Moving to Asheville, NC at 34 weeks pregnant- no midwife/doula yet! [in deep need] - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all, 

Boy, I've had a *rough* pregnancy. Up until 4.5 months, I was living with the baby's father around South America and Manhattan... Then he decided he no longer wanted to be a father... so he made me homeless and penniless in NYC (when I refused to late term abort). I didn't know many people in the USA so I freaked out really badly... I was so afraid. I found out my sister was in Ohio (I wasn't close with her and hadn't spoken to her for almost a year prior to this) and I called her up and begged for her help. 

She agreed to help me. She was extremely emotionally unstable and just this past week she engaged in physical abuse towards me. She strangled me against my car window (when I wouldn't mirror her yelling) and I called 911... She was carted off to jail until Monday, so I was safe to go to the apartment to go get my belongings. A family down in Asheville (actually Brevard) offered to house me and give me all the emotional support I could possibly need so I gathered my things and am heading down there. 

I am 34 weeks pregnant and quite nervous about finding someone to support my laboring. I will most likely be on Medicaid (I was on it in Ohio so I'm hoping it will transfer well). I'm HUGE into natural birth and hopefully water birth. 

So, what I'm asking of you guys is:

1. Do you know of the hospitals or birth centres in/near Asheville or Brevard? What are the reviews?

2. Do you know any doulas who might be available for this unique situation? 

Please let me know any details... I'm in a huge need right now!

Rose. 

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

stork-boy.gif September 30th, 2012 Nicolas Cobourne

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 3 Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

have had pregnancy care though so I'm not off the grids! Everything has been perfectly healthy. (: 

My blog at www.rememberbaby.wordpress.com, filled with letters to my little one starting from 5 weeks pregnant until now!

stork-boy.gif September 30th, 2012 Nicolas Cobourne

computergeek2.gifslingboy.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gifphotosmile2.gifsigncirc1.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Hello Anya - it sounds like your ready for some much needed rest and relaxing in the last half of your pregnancy!  First of all, you can't get medicaid transferred from state to state.  You will have to re-apply in your county.  If you're in Brevard, I believe your closest hospital will be in Hendersonville, and that is Pardee.  The hospital in Asheville is Mission, and both hospitals have good choices for midwives that can deliver there, and have a fairly good reputation for supporting natural birth ( I believe Pardee is supposed to be more supportive than Mission).

That said, I have only had home-birth here, not hospital birth, so I am not an expert.  You should join this yahoo group:

groups.yahoo.com/group/AshevilleMamas

A very knowledgeable bunch of natural-living women!  They can certainly give more advice on particular midwifery practices.  Best of luck to you!!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page