winters in the Triangle are - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're moving from upstate NY to the Chapel Hill area within the next 2 months. I'm wondering what winter clothes to keep and what to get rid of!

How cold do the winters get? How often do you get snow? What type of warm gear do you keep on hand for yourself and your little ones?

(I have 2 girls, 7 and 3)

Thanks so much!

Julie

#2 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Winters are very up and down, mostly up, but there can be some definite downs, too.

Often it's very pleasant and in the 50s and sunny. 

Often it's very dreary and in the low 40s and raining. 

Often it's below freezing at night and in the morning when you get up to go to school. 

Sometimes it's very cold (overnight lows in the teens, occasionally in the single digits).

Occasionally we get significant snowfall (as in it sticks and they close school — no snow removal equipment here so we just wait a day or so for it to melt). Your kids will want to play in it then and I do think keeping some snow pants if you already have them is worthwhile for these occasions. It's just miserable to try to play in the snow in jeans and have them get all soaked. We probably average one snowfall a year where they have to close school. That means some years there aren't any snow days and some years we get more than one significant snowfall. I wouldn't go out and buy snow pants new, but I do keep some around that I have picked up at the thrift store. It's nice to have some waterproof snow boots for the same reason, but again we may have a winter where you don't need that stuff. 

You do need a warm coat, especially for those early mornings getting ready for school. 

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM

We lived in Syracuse for 6 years, and then Boston for 3yrs before moving to CH last spring (2011), so I think I have a pretty godd idea of what you're used to.  Winters here are mild, especially coming from "up north".  Yes, it is chilly in the mornings, but honestly, my kids never had more than good fleeces and hats last winter and they were fine.  On a small number of occasions, they wore gloves/mittens.  I tried to wear my down coat once last winter and it was definitely overkill.  Now, I have heard that last winter was mild, even for NC, so that may not be representative, but we have a giant crate full of snow pants, boots, gloves, scarves, etc. that we didn't even open...  

treehugger.gif Mama to DS 8/2006 superhero.gifand DD 4/2010 energy.gif with  stork-suprise.gif expected 2/2013

#4 of 5 Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Yes, last winter was mild. We can get snow here. Usually it's around an inch or two, but sometimes more like 6 inches, and sometimes 10-20+, although that is really rare, but has happened in the past 10-15 yrs — http://www.wral.com/weather/story/6865819/ . 

I wear my down jacket and my kids love theirs, but if you're cold hardy you may not need it. I wouldn't keep more than one pair of snow pants per kid, but if you've already got 'em might as well hang on to 'em just in case. They make playing in the snow so much more fun.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, all. This is definitely helpful. I'll weed through a keep a little bit of the winter stuff, but not boxes full!

J

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page