Old 01-20-2008, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post
Well...I've only been here 4.5 years.

oh good, that makes me feel better :

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=nccrunchymama;Almost at the bottom of the page, there is a listing for a Naturopathic Doctor in Wilmington. [/QUOTE]

I had a very respected friend tell me she would not go to the naturopath. I don't know why. I didn't ask for specifics.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I had a very respected friend tell me she would not go to the naturopath. I don't know why. I didn't ask for specifics.
That's good to know. Was she referring to this one in particular, or all naturopaths in general? I'd love to find a good naturopath and a homeopath, too. One person who does both well would be even better! Any suggestions? Thanks!

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccrunchymama View Post
That's good to know. Was she referring to this one in particular, or all naturopaths in general? I'd love to find a good naturopath and a homeopath, too. One person who does both well would be even better! Any suggestions? Thanks!
She was referring to a naturopath in Wilmington. I don't know if it's the same one but as far as I know there only is one in Wilmington. Instead, she referred me to a nurse practitioner. I don't know if I still have that info, though, because Wilmington is just too far for me to drive for stuff like that. There's an acupuncturist in Jacksonville who covers everything. I really like her and I love acupuncture. She also has massage and reiki and herbal medicine. Her store is on Western ine one of those shopping strips. It's on the end near 24 on the left if you're coming from 24 next to a formal dress shop. There's also a limo parked out in front.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

The puppet show was cute, and the girls loved it. Nora appeared to enjoy it even more than Hannah, which surprised me!

There is another CSA that's closer...Dogwood Farms.

Thanks for the eatwild link. I need to find some time to sift through it and find the closest one(s). It would be a easier if I didn't have to look everything up on a map!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM

I couldn't find anything closer than 2 hours or more on eatwild. I had to look everything up on the maps, too.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Wow. That CSA link for Dogwood Farms is on http://www.localharvest.org/ so I went to the home page and searched by our zip code. There are 28 (!) listings that are mostly within a one hour drive. There are several listings for grass-fed beef and pastured poultry, eggs, organic veggies..... Thanks!

I had to look at the maps for eatwild, and I think about 2 hours was the closest I could find, too. But I'm willing to go a little farther than most people, I think, because DH and I have family in so many different directions. I just shop whenever we visit. I sure am glad to see so many more farms closer than I thought.

You know, you can drive through the country and see farmland everywhere, but it's nice to find a list of who sells what and where to go to get it.

MW - Can you give me the name and/or phone number of the acupuncturist? I know the area you're talking about. I just can't place which strip mall. I guess I could just drive by, but we've got colds, so I have no "get up and go" right now. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:40 PM

I'll see if I can find the number for you. In the meantime, can you tell me which farms are close that sell grass-fed beef and all the organic stuff? I looked on localharvest a few months ago and, although I found a lot of listings, I don't recall finding much organic or any beef nearby. I don't know the area well at all so maybe I just didn't realize how close the places were.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 PM

OK. I think this website crashed as I posted my reply. I'll try to post again. Glad I saved it.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:26 PM

Here's what I found for grass fed beef.

Kee-Lang Farms Inc. in Trenton is 30 miles away. The listing doesn't say much except that they have grass-fed/pastured beef and pork. Farming practices are labeled "grass fed/pastured" and products and crops are beef, pork and hay/straw

McCoy Cattle/Hog Farms
in Cove City is 42 miles away. Their listing says "Hereford and Angus cattle and Commerical cattle" but under farming practices, they have labeled "conventional, grass fed/pastured" and since they also grow veggies and contract pork, it's not clear which is which.

JMCCoy Organic Farm
in Warsaw is 47 miles away. Their listing says "pasture raised cattle and produce organic hogs on ground" but under farming practices, they have labeled "naturally grown, conventional, grass fed/pastured" so also not clear which is which.

A & A Farms in Harrells is 64 miles away so it's about an hour and a half away. Their listing says "We are contract growers with Prestage Farms, farming 2 nursery houses of swine. We grow beef cattle, spanish goats with A&T State University, row crops, process pasture land for cattle and goats." Their farming practices are labeled "conventional, grass fed/pastured". Since the pigs are obviously raised conventionally, it sounds like the beef and goats may be grass fed. They might be for the university, though, and not available to the public.

The other farms are mostly pork, goats, poultry, and veggies. I haven't had a chance to talk to any of these farms yet, so this is just what I got off the website. I hope the one in Trenton is perfect because they are certainly the closest.

Also, if you ever go to Morehead, there is a restaurant downtown called Cafe Zito that serves grass fed beef from Harris Acres Farms in Pinetops (2 hrs away). I've never eaten there so I don't know anything about it. It's just nice to know there IS a restaurant in Morehead that serves grass fed beef. My family is all over Carteret County, so I'm up there pretty often. But usually, I eat with the family, not out, so I may never know if they are any good or not!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks. I read about Cafe Zito. I think what concerned was the "conventional" part. Does that mean they still use hormones and antibiotics? I'm most concerned with the use of hormones. I guess I could just call, too. Let me know if you find out more.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 PM

Jacksonville Oriental Medicine Center
215 Western Blvd., Ste. 300
(910) 989-0002
www.domclinics.com This is just a general information site.

It's somewhere in between the KFC and Fuddrucker's.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

The Eatwild site has a map.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

The Eatwild site has a map.

It sure does. did you find anything good? I still haven't talked to any of the farms yet. I'm low on ambition this week.

MW - thanks for the name and number. I'll have to get around to checking them out sometime, too.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

oops

Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I haven't gotten anywhere. I have lots of ambition but uncooperative kids and higher priorities.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 PM

OK. I'm beginning to feel a little isolated. DD got sick about 3 weeks ago and since she decided to share, we've had one after another ever since. I thought we might finally be past it when nobody was sick Tues or Wed, But then she started with the sneezing and runny nose again on Thurs. It hasn't been anything serious (just colds mostly), but I just don't believe in passing germs around, so I'm stuck! I didn't realize how much I was needing interaction until my mom called and I just about talked her ear off! So, I just needed a little vent. Thanks for listening.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccrunchymama View Post
OK. I'm beginning to feel a little isolated. DD got sick about 3 weeks ago and since she decided to share, we've had one after another ever since. I thought we might finally be past it when nobody was sick Tues or Wed, But then she started with the sneezing and runny nose again on Thurs. It hasn't been anything serious (just colds mostly), but I just don't believe in passing germs around, so I'm stuck! I didn't realize how much I was needing interaction until my mom called and I just about talked her ear off! So, I just needed a little vent. Thanks for listening.

We went through this last winter around the same time. Someone would get sick. We'd pass it around. When we were all finally over it we'd go out and within 4 days someone would be sick again and we'd go through the entire cycle. I think we spent 2-3 months doing that. This year we've hardly been sick at all.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

MW--I see by your mood & sig that DH is home???!!! Hooray!

I went to Bulk & More yesterday & they've got whole chickens now! $1.50/lb. The sign said free range, grass fed, all natural, & antibiotic free.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Very cool, Shannon. Have you mentioned that place to me before? Someone I know just showed me the article about it in the paper. We're planning to go next week, I think. I was actually going to come on here and mention it. I also noticed there is organic ground beef, hot dogs and sausages in the freezer section of the commissary next to the Bubba's Burgers. I don't know if they are grass-fed or not. I was having a hard time reading the label.

Yep, dh is home and so is Ryan so I've been having a good time. Although, I have to admit, having dh home hasn't given me the amount of relief I was hoping for. We're still working on things.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've mentioned Bulk & More on this thread before. I found a link to the article online; I hadn't seen it yet.

Do you mean the Organic Prairie frozen meats? I've seen them before but they are so expensive! I saw nitrate free hot dogs at the Lejeune commissary last week (Oscar Meyer & John Morrell) and I know New River has at least the Oscar Meyer. They are not organic, though.

I'm glad to hear Ryan is back, too! I am trying to maintain a realistic view of DH's upcoming homecoming (less than 2 months).

Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 AM

It's probably Organic Prairie. The ground beef is in 12 oz frozen tubes. I've been getting the "natural" ham and turkey lunch meat by Oscar Meyer from the Food Lion. I know it's not organic but it's one step better than the usual stuff and I needed some quick and easy protein foods for Ethan. The last two times I looked they had the ham at the lejeune commissary but not turkey. I looked for nitrite free hot dogs there but didn't see them. I did find the "natural" bacon by Oscar Meyer, which is nitrite free.

Ryan's only here until Sunday. Then he's going back to his dad's. I'm just enjoying having him home for as long as he'll be here. His friends have been hanging out, too, which is a lot of fun. Teenagers are so cool!

Old 02-08-2008, 03:38 PM

MW - Yay for you! I'm glad your dh is home and your son has come to visit. I hope you all enjoy it.

I didn't know Oscar Meyer made "natural" bacon. I bet it's pork though, isn't it? We don't eat much. Actually, dd and I don't eat much and dh doesn't eat any. We usually get turkey bacon. I didn't know they made "natural" lunchmeats either. I quit buying them a long time ago because of the nitrites and such. I'll have to check them out.

Shannon - I'm glad you mentioned Bulk & More has chickens, now. When I called them about a month ago, they told me they didn't sell any kind of meat. I'm glad to hear they do now.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Yep, it's pork. I usually would eat turkey bacon, too, if I eat it at all. My oldest ds likes pork bacon. I don't know which one is better or worse. Turkey is supposed to be better than pork but it has the nitrites.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Breastmilk and Stem Cells

Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Was wondering is there any playgroups for attatchment parenting in onlsow county. If so can you send me the link. Thanks

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 02-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Jacksonville AP group

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Thank you for that just joined. ? did you have a home birth here and if so where at. I have a friend that wants to have a home birth and doesnt know if the military will pay for a midwife that works outside of the hospital. thanks.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Not MW, but I also had a homebirth here.

Your friend can go to http://www.nchomebirth.com. Under "resources," click on "find a midwife" for a form to fill out.

Tricare won't cover it, but the cost is very reasonable (mine was around $2000) and well worth it!

We're currently working on legislation to certify CPMs in NC. See my blog post for more info.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Tricare does cover homebirths with midwives but they have to be CNMs in this state. As far as I know, there aren't any CNMs in the area who perform homebirths, so Tricare won't cover it here.

Things are a bit confusing about it. I have a friend in Florida who is seeing CPMs at a birthing center and considering a homebirth, which they do as well. If I understood her correctly, she was told Tricare would cover her birth at the birthing center with the CPMs. She may have had to switch from Prime to Standard if she couldn't get a referral or non-availability statement from a mtf. However, I'm not sure if they'd cover the homebirth. It may be that what Tricare will cover depends on the state law on midwifery care. Basically, if Tricare covers midwife care and the state says CPM midwife care is legal, Tricare has to cover that care. Since CPMs can practice legally in Florida, Tricare covers them.

I did have a homebirth here, on Camp LeJeune main base as a matter of fact. (I didn't broadcast that part.) I paid for the entire thing out of pocket but, like Shannon said, it was quite reasonable considering the alternatives. I have been wondering if there's a way to deduct the cost from taxes under medical expenses. We can't do it this year since we don't have any income to take deductions from but that might be something to look into.

User Tag List