Delivering multiples in Nashville/Murfreesboro/Franklin area? Also, doula recs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey mamas, my husband just got a job at MTSU and we will be moving to the Nashville area in July.  I am really thrown for a loop, as I have never moved cities before, and am currently 15 weeks pregnant with twins.  I currently go see midwives who are in a practice with doctors and who deliver at a local hospital. But it's a hospital that is very progressive and good about working with peoples birth plans, mom and baby-time friendly, kangaroo care-friendly, etc. etc.

I'm currently faced with the challenge of who to turn to in TN for care, and where to deliver (and of course making sure our new insurance will work with whomever).  We haven't yet decided where we are going to live, but as we will 99% surely be renting for the first 6 months to a year, we are very willing to base where we move to on where we can get very good care and a good birth experience.  I'm ok with giving birth with an ob/gyn instead of a midwife, and in a hospital...depending on how my pregnancy progresses, I figure that may even be a very distinct possibility.  I just want to do so in an environment that is at least somewhat open-minded and will be willing to work with the doula I will engage.  I'm also on the search for a good labor and postpartum doula.  I have found many good leads online, but am having a bit of a harder time finding those who offer postpartum services.  When I move, I will have absolutely no support network (I'm not sure if any of my family will be able to come visit and help after the birth), so I really hope to afford to engage a postpartum doula for a week or two.  Please forgive me if I sound scattered...it's just very hard to know exactly how to go about this, and I'm hoping a few recommendations will help me come to a decision.  I want to be prepared ahead of time for the possibility of a hospital/dr. birth in the even that that IS needed.  

Our initial thought was that we would live in Nashville, and I had considered contacting to Vanderbilt Midwives to see if their practice could start seeing me in July.  But I wonder about experiences of those who may have ended up in high-risk situations and needed a dr at the hospital?  

We also considered living in Murfreesboro, since that will actually be where my husband is working and he will be close at hand if I need him in the early months of motherhood  But looking at their hospital's website, it doesn't say much about their child birthing philosophies.Any thoughts on that hospital?

And finally, I did like the sound of the hospital in Franklin.  It seems a little more inline with the place i would deliver if I were not moving.

http://www.williamsonmedicalcenter.org/content/obstetrics-nicu

But of course it is hard to tell from online.  We will certainly be visiting the area, at least twice, before we move, to look for housing and just get to know the area a bit.  But as we will primarily be finding a place to live, time is going to be pressing and I don't know if I'll be able to schedule hospital tours, etc. while when we come down there.

I know it probably sounds a bit weird to base where one lives on medical care, but again, we will only be renting for a while, which will give us time to settle in as parents, and get to know Middle Tennessee and see where we might want to permanently settle.  So far, from the research we have done online, we would really be fine with living in any of those three areas.  And my husband is fine with commuting if he has to.

If you have read this far, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, and look forward to hearing any of your thoughts. My whole life is changing at a very rapid pace ...this move, the twins, and some other family stuff that is going on, so any guidance will be worth its weight in gold to my addled brain right now.  with gratitude, Robin

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have lived in Murfreesboro for a little over a year and I love it-From what I understand there are midwives all around (I'm doing some research on that as well, I just found out I am pg). 

http://www.tender-beginnings.com/   is in Franklin...I don't know how they are about twins...

Have you looked into the Farm in Summertown? I believe they deliver twins  http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/index.html  and they are about an hour and a half away from Murfreesboro.

I don't know anything about the hospitals around here.

Well, I hope you find what you need and wish I could be more helpful!

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM

My daughter used Vanderbilt Nurse Midwives twice and loved them...Margaret was her midwife...she was born at the farm...my DD had two natural deliveries...birth plans followed at every step...

Best of luck to you

#4 of 4 Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM

I'm a doula!  I'll send you a message.

Vegetarian, Montessori-loving, Blogging, Doula in Training, Student Midwife Mama to A 10/17/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page