I need a new pediatrician or family doctor in the Sandhills or Triangle areas of NC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son, who is a little over 2 yrs old, is fully vaccinated (minus flu shots).  My 7 month old daughter has only received her 2 months shots and I am not going to have either child recieve any additional vaccines.  Due to severe eczema and other problems (blood in her stool) that began immediately after her last set of shots, I researched the actual ingredients of vaccines and my husband and I do not want that stuff injected into our kids.  I have been able to avoid a big argument with her current doctor by saying that I wanted to go to an allergist and pinpoint all of her allergies before consenting to any additional vaccines.  He was fine with this until he realized that she is actually two sets of shots behind now and took a totally different tone with me. 

We are currently on the waitlist for Dr. Ramsdell in Cary, but I have no idea how long that list is (I am guessing quite lengthy)  We are actually in the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area.  I am willing to drive as far as necessary to be able to take my children to a doctor who won't attempto to force vaccines on our family.  We have Tricare Prime, so I know that limits us.  I am willing to switch to Standard if necessary or even pay out of pocket.  Thank you for any suggestions.

#2 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Hi, and welcome to MDC! I'll move this to the tribal section where you're more apt to get local responses. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 9 Old 08-22-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mosaic :)  I wasn't sure of the best place to post.

#4 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Hi mcats, I have a 12 months old and we had the same problem. We are from Pinehurst. We are not totally against vaccines but would like to delay and reduce as much as possible. She had one shot so far - the DTaP at 6 month - after which I was completely freaked out! I think I want to wait at least till she's two for another one or not do it at all!
Anyways, I found at least two pediatricians in Fayetteville that will delay/not vaccinate. However the one had a long waiting list and the other would not take Tricare Prime. What we ended up doing is, since my husband asked some workmates, is going to Womack to Family Care. I know it is huge there and you don't get to see the same Dr every time, but you have total control over vaccinations. You choose if you want to vaccinate. The appointments we had there so far were actually pretty thorough and personal (contrary to my friend's app who goes to Pinehurst Family Care, the Doc only took 5 min for the whole check up). The other option is to go to a Pediatrician who doesn't take Prime and pay the difference!
mcats likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Sophko, thank you for responding to my post! Pinehurst Family Care is where we go currently.  We have gone to several doctors at the practice and while ours is nice enough, I don't think he is going to work with us on delaying or skipping vaccines altogether.  We would have to go to Clark Clinic if we do go on post.  I know that they send you over to a separate area for shots after the well child checks, but in your experience, do they tend to badger you about shots during your child's appointment?  We used to go there for my son's appointments until we moved out of Raeford, but he was vaccinated on schedule.  Which Fayetteville practices did you find?  We will switch to Standard or pay out of pocket if it would mean they wouldn't try to force them on us :)

#6 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM

http://clinicforspecialchildren.net/

Dr. Harum told me she had an office in Garner if that helps.  She works on a delayed vax schedule.

mcats likes this.
#7 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM

They were actually pretty undestanding at Womack. They kind pf emphazied the importance of vaccines and so forth but when they realized that we were well informed about it and had made the research to make an educated decision they let it rest. The lady at the vax unit however was kind of pushy and kept misunderstanding me (could have been due to the language barrier too, English is not my first language...) and did not understand at all how somebody could be worried. I also don't think you could do any "special orders" there...
The pediatrician which is cool with no vax that our midwife told us about is Legacy Pediatrics in Fayetteville. I forgot now if they accept prime... You would have to call and ask. And always double check on no vax, never know if they change policies...I can give you the other one in a few days, we are abroad right now and I have to go through my old emails for that. Hope that helps!
mcats likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  According to Tricare's site, they do accept Prime and are accepting new patients so I will call them first thing on Monday to confirm that and feel them out on the vaccination issue. 

#9 of 9 Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Legacy is fine with delayed vaccination, but is not taking any new patients at this time...this seems to be the case with all "vaccine friendly" doctors in this area.  :(

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page