Chapel Hill Carborro - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I just applied to UNC for the summer semester... I still don't know if I've been accepted but I don't want to wait till last minute to scope out places to live. I'm hoping for some recommendations for apartments/town homes in the area... Nothing too expensive but clean, safe, and quiet. I read that the west side of chapel hill might be more rural and quiet but I'd rather look at places that have a decent reputation. Anyone familiar with this area ????

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#2 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Bumping for input for those of you in the area. Anyone have anything to share?

#3 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There are oodles and oodles of student apartments in Chapel Hill. The only complex I know you definitely want to avoid is "Collins Crossing" which used to be "Abbey Court" which used to be "Old Well". It's always been pretty low rent and there's actually a dispute about a recent rent hike and poor maintenance right now. I think the others are pretty easy to scope out when you come to town. There are lots of duplexes, condos, townhomes, rooms in shared houses, basement apartments, and single family homes for rent, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM

I would say avoid the various apt complexes along 54 west of 15-501. The villages is good. I you want something with a more mixed demographics glen Lennox is excellent, but a little pricey. There are also generally houses for rent. Depending on how close you want to be consider going s to northern Chatham county, there's a park and ride that can take you to campus.

Chapel hill is great! Go heels!
#5 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you get in you might also check out Student Family Housing. I know some folks who switched over to that after renting a house because they could save so much money. It's right down by the hospital so not a secluded location at all, but some people really like it (of course some people don't, too, but worth checking out.)

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 AM

Yeah family housing there is nice! They recently built new ones to replace the old ones.
#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!  I'll check it out.  Cross your fingers for me!

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page