Life in South Carolina? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope some see this thread as I did not know where to post this. My husband, 2.5 year old DS and I live currently about 30 min outside Philadelphia. While this area has much to offer, we are looking for a change for many reasons. I am a nurse and was recruited by a hospital near Goose Creek,SC. We are very much a holistic family including homeschooling and I have done some research online and it seems to be a nice area. Can any mamas here comment to living near here and how life is for you?

Thanks

#2 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM

Hi, I live about 2 hours NW or where you'll be but when I moved to SC from MO I found everyone here to be very nice, friendly, helpful, and welcoming. There are also lots of more natural minded families than where I'm from and I enjoy hanging out with them. I plan on homeschooling when the time comes and that seems widely accepted. I'm sure there is a good community out there in Goose Creek as well. Plus you're right by the ocean...orngbiggrin.gif Sorry I'm not more help but maybe someone from that area will see this and comment.

Emelee married to J in 03/07. 12/10 our DD C was at 41.3 weeks, and 06/12 our fraternal DDs A and V were hospital birth at 41.1 weeks.
#3 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm in NC, not SC, but I think that area of SC close to Charleston would have more resources to offer a holistic homeschooling family than some other areas of SC. The Charleston area is lovely. I think the offer would definitely be worth considering. Plan a vacation to go check the area out. The city-data.com forums, while not natural family living oriented can offer a wealth of info for relocators. You might consider lurking there, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 15 Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. We currently drive about an hour to our pediatrician, who agrees not to vax. We also loved our midwife and for future children, would prefer a birth center or homebirth. That area of SC seems to have good resources, however this website I felt, would be a better evaluator, esp. from other holistic moms. 

#5 of 15 Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I agree, but I haven't ever seen a whole lot of posts from Charleston area Moms. You might do a search on this forum, though.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#6 of 15 Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 PM

You will have no trouble finding the community that you are looking for in any of the Charleston areas. Goose Creek is a nice family area and close enough to downtown Charleston. Be aware that it is warm and extremely humid the majority of the year.

eat.gifteapot2.GIFgoorganic.jpgcrochetsmilie.gifPeace.gifcaffix.gifchicken3.gif

#7 of 15 Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 AM

other than goose creek, theres a navy establishment there right?,  can anyone recomend some areas around charleston, green minded, fam friendly? 

#8 of 15 Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM

greenville area?

#9 of 15 Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM

Greenville is in the upstate. I live in Summerville which is about 10 mins from Goose Creek. It is a good area. If you are going to the hospital I think you are Summerville is a good option. There are several mom's groups on FB that are Natural minded on FB that you can check out. Charleston Green Moms is one. There is also a homeschooling meeting group on FB as well that plans field trips every Friday for homeschooling families.  The area is becoming greener minded but not perfect. Plenty of Chiropractor options and while you may have to hunt a little for some openly minded non-vax friendly Peds they are out there and not to far from Goose Creek/ Summerville area. Hope that helps some.

Me 35 DH 37 DS (7)-- Furbabies Smoaky(15) Orion(5)

saynovax.gif ribboncesarean.gif belly.gifwinner.jpg

#10 of 15 Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 AM

thank you, it seems like, perhaps, greenville is a bit ...greener? i read some really great things recently. organic options, the only earth market in the country! :) 

#11 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Im from Charleston. Lots of great stuff going on in that area! If you have any questions ask away :)  here are some links: https://www.facebook.com/charleston.southcarolina.9?fref=ts and here is an attachment parenting group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/152931781444531/?fref=ts

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Charleston is very family friendly. Its a laid back beach town. I was born and raised there for the most part. Sorry to post again but thought of more info that could be useful. There is a HB midwife in summerville and lots of doulas. The farmers market downtown is great. Also some great charter schools and a few Montessori schools. i have a few friends that homeschool. There is a Unschool group that meets thurs on Johns Island and they also have a summer camp https://www.facebook.com/growing.spirit.3?fref=ts   Also Park Circle in NC has some great stuff going on. They have a farmers market etc and some great restaurants and art walks etc http://perfectlyparkcircle.com/

goorganic.jpg    namaste.gif    nocirc.gif  winner.jpg  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#13 of 15 Old 05-22-2013, 02:17 PM

I've lived in the Charleston, SC area my whole life. There are great breastfeeding, homeschooling, babywearing groups, shopping, CSA options, homebirth midwives, doulas, one birth center, and lots to do as a family in the area.
Margaritaa likes this.
#14 of 15 Old 05-24-2013, 09:34 AM

Brandy Brandfass is the midwife that served at the births of my youngest 2 children and she lives in Goose Creek.
#15 of 15 Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM

I have been finding lots of cool pages/groups on FB for charleston (besides the ones posted). this page has things to do in the area https://www.facebook.com/FingerprintCharleston?fref=ts So much going on in the area :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page