Mothering Forum banner

what is life like in TN?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  crunchymama27 
#1 ·
thinking of moving from PA to TN or KY. would love to hear where in TN you live, what your job is, and anything you can tell me about your area.

We are hoping to buy some land (like 15 acres) and have a small farm. we are homeschooling so schools don't matter, but id like to know about HS laws in TN.

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

#3 ·
We moved to Tennessee 3 years ago. We live in the south Clarksville area, putting us north of Nashville by about 45 minutes' drive. Lots of open land out here, yet it's easy access to all the conveniences. I'm a birth doula and childbirth educator.

#5 ·
Late to this thread but I live in Chattanooga and love it! I don't homeschool but I know lots of people who do and my sister HS'd my niece through 4th grade. I believe it's very common here and the laws are very accepting from what I understand. Good luck!

#6 ·
I moved from southern Ca to east Tn a little over 2 years ago. We actually live right on the border of east Tn and Va. I love love love it out here. I was a little depressed at first because I didn't have friends. It's weird...there are more casual chatty encounters with strangers out here than in Ca, but when it comes to hanging out regularly, I've noticed a lot of people out here are flakey...I've ended up making quite a few good friends through LLL and babywearing meetings.
Where I live is absolutely beautiful...Gorgeous green trees everywhere you look. Fresh air and clear skies.
I just wish someone had prepared me for the humidity and all the bugs!
Definitely a great place to have a farm.

#7 ·
Born in TN, 6 of my 7 born at home in TN, we are currently in coastal CA.

I'd check out the HSLDA website for a comprehensive breakdown of state homeschool laws. Basically in TN you have two options- umbrella schools, or register as a homeschooler through your county schools, with minimal supervision (testing starts in 5th grade) and vaccine requirements, or you submit a can submit a waiver, your County is likely to be ignorant and unhelpful with this process so look online for info. Unbrella schools are mostly religious, but there are some secular and online options.

TN is obviously going to be a lot hotter than most of PA, year round, and have a lot less winter weather. If you end up in the western part of the state, you'll be in tornado central and on the New Madrid fault. Church led groups dominate the West TN homeschool scene, but they are common throughout the state. I would recommend looking in Middle and East TN, it's a little less poor, the landscape is more interesting, less risk of tornadoes the further east you go. Also you'll get somewhat cooler temperatures if you get up towards the hills. The Farm is located not far south of Nashville (and they function as an umbrella school if you so desire) and Bowling Green KY is a bit north of there. Beautiful rolling hills in middle TN and rivers. Going east you have even more topographical variation leading into the Smokeys. ARGH holds a yearly gathering of unschoolers in the mountains. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/AutodidacticRadicalGatheringofHomeschoolers/info Homebirth laws are alright, CPMs are legal. LLL is fairly active in the state. Politically the state has been run mostly by neo-cons with a smattering of Gore type liberals, yet so far there is still no state income tax, people are very active in protesting attempts to pass one. Downside is a statewide sales tax that will hit your food bill up a little. Big Pharma has quite the toehold in this state, as do Cargill and giant agribusinesses. OTOH if you need extensive medical care for kids, Le Bonheur and St Jude's in Memphis and Vanderbilt in Nashville are good hospitals. If you are planning on buying cheap farm land you should be aware that GMO pollution is only getting worse and it would be wise to buy land that is bordered by State or national forest and land trusts rather than other farms, unless you can get in on the edge of a Mennonite or other alternative community, lots of pollution from agri-chemicals and CAFOs. Raw milk sales are illegal.

HTH, I miss my family in the Volunteer state, but my family needs medical cannabis laws that work and TN is nowhere near passing a comprehensive bill, especially now that Cohen is serving as a Federal rep rather than a state one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.