area. What's your family work situation? It's hard to really recommend an area w/o knowing about where you might be working, if you have kids who would be in school, etc. You seem to be drawn to rural areas. Is that a fair assessment?

#45 of 47 Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM

Obviously there's any number of reasons why they could've had trouble selling it.  Doing work on a house is not a magic recipe for it being easy to sell.  The real estate market has been a little tight the last few years everywhere, not just fearrington.

One restaurant at fearrington is very spendy, but the other is much more reasonable, and the cafe where you can get ice cream/coffee/sandwiches/salad etc is very reasonable, and the beer garden (and the bar at the midlevel restaurant) is comparable to any other bar in the area.

I guess this is getting really off topic, though, so agree to disagree, I suppose.

#46 of 47 Old 06-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Whew, overload!!  Spent today driving around w/my friend just to get a feel for the different areas. 

Beanma, my situation is currently work from home, homeschool my kiddos.  It gives me flexibility on the 'where' part.  I was really thinking rural cause 5 kids need space to run off their energy (in my experience wink1.gif) but my friends here live very close to NC State and love it.  I was already a tiny bit concerned about moving somewhere rural while also homeschooling.  My girls are very social and I wouldn't want them to feel isolated.  I'm torn, I think the small town direction would be good for us but there is something to be said for close neighbors and shops within walking distance.  This is turning out to be a much tougher decision than I imagined!

#47 of 47 Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 AM

HennaJen, Chapel Hill and Durham have a fantastic, open and welcoming, secular homeschool community. There are a couple of overlapping big groups that get together regularly. One of them, Chapel Hill Home Schoolers has organized classes in the spring and fall.

I don't think Fearrington would give you any advantage in the plenty of room to run off energy front. It's just a neighborhood with regular sized lots. If you want plenty of room to run around there are several developments with larger lot sizes (and larger price tags) and there's land available in Chatham, Orange, and Durham counties to build your own, plus the occasional farm for sale.

I can't advise on Raleigh, but if you've got friends there that could be a big plus. 

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are small towns in themselves and don't have a big urban vibe. If you're absolutely sure you'll be homeschooling all the way through high school you might want to look outside the CHC school district as the taxes are much lower. I have several homeschooling friends who chose to live in town, though. Some like to have the good district as a back-up and some like to just be able to walk around town. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page