Onslow County, NC (Jacksonville, Richlands, etc.) - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 700 Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can join the LLL yahoo group to have meeting reminders emailed to you here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LLL_Jacksonville/

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#362 of 700 Old 08-13-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like the AP book club will be meeting Wednesdays at 10 am.

If you would like to join, please take another survey for book choices here.

And join the yahoo group here.

Feel free to share this info with other moms who may be interested!

Thanks!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#363 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 04:54 AM

Still no luck with housing, nobody will allow us to keep our dog and I have found no one suitable here that will take him. I have 10.5 weeks left until due date and I am at my wits end. Any recommendations? I am at a loss. DH even went to the Town Center Apartments to look. Some guy was dealing pot in what would be our front yard!!!! We are currently number 60something on the list for housing and even though DH's Master Sgt. took up our case, they can't help us get bumped up. 10 weeks is awhile though..or so it seems. Although that doesn't make me feel any better and I am starting to panic.

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#364 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack45 View Post
Still no luck with housing
Jessica, I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time!

Have you thought about buying? When DH & I moved here we thought we'd rent for a bit and then buy, but when we got to town (35 weeks pregnant!) we could not find any place to rent. After a week or so we decided to just go ahead and buy straight off. We moved in to our house 2 weeks before Hannah was born!

You've probably already found the bah rate query page. There are some mortgage calculators at the Navy Fed site. I like realtor.com for browsing houses, though if you do decide to buy, you should get in touch with a realtor because they will have the most up to date listings.

Is your DH working with a realtor to find a rental? They often have listings that you won't find in the papers. Also try http://lejeuneyardsales.com/ http://classifieds.enctoday.com/ and http://www.camplejeuneglobe.com/marketplace/

#365 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 AM

I have a wonderful Real Estate agent I can recommend. I'll PM you her name and number if you want it. I don't know if she does rentals, though. Buying is definitely a good option around here. We lived on base for about 8 months when we first got here because we couldn't find anything to buy on such short notice. It was pretty awful. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and decided to buy a house and moved 2 weeks after having my baby. It is so much nicer living off base here. Huge difference from KBay. Does the housing wait list cover the main base, both TTs and the air station? That is a long time to wait, especially when I go on base and see all the empty officer's houses. I've heard rumors about them being changed to enlisted housing. Have you looked into Cherry Point? It's kind of far away but I know people commute all the time. I think it's about an hour, maybe a little less.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#366 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Thank you for the links. I don't think that we are in a financial situation to buy unfortunately. We are newly weds and DH is an E-2 with less than a year in the USMC. What are the chances of being able to sell the house if we have to move? DH called today because I have been on him to find out what number we are now. According to the snotty woman on the phone we are no longer on the list. What does that mean? We have not been bugging them, we have not found other housing, and nobody has notified us that one came open? What is going on? I would like the number to anyone that might be able to help. Thanks! I feel so helpless since I am in Missouri and am not used to being unable to handle our business properly. Some realtor actually laughed at me"you need a place for your newborn and vicious dog." He is a German Shepard, if he was vicious do you think that I would keep him especially around a baby? What are the chances that we will be moved within the next 4 years? Pretty high???

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
#367 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 04:05 PM

I don't think you get on the actual list to get a house until you get here and check in. If you sign up before you get here, once you check in you are put on the list at the spot based on when you signed up rather than when you got here and checked in, if that makes any sense. Maybe that's why the one lady said you aren't on the list. You aren't on the list to actually get a house yet but you are on the list to be put on the list once you get here. It may not be as long a wait as you think once you get here. I have no idea what number we were but we got a house the same day we checked in. That was officer housing, though. I think enlisted housing wait might be longer. I've not seen many empty enlisted houses.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#368 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We are newly weds and DH is an E-2 with less than a year in the USMC. What are the chances of being able to sell the house if we have to move?
BAH for E2 is the same as for E3 & E4.

Selling the house will depend on a lot of factors, but you can pretty much guarantee that a military town will have an active market at least!

Quote:
I would like the number to anyone that might be able to help.
Family housing info here: http://www.lejeune.usmc.mil/family%5Fhousing/

Your DH is here & checked in already, right?

Quote:
What are the chances that we will be moved within the next 4 years? Pretty high???
Depends on a lot of variables, including his MOS, but generally speaking USMC should expect to move every 3 years.

Relocation help at onesource and militaryhomefront.

#369 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 PM

I could've sworn I posted about my doctor situation but I don't see it anywhere. I am now without a MD for me and my kids. I wasn't too impressed with my doc the last time I went to see him so I've decided not to go back. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've met people who've spent their entire military career here. We're hoping to extend for at least one more assignment here making our stay a total of 6 years. I agree that in a military town there'll will almost always be a market for buying and selling homes.

#370 of 700 Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I've met people who've spent their entire military career here. We're hoping to extend for at least one more assignment here making our stay a total of 6 years.
Yeah...we've been here 4 years and will be here at least 2-3 more. DH's MOS has 3 units here and DH can pretty much bounce around between them if he wants to. He did 2.5 yrs w/one then 15 months with another and now he's just gone back to the first again.

PMing you about Drs.

#371 of 700 Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

The AP Book Club will be reading Hilary Flower's Adventures in Gentle Discipline!

I will be placing a group order for the book to save on shipping.
If we buy two books, the cost for each will be $11.20.
Three books is $11.03 each.
Four is $10.51 each.
And so on.

I'm going to stop spamming about the book club here, so if you are interested in participating (even if you won't be able to at this time) please join the book club yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jackso..._AP_Book_Club/

#372 of 700 Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 PM

We found a place to live and DH is dropping the deposit now!! We get to keep both pets and I am so excited!! He has to go to that moving class thing tomorrow so, we will see what happens from there. I hope it is soon. I don't know about doctors though. I will be delivering at the Naval Hospital, but do I need to find an OB? Will someone see me this late(30-31 weeks)? I am estimating that it will take about 4 weeks until I am actually there. So, 34/35 weeks?? I am starting to freak out about that. Any recommendations? Also, where is a good place to get used furniture? I don't have a kitchen table. Thanks!!!

#373 of 700 Old 08-23-2007, 08:37 AM

thats awesome!
i dont know about having ob's and the naval hospital, if noone else can answer, maybe call around.
as for furniture, id start with freecycle, because i like free stuff

3dds and me (and dh)
#374 of 700 Old 08-23-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray! I'm glad you found a place!

If you know you're in at CLNH, then you will be seen there but it's typically just whoever is on duty.

As far as used furniture, check out the classifieds for the papers (Jacksonville Daily News, Globe, Rotovue) and try lejeuneyardsales.com

#375 of 700 Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM

Hey everyone. Here I go, again! I'm looking into local farms to try to find locally grown, organic foods. I've got a list from a website called Local Harvest but I'm not completely clear on what some of the stuff means. I'm hoping someone here can help me. If you have any info or opinions on any of these farms or farmer's markets, I'd appreciate it.

A&E Farms in Jacksonville
Onslow Farmer's Market: I know where and when this is. Does anyone go regularly? Do they have organic farmer's there? Do they advertise it or is there anyway to know who's organic and who's not? I'm going to try to go there today.
Whispering Dove Goat Ranch & Apiary in Jacksonville: This place sounds pretty cool. They only allow people by appointment and give tours. If anyone would like to go for a tour as a group, let me know and I'll set it up. (I'm wondering if this is the farm owned by the lady who also works at the TailSpinner in Richlands.)
Nature's Way Farm & Seafood in Hampstead
Dogwood Farms: This is the farm that Heather has mentioned. I know, I know. I need to just go there, right, Heather? Can you clarify again, are they organic?

Any places definitely worth my time, any I should absolutely stay away from, others no one knows and I should call first?

#376 of 700 Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I was just thinking of bumping this thread...

The farmer's market only had three vendors when I went on a Tuesday a couple of weeks ago. We stopped by on Saturday & there were only 5 vendors, maybe b/c of Farmer's Day in Richlands? Earlier in the season it was filled to overflowing on Saturdays. Just talk up the vendors to find out about their products...there may be some that use organic practices but aren't certified. There are definitely some that sell some non-local produce.

I would love to do a tour at Whispering Dove!! I have a friend who would probably be interested also.

#377 of 700 Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Yeah, the farmer's market was a bust today. there was only one vendor from Ketchum Farms and most of his stuff wasn't local. none of it was organic. i went early in the day so i wonder if more vendors might be there later. i'll try again on saturday. he was nice and helpful when i asked him questions even though i didn't buy anything. he told me the strawberries at northwest farms are organic and you can pick them or buy them already harvested.

I forgot to ask, if the farm is described as conventional, does that mean they use pesticides? Anyone know what it means if they are described as conventional and range fed (or something like that)?

I'll call Whispering Dove asap and get details.

#378 of 700 Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 AM

What did you find out about Whispering Dove?
It is not Melissa's Place (the sheep lady from the tailspinner)
#379 of 700 Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 AM

It's not the sheep lady's farm. I haven't called yet. Things got crazy here. I've still got it on my mind and would like to get something set up for next month.

#380 of 700 Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm here and trying to get settled. Getting the nursery ready and putting the house together. I got checked in with and OB at the Naval Hospital. I think he is too much of an alarmist so, I have a different one to see next week. It is so hard to change things this late. What is there to do around here?? I spend a lot of time at the base library for lack of a better thing to do!!!!

#381 of 700 Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Glad you made it!

To do around here: Take classes at CC Dance/Mercy's Garden. Learn to yarn craft at the Tail Spinner. Join my AP book club. Join Marine Wife's AP playgroup. Come to La Leche League on Friday. Go to the beach. Visit historical sites.

#382 of 700 Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What is there to do around here?? I spend a lot of time at the base library for lack of a better thing to do!!!!
Haha! If you figure this out, let me know.

#383 of 700 Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Hey Everybody!
I just got together with a lovely new momma in town
that is a Sign Language Teacher/interpreter(sp?)

We are working out the fine details of curriculum and price
for putting together a class. Not Baby Signs but ASL.
We know we want to meet at Luna Cafe on Monday evenings
when it is closed for business...so I can take the class too.
My son and daughter will attend too. Alyssa maybe your guy
teenager would like to come? I'm not opposed to any age.
Just know that it won't be singing signs.

I'll keep everyone posted on the particulars but please let me
know if there is interest.

AND always know that these venues are here for your use.
You know! Mercy's Garden has tons of free space on the
schedule so if you want to plan a get together during these
colder months...Just let me know!

These last couple of months have been extremely stressful for me and my kids on a personal level and I don't have much fuel most days.
Hangin by a thread...I feel it in the air too...like it is really not
just me. Or maybe I realize my own humanity more.
Who knows?
My point is...Don't waste time feeling unsupported!
We have a great group of nurturing mommas all around us!
We do! Keep reaching out! and PLAN something FUN AND FRIVILOUS!
and then tell me what it was. : )
#384 of 700 Old 10-04-2007, 04:05 PM

I would love to take that class, mercy. I can't get out too late, though. I know what you mean about high stress levels lately. It's been one thing after another with me.

#385 of 700 Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM

Haha Shannon. I didn't realize you'd posted all that stuff to do. I should know that since I do it all.

For those not yet on the Yahoo AP Playgroup, I set up a date to tour Whispering Dove Goat Rand and Apiary. It's $5.00 per person over 2. It'll be from 1-3 on Monday, October 22nd unless there's a big outcry to change it. I told them we'd probably have about 10 people but they can accomodate up to 25.

It sounds really cool. They have pasture goats and free-range chickens, rabbits in cages, an apiary (that's bees, which I didn't know...), and lots of other birds. The kids will be able to pet some of the goats. They have a store at the end where you can buy their products.

If you plan to come and need directions, let me know. If we are all driving separately and paying separately, the man I spoke to suggested arriving about 15 minutes early to make sure everyone is there and has paid in time to start the guided tour.

#386 of 700 Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
Haha Shannon. I didn't realize you'd posted all that stuff to do. I should know that since I do it all.

For those not yet on the Yahoo AP Playgroup, I set up a date to tour Whispering Dove Goat Rand and Apiary. It's $5.00 per person over 2. It'll be from 1-3 on Monday, October 22nd unless there's a big outcry to change it. I told them we'd probably have about 10 people but they can accomodate up to 25.

It sounds really cool. They have pasture goats and free-range chickens, rabbits in cages, an apiary (that's bees, which I didn't know...), and lots of other birds. The kids will be able to pet some of the goats. They have a store at the end where you can buy their products.

If you plan to come and need directions, let me know. If we are all driving separately and paying separately, the man I spoke to suggested arriving about 15 minutes early to make sure everyone is there and has paid in time to start the guided tour.
hmmm. me and my daughter would enjoy this if theres room for us.
id need directions and any additional details.
thank you.

3dds and me (and dh)
#387 of 700 Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Also, you can go to www.meetup.com and look for Playgroups in this area. I'm a member at "Mama's and Munchkins of Camp Lejeune" and "Yummy Mummies" and there are playgroups for kids of different ages every day. Hope you find something soon...the library gets boring after a while.

Does anyone know the theme at the upcoming LLLI meeting?

joy.gif
#388 of 700 Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM

OMG, toyarmy. I'm so sorry. I totally forgot to send you info and directions for the goat ranch. I was going to do it right away but got distracted. Again, I'm so, so, so sorry. If you join our Yahoo group, you'll get info more consistently. Yahoo Jacksonville AP group

#389 of 700 Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

MissE, the next LLL meeting will be on "The Family and the Breastfed Baby." Are you on the LLL Jacksonville email list? I'll let you know what narrower topic we'll be covering when I figure it out. Is there something you'd like to talk about?

#390 of 700 Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so excited! I've started a sourdough starter from scratch! No commercial yeast, just the wild stuff! And I successfully baked a loaf of bread with it today!

With that surfeit of exclamation points, if anyone here wants to get some sourdough starter from me, let me know & we'll make arrangements.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page