Need to narrow it down - help please! Durham/CH area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-14-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Mammas!

As mentioned in my other threads we are thinking about moving to the RTP area. I've read all the older threads started by other mammas that had been in the same boat, but I'm still kind of clueless about what would work for us. since we are visiting in a in a couple of weeks *yeaks* I'm trying to narrow down the neighborhoods to check out, and I'm also interested in towns outside of Durham/CH that may be interesting for us.

so, here is our wishlist - I know, I know we have to make some choices:

- we would like to live in a relatively urban area where there are neighborhoods within the city. Could, however, also be a little town with an active center not too far away (max 30 min. to city center) from Durham/CH

- Community with a relaxed and open-minded lifestyle

- Home schooling community available (considering homeschooling)

- kid friendly with lots of outdoor activities (i.e. in the woods) for kids, etc. not too far away from the city

- walkable to a farmers market

- neighborhood with families. I would love it if my son had some buddies within walking distance

- a ground floor apartment or similar, where I could have a small vegetable garden

- ideally, we would pay no more than $1000 for a newish 3 bedroom apartment/town home or house. But, I know this is hard to find combined with all our wishes :wink.

Currently, I have: southpoint, woodcroft and parkwood

so, since I am thinking about homeschooling, I would like to find a way to benefit from the active (homeschooling) community in Durham and Chapel Hill, while living outside in the more affordable neighborhoods. Is that possible? Where would that be?

Thank you so much!

#2 of 2 Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Woodcroft is near us. It's not near a Farmer's Market.... well not walkable. Southpoint isn't far from there and is the same... not walkable. Parkwood isn't too far from South Durham Farmer's Market, and although I haven't been to it in a while, it's small.

Woodsy areas will be tricky, but they exist. Some neighborhoods just pack the houses in, but since you mentioned apartments, there may be some communities with outdoor spaces. There are places that have community gardens too. I don't know anything about apartment complexes, but I have several friends that live in different ones. I would think it's hard to find a neighborhood without kids. The entire Triangle area of NC is a busy kid-friendly place! As for homeschooling, that would be anywhere! There are homeschoolers galore and plenty of groups and activities!

I grew up not far from here, although it's changed and grown over time. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Wendy - treehugger.gif   aspiring Waldorf handwork teachercrochetsmilie.gif, computer geek's wife  geek.gif,

mom to former 2lb preemie (now 9) dust.gif & 3x cat.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page