Onslow County, NC (Jacksonville, Richlands, etc.) - Page 24 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#691 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Holy cow, Heather. I don't know what I'd do with myself, if I was assigned to an OB who has a "no children ever" policy. I'm in awe. Let me know what you find in the area about good OBs! We're due in November and I haven't even begun to look.

Autumn Elisabeth

~ heartbeat.gif my Sunshine 9/21 ~ mommy to DD1 (Diva - 12/31/04) & DD2 (Tomboy - 06/01/06) ~ bonus mom to DSD (Princess - 12/18/09) ~ stork-suprise.gif 11/19/12 ~

#692 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM

The problem is I'm limited between the two offices that take Tricare and have openings..I did find one home birth midwife but she doesn't take Tricare and shes 1 1/2 hours from where we are. I'm worried about the length of time since 1 of my labors was 1 1/2 hours long and the other was under 3.. That is if we could afford it but since Tricare won't pay for it wed have to pay her whole fee (6,000.00 plus cost of labs and ultrasounds).. I don't have that kind of cash.

The other OB has horrible ratings as well but not nearly as bad as the one Im assigned now. I seriously would rather not see a doctor then go to that one.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#693 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

The problem is I'm limited between the two offices that take Tricare and have openings..I did find one home birth midwife but she doesn't take Tricare and shes 1 1/2 hours from where we are. I'm worried about the length of time since 1 of my labors was 1 1/2 hours long and the other was under 3.. That is if we could afford it but since Tricare won't pay for it wed have to pay her whole fee (6,000.00 plus cost of labs and ultrasounds).. I don't have that kind of cash.

The other OB has horrible ratings as well but not nearly as bad as the one Im assigned now. I seriously would rather not see a doctor then go to that one.

Tricare won't even cover her partially? What if you dropped from Prime to Standard?

Autumn Elisabeth

~ heartbeat.gif my Sunshine 9/21 ~ mommy to DD1 (Diva - 12/31/04) & DD2 (Tomboy - 06/01/06) ~ bonus mom to DSD (Princess - 12/18/09) ~ stork-suprise.gif 11/19/12 ~

#694 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Id have to drop to standard then they cover like 1000-1500 from what Ive been told.. And if you are on standard you have to pay a co-pay on ultrasounds and lab work (usually 15 %). If something happened and I had to transfer to the hospital I would have to pay a 15% co-pay for the delivery and post partum care. Its just not fiscally a good idea since we aren't 100% guaranteed that DH will even be able to reenlist and if he can't hes out of a job.. We need all the money we can safe just in case we end up having to move and get reestablished.

Hubby is joking that this one is probably going to come so quickly she will end up born at home so it doesn't matter but it matters to me.. I hate feeling like I'm trapped. greensad.gif I have panic attacks when I feel out of control, I've already had a couple trying to deal with all of this.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#695 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Don't panic! Breathe in, breathe out. It'll work out. I've started looking, too. If I find something that could be useful to you, I'll send it your way.

Autumn Elisabeth

#696 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Im a bit better than I was this weekend. I seriously have issues with doctors and hospitals, my mother had cancer and I spent 5 years as her caregiver. After seeing how she was treated and the doctors total lack of care I could never trust doctors again. I have a bit more trust in military doctors because I was in the military but not much. My husband jokes my blood pressure doubles in the doctors office but its not a joke. Its pretty bad..

Im going to go see the second office thats open.. If they aren't going to work Im going to have a heart to heart with Tricare and see what else is open but not in the system. I know Tricare well enough to know there are doctors/midwives that are approved but not in the system. My husband says he feel bad for the Tricare people and the doctor I get because Im not the type to roll over and do what they want, Ill fight them tooth and nail.. Opps, I guess Im a bit stubborn.

#697 of 700 Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

wink1.gif It's not a bad thing to be stubborn. I know Tricare can be a pain, when you're dealing with them. My first husband is USAF and I thought I was going to kill the Tricare people, when I was pregnant with my girls. I'm not dealing with Tricare this time around, because S/O and I are not married, yet. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse, though. Hopefully, they'll be willing to work with you some and help you find a doctor that's open to your birth plan/needs.

Autumn Elisabeth

#698 of 700 Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Hi, about Tricare; I thought some of the homebirthing CNMs out that way were/are in the Tricare network. I know there are folks w/ National Guard in the Winston/Greesnboro & surrounding areas, which are areas that I serve, and I plan on applying at a Tricare provider this summer. It seems to be a fairly easy process.

Regards,

Karen Benfield, CNM, MN & Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, serving a 2 hour radius of Hickory, NC

#699 of 700 Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 AM

I am thinking about doing a homebirth but I don't know who does that around here. Can you give me some contact information for who you know who does? Thank you.

#700 of 700 Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 PM

HI!  I'm not actually in Onslow anymore, but I used to be, and I posted here under the name ColeysMama.  If you go way back to the start of the thread, I'm there - sounding like the young, somewhat know-it-all that I was back in '06.  

I'm in Wilmington now, TTC #2, and just wanted to pop in and say hey.  The only person I see who I knew back then was MovingMomma....  

blessedmommy239 - Olivia Marshburn is a CNM who does homebirths.  I met her when I had my son - she was working at NHCL then - and she was absolutely wonderful.  Her website is www.midwiferyservices.net.  I'm planning to use her for a homebirth for #2.  There are (or at least were) a handful of others, but no CNM's - not sure if that is a concern for you because of legal stuff or insurance or whatever.  But just from my limited interaction, I'd recommend Olivia!

Marilyn jog.gif, wife to John bikenew.gif, mommy to Cole kid.gif, #2 due 11/18/14 makebabe.gif

run long, lift heavy, breathe deep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page