Onslow County, NC (Jacksonville, Richlands, etc.) - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 700 Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
Just wondering if you all wanted to do a play group sometime around hubert if anyone is interested email me thanks.

I'm in swansboro- I don't know what the weather is like this week but I would love to havng out
#302 of 700 Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 PM

Just checking in and saying Hi
#303 of 700 Old 04-27-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/ncfom

Mention your county in the notes as that will help the petition carry a little more weight in Raleigh.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#304 of 700 Old 04-27-2007, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hi violafemme!

I was hoping to meet you at the homebirth meetup the other day, Alysia said you were thinking about coming.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#305 of 700 Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Please Join

The North Carolina Friends of Midwives

in celebrating

International Day of the Midwife

Halifax Mall in Raleigh

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2007

10am - 2pm

Show Your Support for Midwifery Care

For All Women in All Settings!

Learn about new legislation that will license Certified Professional Midwives in NC, listen to families speak about their home birth experiences, visit information booths and enjoy a delicious catered lunch!

Celebration will be held between the two legislative buildings at Halifax Mall.

Directions to Halifax Mall:

From Points East of Raleigh:

Take I-40 West to Exit 301. Take I-440 west (the inner beltline) to exit 298 (South Saunders Street.). Take South Saunders Street toward downtown (turns into McDowell St) - turn right on Jones Street, then left on Wilmington Street.

Take 64 West, go over the I-440 beltline; 64 turns into New Bern Avenue. Take this road into downtown Raleigh - make a right on Wilmington Street.

From Points West of Raleigh:

Take I-40 East to Exit 289. Follow Wade Avenue all the way downtown (go past St. Mary's Street intersection). Road merges onto 401 South (Capital Boulevard, then becomes Dawson St.) Turn left onto Jones Street, then make a left on Wilmington Street.

To register for this event, find out more information or become a Friend of NCFOM, please visit

www.ncfom.org

Liberate Labor: Mandate Midwives!

#306 of 700 Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

Hi violafemme!

I was hoping to meet you at the homebirth meetup the other day, Alysia said you were thinking about coming.
I was but my morning sickness hits me at night so we stayed in..........I'm sure I'll catch you sooner or later.
#307 of 700 Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Oh and while we are on the topic of midwives and homebirths, I had my first appt on base at the Naval Hospital and the midwife who is to be my care provider seemed to have no problem with the idea of a homebirth. She was careful about how she worded things for liability reasons I'm sure but seemed open to the idea and willing to be as helpful as she can be without putting her own job at risk. I really liked her and was rather relieved.
#308 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Hey everyone,

I don't think that I have actually posted this anywhere on the boards- havn't really been around here much the last few months. But We found out on Easter that we're pregnant. Due December 15.

I was getting so much crap from the naval hospital and from tricare (ob clinic hadn't processed my referral from my pcm and told me that even when they did it would most likely be a few weeks before I would get in) so I actually eneded up switching to tricare standard. I'm going to the Crist Clinic. Trying to find a doula that hubby and I can afford. His cousin that lives in SC is supposed to get her certification w/in the next two months, but I worry that if I decided to use her it would take her too long too get up here (it takes about 4hours to get to our house, 4.5hours to get to OMH). We'll see though.
#309 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violafemme View Post
Oh and while we are on the topic of midwives and homebirths, I had my first appt on base at the Naval Hospital and the midwife who is to be my care provider seemed to have no problem with the idea of a homebirth. She was careful about how she worded things for liability reasons I'm sure but seemed open to the idea and willing to be as helpful as she can be without putting her own job at risk. I really liked her and was rather relieved.
I had a similar experience with a midwife at NHCL. In fact, the midwife I saw was a prior homebirth midwife herself.

Are you planning a homebirth, then?

#310 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 PM

Thinking about it. So long as things remain uncomplicated, I'm leaning in that direction. It's nice to know that thre are midwives like this one though in case I do end up at the hospital.............she even told me the Hep B vax was optional!
#311 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc320 View Post
We found out on Easter that we're pregnant.
Congratulations!!!

#312 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 PM

I'm worried that I may have messed up today. I was at the salon and the lady doing my nails asked where I was having my baby. I told her at home so she asked more questions. As I was explaining about things and brought up the pediatric practices at OMH, the other lady getting her nails done spoke up. Turns out she's the chief nursing officer at OMH and a pediatric nurse. She had only good things to say about most everything involving MWs and homebirths and such. She assured me that it's not actually routine practice to take healthy babies to the nursery for hours if the parents don't want that. She gave me her card in case I had any more questions or needed help with anything should I end up there. She was very nice. My concern, though, is that she knows my OB and the pediatrician I had designated and I'm afraid she might say something to one of them about me having a homebirth. She did ask a few questions about who I was having attend me and said that it was good I had Dr. Gant (the pediatrician) as my backup (he is not and I never said he was). I was vague. I sure hope this doesn't cause any problems for me or my MW.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#313 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, we're active tonight!

I wanted to let you all know about the local food co-op. I think I've mentioned it before. I've been doing it for almost a year now & I love it! There are tons of products available (the catalog is about 200 pages)...bulk foods, frozen foods, herbs, supplements, etc.

You can get more info at the website: http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/

The local coordinator is Tama (johnandtama at earthlink dot net) or PM me for her phone number.

#314 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Chicken Pox between Wilmington & Southport!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=670572

My 7 month old is probably still too young....

#315 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thinking about it. So long as things remain uncomplicated, I'm leaning in that direction.
I loved my homebirth midwife! I hope we are here for the next baby so we can have another with her!

#316 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Turns out she's the chief nursing officer at OMH and a pediatric nurse.
Oh, what a coincidence! I don't think it's likely she could cause trouble even if she tried...does she even know your name?

#317 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM

hey Shannon,

Does the co-op have produce available?
#318 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
Thanks for the replies! That really is a relief. My midwife said to bring the birth plan to my next appointment and they'll add it in to my file, so I am making one this week. I'll be sure to add it in, and I'll bring extra copies in my hospital bag in case it goes missing. Thanks for the help!
Due date was May 3!
I hope all is well!
-mercy
#319 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Does the co-op have produce available?
Nope, everything but. They do have it in other areas, & I think that is expanding, so maybe we'll get it later. I'll be sure to post if that changes!

#320 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM

I know of a CSA farm in the area if anyone is looking for local, small farm, no pesticide produce.
#321 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know of a CSA farm in the area if anyone is looking for local, small farm, no pesticide produce.
Do tell!

#322 of 700 Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM

It's called Dogwood Farm. PM or e-mail me if you want more info. The people who run it are lovely, but as a city girl it sure wasn't what I expected when I went there the first time!
#323 of 700 Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 AM

When I delivered my last in 2006 at OMH, he was allowed to stay with me in the labor room for approx 1 1/5 hour before they took him to the nursery, was gone for an hour and they brought him back. .. didn't even get slack about him being in the bed with me sleeping
#324 of 700 Old 05-12-2007, 06:40 PM

I am pretty much at whit's end with my current job. I just can't handle loosing the animals anymore (I work at a vet clinic). I also can't put up with some of the bs. Really I just need a change. In January, I applied to like every single bank in the county and with no luck didn't hear back from anyone. I have an associates in applied sciences and I am in school right now for an accounting degree. Does anyone know of anything in the area that is hiring. I don't want to work as a waitress cause I don't want to work evenings/nights. I would prefere something on the Richlands side of the county since I live out past the air port.
#325 of 700 Old 05-19-2007, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up a brochure in the library the other day about activities for children sponsored by the county extension. Hannah isn't old enough, but if you have a kid who was 5 on or before Jan 1, 2007, you might be interested.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/onslow/4H/Avenues.php

Some programs have different age limits...

Day Camp
Native Carolinians
Environmental Ed-venture Camp
Beginners Riding Camp
Basic First Aid
Sew Much Fun
Wildlife Rendezvous
Hammer and Anvil
Life on the Farm
Ready, Set, Cook
Babysitting Certification
Weaving Baskets
From Farm to Fork
It's Electric
Making Faces

#326 of 700 Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM

hi ladies!

i just found this thread, and hope its not completely dead.

i live in newport, my dh is stationed in cherry point. its not exactly jacksonville. but it not too far, and id love some crunchy momma friends.

3dds and me (and dh)
#327 of 700 Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm near Richlands, so quite a ways from you, but maybe we'll meet in the middle sometime.

#328 of 700 Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 AM

I'm at Camp Lejeune but should be moving out to Jacksonville next month.

Does anyone know of a place locally to get a booster carseat cover? If not, anywhere good online?

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#329 of 700 Old 05-21-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

What kind of cover are you looking for?

#330 of 700 Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 AM

A cover to protect the seat so I can just wash the cover when it's dirty without having to take the seat out and take the pad off of it. That's a real pain. I found one website but it seems kind of expensive to me. http://www.kiskissa.com/car_seat_covers.htm I have a Meseez cover that I bought at a store in Hawaii for my convertible carseat but it doesn't fit on the booster seat very well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page