Asheville - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Goody for me! I'm moving to Asheville. We're a Waldorf family. I'm wondering what mamas think about the Azalea School and the Rainbow Mountain School? How's the homeschooling community? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Here are some groups you might find helpful...very large population of us home/uschooling:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Asheville-Unschoolers/?yguid=404170053

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/home-asheville/?yguid=404170053

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Home-ToddlerandPreschool/?yguid=404170053

And general mama groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111315408959537/

http://www.wncmountainmamas.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=newestthreads

http://www.ashevillemommies.com/forum/index.php

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ashevillemamas/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ashevillelittleexplorers/?yguid=404170053

Welcome...and all the best to you!

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Birth Services
Midwifery Assistant & Doula
Placenta Prints & Preparations
Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga
703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.”
-Laura Stavoe Harm

“Whatever way birth happens, it is your rite of passage into motherhood, and that passage is to be celebrated.
Natural childbirth is a passage, cesarean birth is a passage, and birth with an epidural is a passage to be celebrated.
That passage cannot be taken away from you. Every mother’s birth experience is valid, and an act of courage.” 
-Ananda Lowe
Ydolem likes this.

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)
#3 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.

Yes, good for you! I think you'll love it here! We just moved to Asheville a month or so ago. We have been on the move for a long time, having first moved this time from our home in the Pacific Northwest and trying to find a new place to settle. I think we've finally found a place to call home here in WNC. We are a waldorf homeschooling family.... I'd love to meet up sometime. I heard the Azalea School is small and new but has a nice feeling there (located in a church in west Asheville). I went to their May Faire. It goes up to grade 5 I think? Or is it grade 3? Anyway, they have plans for expansion down the road etc. I haven't met up with the homeschoolers as yet but I hear it's pretty mainstream in these parts, so I'm feeling positive. 

Stacey, thank you for these links. They are very useful for me also! We are still getting settled but I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some other mamas. Oh, by the way, I visited New Dawn the other day and this week I have an initial meeting with Sara Rathbone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she could be the midwife for me as I am pregnant. I can't wait to meet her!  I have decided to throw caution to the wind. This will be my first homebirth after a few hospital births, albeit with midwives. So I am excited as can be!

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#4 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Welcome to WNC, ladies! We are in Hendersonville, about 20 minutes away, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it here! We have been gypsies for the past 5 years, and have finally settled here with no plans to move again, except to buy a house in this area.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#5 of 9 Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Yes, ditto for us. I have no plans to move again!!! Except to buy a house. I am worn out from all these moves!

om.gif

#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM

I would love to get together if you guys are interested! I will be out of town for the next few days, but maybe we could get together one day next week? I am a chapter manager for a local moms group, as well, and I have a storytime/mall playdate planned for Saturday June 2nd, at Barnes & Noble in Asheville Mall, if you ladies would like to come! Check out Asheville Mommies!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#7 of 9 Old 05-22-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Thanks for all the advice and welcome. We've been homeschooling for the past year and have been settled out here in Northern California for about 11 years. My husband gets to visit Asheville next week, but our move won't be for at least 10 months. I have a daughter who's 12, a son who's 9, and a son who's 5. 

#8 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM

SpiritofThings, from where in the PNW did you move? We're transplants from Bend, OR.   :)

And congratulations! Let me know if I can assist you in any way finding care providers and/or community resources. You may also be interested in the Asheville Holistic Birth Collective:

https://www.facebook.com/avl.holistic.birth

http://avlholisticbirthcollective.com/

Warmly,

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Birth Services
Midwifery Assistant & Doula
Placenta Prints & Preparations
Prenatal & Postnatal Yoga
703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.”
-Laura Stavoe Harm

“Whatever way birth happens, it is your rite of passage into motherhood, and that passage is to be celebrated.
Natural childbirth is a passage, cesarean birth is a passage, and birth with an epidural is a passage to be celebrated.
That passage cannot be taken away from you. Every mother’s birth experience is valid, and an act of courage.” 
-Ananda Lowe

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)
#9 of 9 Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 PM

Lilbsmama, sorry for the late reply... I am snowed under with boxes and trying to organise our stuff (junk) from the moving truck. I have to finish this! It's driving me nuts!! I am at the tail end of it all but still have a yard sale this Sat I'm left to go (oh man the amount of kid stuff that can accumulate!). So I don't think I can come to the playdate this Sat but would love to be in touch and try to make another day. 

Gwynsmama, we will be waiting! When you arrive... please be in touch! Hopefully I'll have more news to tell you about the waldorf scene here etc.

Hi Stacey, we moved from Portland. Oh you're from Bend?!! After we sold up in Pdx we were in search of sunny weather and thought we could make a go of it in Ashland but it didn't work out for us. I felt all a bit too isolated. We're hoping Asheville will be just right. (We're loving the fireflies so far!) Thank you for the extra links too by the way. I would love to contact you if I need more help with this pregnancy. For better or for worse, my neighbor wants to be a midwife - hasn't started training or anything as yet - but I've agreed to let her help out when I start laboring!! Gosh, what have I got myself into?!!!

om.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page