Onslow County, NC (Jacksonville, Richlands, etc.) - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
My husband seems to think that if you are a military dependent that you are exempt from jury duty. will have to ask my sister she is a cop she might know more then me. hope you dont have to go to jury duty. I have been exempt cause I only get them for missouri and we are too far away.
I think that's only if this is not your home state of record. I had to get a NC driver's license when we moved here so this is now my home state of record.

I'll be at the playgroup Friday so I'll bring the book with me. I'm the moderator of the yahoo group.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM

That is great. I will see you then. I will be the one with the two boys and looking like this.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I think that's only if this is not your home state of record. I had to get a NC driver's license when we moved here so this is now my home state of record.

I'll be at the playgroup Friday so I'll bring the book with me. I'm the moderator of the yahoo group.
yeah. you can get out of it in nc if youre nursing. id just call the # on the card or whatever (i got jury duty when i had dd1 in 01, and got out. but the law remains)

3dds and me (and dh)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyarmy View Post
yeah. you can get out of it in nc if youre nursing. id just call the # on the card or whatever (i got jury duty when i had dd1 in 01, and got out. but the law remains)
Thanks for letting me know this. Now I can relax about it a little. I'm sending in the excuse request form.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:08 AM

I'm glad to see this link still ACTIVE!

I've been missing this thread!
Whats going on with everyone!
I'm thrilled most about the preschool. I truely love being with all my babies everyday! I was missing it more than I thought. The coffee shop is fun and a great networking center but I am so fueled being with the children. love it love it love it....

Personally things are not getting less complicated...
does that ever happen? with teens in the house?

HAVE 7 puppies to get rid of. $1500 golden doodles--have pedigree
and I will GIVE you one if you are from Mothering.com!
beautiful dogs ...no shed..have a couple of little girls that will
not get bigger than 40lbs. bigger males will get 70-75lbs.
google the breed and email me for pics.....
they are ready to take home today!!!!

MOving MOM...didn't you want one????

MarineWife and Movingmom will you email me more info
on your MW.???--for me : )

hate not seeing you all anymore!
-mercy
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM

Mercy
just googled the puppies. They are soooo cute. We are getting a puppy but will have to ask hubby if I can get one like this. The puppy we are getting is for him. I want a puppy for myself.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineWife View Post
I had a conversation with the butchers about the new Tyson meat. One guy was telling me that it wasn't selling like the old stuff. I explained to them that was probably because it wasn't hormone and antibiotic free. The 100% natural Tyson beef is just "minimally processed" after it's butchered (or whatever it's called). The cows are still given all the growth hormones and antibiotics and who knows what they are fed. They didn't even know that. I plan to either call the commissary or stop at the office the next time I'm there to tell the manager. Maybe they can do something about getting some safe beef.
We don't eat beef too often, but did buy the one they got rid of. I was so sad to see that it's gone the last time I wanted some! Did you ever talk to a manager or anything? Also, do you know of anywhere else to get it from around here?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post
We don't eat beef too often, but did buy the one they got rid of. I was so sad to see that it's gone the last time I wanted some! Did you ever talk to a manager or anything? Also, do you know of anywhere else to get it from around here?
Last time I was at the commissary I asked about it at the office and they referred me to the meat department manager, who wasn't in at the time. I have a number to call but haven't done that yet. I don't know anywhere else locally to get organic beef. There is the co-op in Wilmington and maybe the farmer's market but I'm not sure about that.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM

Has anyone tried the lowes foods store in swansboro. I have been there once so dont knwo that much about it but do know that they sell some organic stuff. I actually loved the layout of the store and that they sell reusable bags. I just got the feeling they area a pretty green store. I dont know how high they are but If it is just meat I am sure it is reasonable.
The farmers market I dont know that they sell meat there. I have only been to one thought. Iused to go to the one little booth in hubert but they closed up shop. know i got to the one on the way to richlands. I havent seen meat there but dont know. sorry i couldnt help that much but wanted to tell you about lowes foods

Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM

I do shop at Lowe's Foods for some things. It's actually in Cape Carteret just east of Swansboro. They do have a lot of organic stuff, but I haven't found much in the way of meat. They carry the Laura's brand beef, but it's not organic. They do have some prepackaged frozen stuff like burgers and such, but I haven't seen any fresh organic meat there. Minimally processed stuff, but not much organic.

mom to 2 wonderful girls born 11/05 and 10/08
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM

a friend of mine here locally is getting ready to raise a cow or two for meat.
free range grass fed no pesticides no hormones etc. She also does lamb this way. She is looking for anyone who is interested in co-op. I don't know any
specific terms but will be glad to pass along her info. Just pm me.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

I got out of jury duty! Whew!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
a friend of mine here locally is getting ready to raise a cow or two for meat.
free range grass fed no pesticides no hormones etc. She also does lamb this way. She is looking for anyone who is interested in co-op. I don't know any
specific terms but will be glad to pass along her info. Just pm me.
Definitely interested! PM'd you.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Mercy's Garden
Richlands Montessori Preschool
is holding a yardsale fund raiser to buy new materials for the classroom.
There is storage unit at Richlands Mini Storage for donations.
The yardsale is this Saturday 7am-noon. at the mini storage on 258.
right across the street Richlands Primary School is also holding a yardsale

SO HAPPY SHOPPING!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, forgot in my PM that I'm interested in the beef share, too!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

We love Signing Time on PBS kids! Just wanted to give you all the heads up that it's airing again on Saturday mornings at 8!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Are there still some Jacksonville mamas around? I am relatively new to the area- we just moved here about 3 months ago.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 PM

I am here still.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Hi! Welcome to Jacksonville! There are quite a few of us here, but we're all kind of hit or miss online it seems. Join in!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM

LAMB she has three left.
ready to go in June.
$25 deposit
$125 due at pick up
that is the cost of your lamb.
The processing plant in Trenton has a $25 kill fee and process the lamb at 70¢ a lb. usually come away with 45lbs.

viola have you gone throught this process yet?
how was the experience? how was the meat?

My friend's name is Melissa her email is
[email protected]

She has not gotten the calf yet but will need three buy-ins
didn't get the price info yet. She would eventually like to get
a cow for dairy production as well....this will mean that you must be owner/part owner of the dairy cow to recieve any unpasturized milk etc.

Melissa raises sheep goats and horses.
She gives amazing lessons. She'a a fabulous teacher
and if you haven't seen her wool felting artwork you MUST!
She and Linda from the tailspinner.com 3246166
also wanted me to pass along that they will be selling wool soakers
and teaching classes/workshops on how to make them.

The preschool yardsale was postponed until this coming SAT!
and...I think that's it! for now....
love you all
in peace
-mercy
Old 04-07-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm interested in the lamb but I'm not sure I have enough room for that much meat. Do you know how much space that would take up in a freezer?

Keep me posted on the beef and milk. I'm definitely interested in raw milk.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM

just want to know how everyone is doing we have bee really quit lately. It should be really nice tomorrow, and next week my hubby leaves for Germany so we will be spending time together alot before he goes. I would love to do something this week or weekend. would anyone like to go to the northeast park down from blockbuster?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 PM

I'd love to but my husband is in Norfolk and we're leaving tomorrow to visit him over the weekend and see my oldest son, who lives up there.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 PM

my hubby left last friday. does anyone else have children that dramatically change in 12 hours after there daddy leaves. My children screamed and let the dog out five times since he left ugh!!!!!! what is going on any tips would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 PM

some where old and I didn't want to "bug" anyone. I'm new here, and have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have a 5 mo. old son. I am looking for a alt. vax. friendly ped. for my son in the area.

Thanks ladies.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:28 AM

urbanmomma77 ~ I too would love to know about anti vax friendly doctor around here but i still havent found one. I just tell the docs here that i dont want to give them any vax and well i get the looks but other then that i dont get much yet. I was selectively vaxing but now we are done all together so maybe i will get more then one aggressive doc that wants me to vax but we are military so i dont know about civilian docs out there. sorry i was no help but maybe we both will get this ? answered.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM

clothdipemomof2boy - we are military too, but were sent to a doc. out in town. we are currently selectively/alt. vaxing. I've been to two docs now. the first one was nice, but i couldn't take the nurses anymore so we changed to a different clinic. at this one the nurses are great, but had to listen to a 15 min. speech from doc. on how safe vaxs were (*sigh*), but he eventually "agreed" to do what i wanted, but i don't really feeling comfortable with him now.

yes, hopefully someone has some good advice
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Jacksonville Children's Clinic seems to be at least used to seeing vax refusals. They've got a form now that they have me sign when I refuse a vax. And there's not really any hassle about it...just "oh, sign this, then."

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 PM

I've been to Onslow Pediatrics twice and not had a problem. Dr. Gant didn't say anything at all about me not vaxing. The other doc, a woman, gave me a little speech. I just smiled and let her talk but made it clear she wasn't going to change my mind. At the end of it, she said it was my choice, which it truly is. There is no law that requires you to vaccinate your children until you send them to school and then, of course, there are waivers. I only take my kids to the doc when they are very sick, though. I don't bother with well-baby checks because the real purpose of those is to get them vaccinated. You are not required by any law to take your kids to the doc unless they are sick. Anyway, I don't really have much help, no real recommendation. I can only say that so far I haven't had any problems with Onslow Peds.

Clothdipemommy ~ What your kids are going through with daddy leaving is totally normally. It was worse for us with my oldest son, who was 13-15 when my dh deployed. We would go through 2 weeks right after dh left and 2 weeks right after he got home that were total chaos. Think about how you feel when your dh leaves and multiply that by 100 and remove the understanding of how long he'll be gone and that he will come back. That's how your kids feel.

User Tag List