Mothering Forum banner

Natural birth in Winston Salem - Obgyn recommendations?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  hunterofkyle 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
We just found out we're expecting our first, so I need to find an obgyn. We live in the Winston Salem area of NC. Up until this point, I've been able to use my family doctor for my woman's health services, but obviously that won't work for pregnancy. I really want to have a natural birth, (or as much as possible in a hospital) barring any complications, and I would like a doctor who isn't going to give me grief about it. To add to my trouble with finding one, I am uncomfortable with a male doctor for woman issues. I'm sure they do a great job and I've heard all the reasons why they are just fine, but it's not for me. So I'm struggling to find an all female obgyn office.

I had looked into the birth center in Statesville but it's a 50 minute ride from our house, and I'm worried my husband won't be able to handle that long of a drive with a laboring wife. Plus,I'm a worrier by nature, so since I know very little about taking care of a newborn, I think this first child, being sent home right after the birth might be a little overwhelming.

So does anyone have any recommendations at all? I'm rather stuck for what to do and I need to get an appointment set. Right now I'm leaning towards the woman's center in Clemmons, who only has 2 female doctors on staff, but I don't want a fight for 8 months on my decision for a non-medicated birth.

Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings,

I am a Certified Birth Doula in Winston Salem. 0:) I have over 7 years experience with assisting birthing families and connecting them with all types of amazing care providers, childbirth education, pediatricians, and more. I can make the process very easy for you and your family. Checkout my website. Let me know if
I can be of assistance to you and your family. http://birthsyourway.wix.com/births-your-way

Take care,

ShLanda:thumb

#4 ·
Congratulations! I'd highly recommend considering delivering in Greensboro at Women's Hospital. You can have a midwife-assisted birth, and will have a much easier time finding supportive care providers than you will in Winston. I live in WS and gave birth to twins at Women's last year. Totally worth the extra driving, which really wasn't bad at all. We saw Tanya Bailey at Wendover OBGYN and had a good experience. Lots of other folks go to Central Carolina OBGYN. Both are in Greensboro.

When I was interviewing OBs in Winston for my twins, it became very clear that it would be an uphill battle to have the natural birth I wanted. (Forsyth hospital does not allow midwives to deliver, so it's all OBs.) The midwives at Wendover were so supportive of my desires, and helped me have exactly the birth I wanted. Also, almost all of the Winston OBs have large practices with on-call rotations, so you have no idea who will be at your birth. The only exceptions are male practices, so if you want a female provider, that won't work. Wendover has three midwives on staff, so you'll know them all ahead of time.

If you're set on delivering in Winston, I've heard that Lewis Lipscomb is the most natural-birth friendly OB in town. He is also very socially conservative (has actively posted things online against gay rights, etc.), so he was not an option for our family.

Good luck with finding a good fit!

#5 ·
Hi and thanks! I pretty much decided on that route. I'm going to the MedCenter in Kernersville, so it isn't a terrible drive, but they deliver at the Women's Hospital, which from all I had read sounded like I was more likely to get the kind of birth I would like (barring anytime going wrong) than I would have been at Forsyth.
Thanks for the recommendation (even if I am late in acknowledging it) which backs up my decision as a good one.

#8 ·
Just replying to say I feel your pain and I'm glad you've found care providers you trust!

DH and I just started TTC, but I've already had an appointment with the midwives at the Statesville Birth Center (to have my IUD removed since my family doc doesn't do that) and found them positively awesome. I think I'll probably suck it up and drive the 45 mins to see them; at least DH has said he's ok with driving that far if it'll get me the birth I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.