So.... Wilson NC? Anybody? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I searched old threads to see if anybody lives in Wilson or near it.  So far, not much luck even with those people who posted 2 and 4 years ago asking the same question.  So what I want to know is: Anything new?  Anybody live near there?  I am contemplating moving from Baltimore to there and feel I am in for a BIG culture shock-- moreso my boys are.  I am concerned about them, actually. 

Would love any input.

Thanks

#2 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Replying to self to add:

I did see the thread below mine about Raleigh, which is an hour west of Wilson.  Just wanted to know if anyone was closer than that.!!  wink1.gif

#3 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

I grew up and lived in Rocky Mount (Nash County) until 2001. Since then, I have lived in that Nash County/Wilson County area (though not directly in the city of Wilson) for a few months in 2006 and then 18 months 2007-2009. I have friends and family around there still, so we visit from time to time. Wilson has grown as far as shopping and some newer houses, but it's still a small town. It's always seemed much more friendly and open-minded than Rocky Mount, which is strange because they are neighboring cities. I could probably answer some specific questions for you.

What would bring you to Wilson? Career?

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WednesdayO View Post

I grew up and lived in Rocky Mount (Nash County) until 2001. Since then, I have lived in that Nash County/Wilson County area (though not directly in the city of Wilson) for a few months in 2006 and then 18 months 2007-2009. I have friends and family around there still, so we visit from time to time. Wilson has grown as far as shopping and some newer houses, but it's still a small town. It's always seemed much more friendly and open-minded than Rocky Mount, which is strange because they are neighboring cities. I could probably answer some specific questions for you.

What would bring you to Wilson? Career?

My husband might have a job offer teaching (h.s.) there and he is considering the move b/c he hates his current job (not teaching) and hasn't had much luck with the schools up here in MD.

I am wondering mostly, I think, about the cultural stuff, and my kids.  How are people with "quirkier" type children?  Private school is not really our set but it might make sense for our two oldest (11 and 8) to go to the school where he would teach.  And I am concerned that there will be problems.  Stigma, even, for non-light-colored skin and less-than-athletic personalities.

Does that make any sense?  Like, we are in school here at a public school in a big city where the little details aren't noticed as much by kids and certainly not really thought of as important by other parents or teachers.  Here they are just trying to keep the kids in school and out of trouble.  I am actually afraid we will stand out as "the weirdos" becaus we are in some silly way different....can't hide in these small towns.....and that it might hurt my husband's job, too. 

#5 of 5 Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Congratulations to him if he finds the teaching job he wants! I know it can be difficult doing so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ambivamom View Post

How are people with "quirkier" type children?

I think there are all kinds of people no matter where you live, but I see your concerns. If you're in a smaller town, there might be a smaller ratio of them and therefore they stand out more. Sorry that I don't have more specific information about the schools there.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page